• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a retired Msgt and Viet Nam Vet, I carried a M-16 in Nam and was not very impressed in the weapon or the .223 cartridge, though it was in its early days in 1965. Then I carried a bolt action Remington 700 BDL, 30-06 but got kind of tired of the sore and bruised sholder while wearing "t" shirts, my Remington had a solid but plate. My son built his own .223  AR-15. While trying to purchase a new Winchester 1886, 45.70 with a 26" octogen barrel (at around 12 pounds) but I was just a little late, it was sold to another bidder. I had been reading about the piston driven Ruger SR-762 and thought it was very interesting. The AR platform is extremely ergonomic and since it was chambered in the Winchester .308 cartridge, which is very available, and with some of the hotter loads has velocities approaching thperformance of the 30-06 with out the recoil and even had better accuracy I bought one. I am very satisfied with the weapon, even the higher price. Of course, like my Harley, it can tend to be a money pit with all the accessories involved

• 3 weeks later...

Was also a starting point for me, Played with the ar15 platform at the range several times, Don't care for the 5.56/.223. I wanted more range and power. Was actually looking at building around the 6.5 cartridge, have an older swedish mauser in 6.5x55 and love the 6.5. But ended up with .308 due to price. And I will say that my piston driven sig 716 feels about the same as DI ar15 in the sense of recoil. And personally I like it better. :))

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Olympic Arms PCR-1 .223 (a gift from a client) which was fun; always wanted bigger bore.  So last year my son talked me into doing the 6.8 build, which was my first build.  So, the next stop for me was the 308, just because.  Have always liked that round - good for lots of things.  So I'm just starting this one.  Much more research for this than for the 6.8.  Appreciate all of the expertise on this site.  It'll come in handy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why did I move into the .308 AR platform? That's easy. The PSA PA10 arrived on the market.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18779/s/psa-pa10-18-mid-length-stainless-steel-308-win-1-10-rifle

That and the fact that an AR chambered in the finest general purpose rifle cartridge ever devised (8mm Mauser) is not readily available.

• 3 weeks later...

I needed a weapon system for a worst case survival scenario (i.e. collapse of executive branch, poop hitting fans, that sort of thing). I started looking at survival in terms of military disciplines. Long distance shooting is cool, and I appreciate the sniper's catalog of skills, but that didn't fit. Even for fun, beyond 1000 yards is not appealing right now. Short range, like house clearing, is not something I want to do - though I can see the utility in infantryman skills, especially in survival scenarios. Ruling out infantry and sniper, I defined the action I would take as perimeter defense, hunting for food, and defending the village from marauders. I discovered the designated marksman role and found his firepower, range, and application to fit my interest. * (My interest based on no experience).

I started studying the genealogy of the battle rifle and how the DM used accurized battle rifles and infantry rifles. It was an awesome story about how the AR 10 and FN FAL were developed and deployed. Eventually the battle rifle morphed into black rifles, rather I shall call them MSRs. I am glad I did my research because I was originally looking for an FAL because it was called the right arm of the free world and it is a 7.62. I wanted a larger caliber round and not a communist weapon. My research led me to discover the AR 10 and its modern variants, the aforementioned MSRs. 

I bought a DPMS Gen 2 Bull. It's awesome. Really, I bought it because it is big and shiny. Sure, it fits the need (hunting rifle, survival in very specific situations) but I bought it because it looked awesome in the catalog. It is an awesome platform ready for parts. I bought a Vortex Viper HS LR scope for it and Magpul BUS. I feel like every rifle owner should know marksmanship well enough to use iron sights only in as many ranges and situations as possible. Eventually, I will put a Diamondhead handguard on it, maybe a JP captured buffer spring, a PRS buttstock, a bipod, and probably some other new parts.

The bottom line is, like others mentioned, I started at .308 because I wanted something different and something hefty. 

Edited by perpetualwhitebelt

Why the AR 10 platform ?  because it is the big sister to AR15 Barbie Doll ,  Playing with a M1 A is very expensive and limited ... not a lot you can do or afford in HK or FAL . 
 Biggest reason if you want something different you don't have to by a complete gun .. just another upper Or lower ( but who does that for long ) and you have a different gun ... the other platforms the best you can do is change the stock or sighting equipment .
 And having almost maxed out on AR 15s , I figured it was time to try my hand at putting together a upper for A 243 Dpms I already have a 24 in barrel and hand guard at a good price crossed my path . have a 16in AR-10b in 308 already . 
Big cal. are more fun to shoot if they are not beating you to death. even if the are more expensive to shoot.
 Speaking of being beat the guy who designed the collapsing stock for the HK was a SM freak .... only thing worse is a crescent butt plate for a 45-70 lever gun .
 I should add I have this disease , I like want most anything that goes  ...  bang ...  If I can't shoot it don't care how pretty or collectible it is .

Edited by rck

New to the site. Thought this would be a great place to start.. 

I am building my First .308 because it felt like the natural thing to do. I have built quite a few AR's in the past Year, and have yet to venture outside my comfort zone. So far it doesnt seem like a huge leap, but I am sure once I start hooting and testing, I will learn even more about the category.