• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having been born in the first half of the last Century, I tend to be "Old School" in relation to some issues. Firearms being one of those .....

I grew up Hunting, and Shooting anything I could get my hands on. I have had, and still do have, numerous versions of Military and Civilian .308 Bolt Action Rifles.  During a few tours in the Jungles and Rivers of South East Asia, I was introduced to the attributes of the M16 and the M14 Rifles. I guess, due to my proclivity to be "Old School" I prefered the M14 and the 7.62x51 for it's long range accuracy,  power, and general feel of a quality rifle. Due to my appreciation of the M14, I have a few versions of the Springfield M1a in my personal collection. I still very much enjoy them.

I am a FFL Dealer, and as such I come into contact with many different Platforms and Calibers of weapons.  It took me awhile to come to appreciate the AR-15 but I finally did, and I now have a half dozen versions in my Safe. About 5 years ago, I was lucky enought to come across a "Shooter" who needed to sell a Stunning Armalite AR-10 adorned with a Nightforce Scope. I intended to re-sell it but had to "try it out" first. Needless to say, I still have it. Since then I have put aside a DPMS SASS, and just recently a Ruger SR-762. All great weapons!

Bottom line; I love passing on to my Kids, my respect and appreciation for, this Country, Our founding principals, the Second Amendment, the Principals and Benefits of Self Sufficiency, and Firearm Ownership.

Long Live the Republic!

• 3 weeks later...

Hunting? Target? Range? Power? Natural progression after getting bored with AR-15's? Just cuz? Something else?  <munch>

Well it's been a combo...over 25 years ago with Army Reserve I was not overly impressed with the SP-1s we ran. Started hunting with a Rem. 742 in .308 many years ago as a grommet. 

Before the 2nd coming of BHO '12 I found a deal on a Colt M4, and was really impressed with the advances from the unit rifles, from long ago. Figured it was time to look at Mr. Stoner's .308s.

I'd been target glancing different .308 platforms to replace the old 742, for probably 5 years now. Would have been primarily for deer hunting, but I found the 10-T and came to see the paper punching at 800-1000m was more than just possible.  

10-T fits a niche in between the Colt and the Browning (bolt) M-1000 Eclipse in .300WM.

Thanks for a great site. 

:ecs:

Been shooting a Colt HBAR since 1994 in 5.56. Liked it, but with a rifle that heavy, it was shooting a pretty anemic round. I was used to shooting lightweight bolt 30-06's so I wasn't worried about more recoil, and thought a 308 AR just makes more sense if you are an experienced shooter. If you are not a class III rock and roller, which I am not, I would rather shoot a round with authority, since at my age, you won't see me in many three gun meets or advanced tactical drills, so no real advantage for me with a 5.56 over a 7.62x51.

Love my AR10, just wish it was a carbine instead of a rifle. Gives me reason to get another one!

I'm a deer hunter.  Have always liked the .308, although my first deer rifle was a Model 99 Savage .300.  Then I had an (in this order) HK-91 (sold due to financial hardship), a Federal Ordnance M14SA (sold because of terrible accuracy), a Ruger 77 synthetic stock lightweight (sold because of so-so accuracy), and an HK-770.

I sold the HK-770 after shooting a friends DPMS .308 with an 18" barrel.  I have no military experience, so I was over fifty years old before I ever shot an AR style firearm.  I was very impressed with the ergonomics, and it was easily more accurate than my HK.  Compared to the HK-770, MUCH easier to operate the safety while on target.  Traded the HK even trade for a new DPMS RFLR-308, 24" bull barrel.  I have changed the trigger to a Geissele SSA-E.  Other than that, the only thing I've added is the scope and the sling.  It does weigh a lot, and I wouldn't want to lug it around hunting out west, but here in Kentucky I hunt from a comfy and roomy stand.  In this capacity, it works great for me.  And if I ever do go out west for a hunt, I'll have an excuse to buy another rifle! (I'm thinking maybe a Marlin Express MXLR-308. Did I mention I've always liked the .308?)

Edited by kayak

Actually, had ZERO interest in AR platform rifles period, until the politicians started threatening to ban them, especially here in California. This was the only reason I got into ARs period. They said I couldn't have one (if they had their way), so That made me want one! As for AR.308, seemed like a natural progression, and still "reasonably" priced ammo, though I'm still trying to figure out how to justify the prices for some of the hardware out there!

