• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I made the move to the 308 platform for multiple reasons:

-I wanted to build a rifle from the ground up and I already own an AR in 5.56 so building one there seemed redundant

-I already own a few rifles in .308 so there's no new caliber to deal with when it comes to ammo, reloading dies, etc

-I wanted a semi-auto that has the versatility that the caliber seems to provide

-It looks like it would be fun

• 2 weeks later...

I started out with a FN FAL with a Clinton Stock on it.  Big mistake since I couldn't reach the safety without reaching over the gun with my right hank to flip it.  Then I discovered what a pain in the butt the triggers were.  So I sold it and picked up a Federal Ordinance M14 (M1A)  That Chinese receiver always left a fowell taste in my mouth and I frankly couldn't get past it. So I sold that one also even though it shot pretty good.  Then I stumpled across the holy grail a 1998 Armalite AR--10T with the 24 inch barrel.  It had a Springfield III generations scope on it and I was tickled pink.  It was not long before I was consistently shooting 1/2 MOA groups with 44 grains of Varget behind a 168 grain A-max.  By then I still had the bug and had picked up a Winchester Featherweight in .308 that shot so well I wouildn't sell it for $2000.  I was amazed and decided I needed a truck gun in .308 that I could put in my work truck to handle Problem critter.  Now it's no fancy grouper but for $350 bucks sdI'm not going to complain.  Then I thought I needed an FNAR.  Nope I picked up the 20 inches rifle and liked the fit and finidhidn't it was old and some people like them

Where is the edit function?  My computer keyboard died on the above post and I was in the middle of falling asleep while typing it.  

Any way the FNAR never really turned me on like my Armalite AR-10T.  The accuracy was nothing to write home about and the trigger was no fun and I couldn't find a way to fix it.  So when I took it to our local range after seeing the Wingham Hunter .308 AR I decided I had to have it.  I put it there on consignment for $950.  $900 to me and $50 to the shop and he called me in 3 hours saying it sold.  So Thursday I went down and purchased the Windham Hunter with the Nutmeg wood stock. I spent Thursday evening replacing the charging handle latch, putting in a 1.5 lb Jard trigger and Burris XTR3-12X50 Scope. Friday after finishing a termite job I was able to shoot 4 shot 3/4 or perhaps a 5/8" group center to center and the 5th shot I pulled down to make it a 5 shot 1" group. She is a shooter my friends. I'm going to turn this rifle into my deer rifle and hog hammer.

it came down to a toss up between the .308 AR10, or the 6.5Grendel, ultimately since I don't just yet reload, I decided on the .308 for ammo availability.

and i've always liked the aesthetics of the AR10, and I am big enough a boy not to be worried about the

weight. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 2 receiver sets on the way, both Matrix Aerospace. One is the 7.62, the other is the smaller AR15 frame. I've been struggling with what calibers to go with, but I really am starting to like the idea of a creedmoor and a grendel. Both 6.5, using the same pills so less on hand for handloading. Thought it would be cool.

It's only money....

Neck surgery,had c4-c7 fused and plated and then had a pain pump put in for chronic pain then had a heart attack so I got a pacemaker and then I.........never mind.

I can't shoot the 338 win mag or the 45-70 and the 30-06 has a bit to much ump behind it and then I tried my 308 bolt and it was ok so my AR 308 journey started now I have a LR-308 and a SCAR 17S......and a crap load of ammo Bwaaaaahahaha.

I've got 2 receiver sets on the way, both Matrix Aerospace. One is the 7.62, the other is the smaller AR15 frame. I've been struggling with what calibers to go with, but I really am starting to like the idea of a creedmoor and a grendel. Both 6.5, using the same pills so less on hand for handloading. Thought it would be cool.

You could just as easily do a .308 and a 300Blk

Good question ... I offer 3 reasons; 

1. I have an AR15 in .223 / 5.56 caliber and one in 7.62x39.  I do not have an AR in .308 caliber at this very moment but it is well in the works.  

2. After I complete the .308 I'll have at least one weapon in the most common calibers of all hostile nations, to include the corrupt and worthless scam-and-scum UN, and violent criminal cartels.  I feel with the current world situation and the fact I live in a border state these are some of the basic necessities.

3. I got bored and needed to build another weapon in a caliber I didn't have.