Ditto Kommifornia; I remember watching a fellow grunt carrying a 7.62 on our runs and did not want anything to do with it. Now I am retired and can just step outside or drive to the range, the 308,7.62AR is just the ticket. funny how things change. I do have a couple of 15's (sentimental value) next step perhaps another 308 or maybe the 338. :sniper:

• 2 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to shoot a friends Armalite  AR 10 rifle for a weekend a few years back. Just a couple of those nice days to be outside. Did a bunch on the bench and a good amount off. The gun just shot so good.  Accurate as I could be. It just felt right. The balance, the recoil, the result . Also  my brother in-law really enjoys his DPMS in .243 which I had some time to handle. My old Bushmaster AR15 HBAR still shoots lights out so the progression to the larger platform almost felt obvious. I am really looking forward to spending some time with this new Armalite carbine I just acquired.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's why Jett Webb did.

a9484630-aab7-11e3-b840-5d0e97e94131_134

A hunter in North Carolina says he bagged a 500-pound wild pig last month.

Jett Webb, a 34-year-old from Conetoe, N.C., was hunting boar at the White Oak Ranch Hunting Club in Bertie County on Feb. 28 when he spotted the giant swine.

"It was very surreal,” Webb told WNCT-TV. “It was a shock. It was very humbling to say the least, when you walk up on a beast that big and you say, 'Oh my gosh. I had no idea that there could be something that big running around the woods of Eastern North Carolina.’"

The beast had been seen on trail camera footage years ago, but hunters had failed to capture it until Webb, who says he fired a single shot from a .308-caliber AR-15 rifle from about 50 yards, took it down.

"The Mohawk down the back, the tusks really lean, the muscular big front end," Webb said. "This is far from a domesticated docile pig that we're used to." Wild boars typically weigh between 100 and 200 pounds.

Mike Mansell, the president of the club, said while the wild boar population is invasive, the sheer size of the pig Webb nabbed is rare.

“It takes your breath away for a second to realize how big this hog is,” Mansell said. “It took up the entire bed of the pickup truck."

But while it's big, it's certainly not the largest boar ever bagged. In 2005, a guide at a hunting club in Alapaha, Ga., shot and killed an 800-pound hog known by locals as Hogzilla. The pursuit was the subject of a National Geographic documentary.

It also wasn't Webb's first big boar.

In 2012, he caught "a similar-sized" pig that's mounted on a wall of the White Oak Ranch Hunting Club. But this one won't be.

"We’re not going to waste anything,” Webb said. “That pig will provide food for me and my family for a good year."

• 4 weeks later...

Having built four ar15s and using one for 20 years in the military; familiarity and reliability were high on my list when deciding on a long range rifle. As far as Armalite vs. DPMS... although there are more choices available for DPMS as far as barrels and billet uppers / lowers I still went with Armalite. I like the company and had previously acquired a lot of magazines for it so it was natural for me to migrate that direction. I have not been disappointed yet.

The A.R. 15's just didn't seem appealing to me. I have a 22 250 Remington 688 that's my Varmet rifle. Very accurate never owned a AR never had a semi automatic rifle except for a model 60 Marlin 22 all my rifles are bolt guns. I'm just having a blast shooting the DPMS G2 SASS 7.62-308.

I have owned and shot all of the military versions of the 7.62 x 51 semi-auto battle rifles available.  I fell in love this the caliber but I got tired of maintaining the old beasts and wanted something in that caliber that was modern, accurate, and realible.  During the past three years, I've sold off the collectibles and put some of the money into my DPMS which I'm thrilled with.  The muscle memory is pretty close to the FAL and I love the rail system for quick change sights and accessories if I want them.  Just seems like a natural progression to me.  I have no desire to return to an M1a, FAL, or CETME anymore.

Rome

It's a pleasure to read this. i'm new to the platform and haven't cleaned it yet to start range testing......thank you for the advanced encouragement!!!

take care, bill

i just never felt comfortable with the 223 round. being in law enforecement it was always the question, they have 30-06's and big guns, why should i go after them with a squirrel gun?? my S&W 59 was out about 6 months when the factory issued a warning to those of us in sandy areas. if you have to fight and roll around in the sand, the firing pin is taperd and a grain of sand may jam it. my dad bought it from me and i bought a 6 inch Python for duty. when i left i sold the Python and when my dad passed i got the S&W 59 back........i'll post a target of the combat shoot i did in 2011.......i cant wish i still had the Python.....you have to move on!

take care, bill