• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

Many thanks for the link, Crankbait. much appreciated!

This is THE only aftermarket charging handle that I have personally been able to find that works with the unique DPMS Gen2 receiver size ( more compact than the larger frame LR-308).

When I ran an Eotech XPS-02, adding a Badger latch to the stock CH was just fine.  As I progressed from 1-6x and now 4-12x Leupold scopes, the larger charging handle really helped tremendously - especially with gloves.  It's a tight fit between the rear scope body and the charging handle.

As a side note, I use high temp grease on the charging handle body and the inside upper receiver groove - I think it really helps, and I noticed that the OEM anodization had been wearing out on the original part.  

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a lot of Appleseed events, where the standard is "controlling everything within a 500 yard range". My Ruger 10/22 and PSA AR-15 Carbine were insufficient, other than getting the skills down. A .308 was needed to engage the Known Distance plates and other targets out to 500 yards, and I have always admired the AR-10 platform. Thus...natural progression?

New "AR-10" user here.  I guess it is a growth thing for me.  First a Colt M4 a few years ago and then last year a Daniel Defense 6.8 AR that I absolutely love.  Well 308 seemed to be the next progression.  I got a gently used custom DPMS SASS Gen II. It already has a competition trigger and lightweight handguard replacing the factory ones. Waiting on my new Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 to mount on it.  I'll hope to add my Omega and I should be ready to test it out.

I'll be reading a lot on the site and gathering knowledge from the experts!

New "AR-10" user here.  I guess it is a growth thing for me.  First a Colt M4 a few years ago and then last year a Daniel Defense 6.8 AR that I absolutely love.  Well 308 seemed to be the next progression.  I got a gently used custom DPMS SASS Gen II. It already has a competition trigger and lightweight handguard replacing the factory ones. Waiting on my new Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 to mount on it.  I'll hope to add my Omega and I should be ready to test it out.

I'll be reading a lot on the site and gathering knowledge from the experts!

welcome to the forum MD feel free to make a post in the introduction area :)

For the mythical 'One Gun' Concept per Jeff Cooper.

One gun that can do everything well, consistently, and fairly easily

in a compact, lightweight platform.

This is why I came over here.  I traded off my Ruger Scout rifle and another M77 in .308 to get into my APF 16" carbine.  Very happy so far, as the gun shoots better that I do, and does what I couldn't get my bolt guns to do for me.  Besides it has shown the ability to digest any .308 ammo that i feed it....what's not to like?

New to the 308 AR and new to the forum. 

I've built ARs in 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39. 

I also redid a Saiga AK in 308 from a shorter import format.  It has become my favorite caliber, but the AR platform is my favorite rifle, so AR-10 in 308. 

The lower is completed using Aero Precision upper and lower. When the funds become available I'll get the bcg and barrel. Can't wait to get it finished. 

image.jpeg

New to the 308 AR and new to the forum. 

I've built ARs in 5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39. 

I also redid a Saiga AK in 308 from a shorter import format.  It has become my favorite caliber, but the AR platform is my favorite rifle, so AR-10 in 308. 

The lower is completed using Aero Precision upper and lower. When the funds become available I'll get the bcg and barrel. Can't wait to get it finished. 

image.jpeg

welcome to the forum feel free to post up in the intro area

Because I can!

The first ar I ever fired was a 308 DPMS AP4 6-7 years ago.  Squeezed off a few rounds out of a rifle that belonged to a guy I'd been shooting the breeze with that day at the range.  I had my m14 and was amazed at how little recoil the ap4 had (though since I've started doing my pushups and pull-ups the recoil of the m14 is minimal).  I never had any interest in the ar platform until the coward in CT a few years back.  Since then I've had fun with the 5.56 but I'm a much bigger fan on 30 cal rifles as I love my Garand and M14.  So I'm going to at least build a complete lower, if not the entire rifle.  Sure would be nice if there was one standard like there is with the 15 instead of everyone and their brother having their own design.

• 3 weeks later...

Bear with me as this is going to be an epic post! I'm talking mini novel size post. LOL

I was first introduced to the M-16 in 1977 while in the Army. I spent 13 years in the US Army qualifying with what we fondly referred to as the "pea shooter". Fast forward what seems like a gazillion years, and two years ago I snagged a brand new Bushmaster Carbon-15. Brand new was not exactly correct at the time of purchase. I knew it wasn't, the seller said it was un-fired, I just kept my mouth shut. Why you ask? Because sitting in the factory box that came with the Carbon-15 was a no name billet upper. I even asked him what the spare upper was all about.  His answer was that it was a factory spare. Uh OK, for 400 bucks I kept my mouth shut, purchased the rifle, and exited staged left quick like.

What an awesome little home defence rifle. The dang thing weighs in at 5 pounds with a full magazine. I wasn't worried about the durability of it, as I sure as heck wasn't going to be jumping into foxholes with it any time soon. And it shoots fantastic. It's a damn feather weight to say the least. And was perfect for my home defence needs. I sold the stripped billet upper on Armslist and left it in the factory configuration. I ended up having less than 300 bucks in that AR. I certainly didn't get hurt on that deal and gave it to my brother last year for a Christmas present.

That little Carbon-15 sparked my love affair for the Casey Stoner design all over again. I was a tanker in the Army and shooting the M240 7.62X51 coax machine gun kind of spoiled me as far as the 5.56 pea shooter round. Shoot an M-16 with iron sights then go shoot an M-60 and you'll know where I'm coming from. It's the shock and awe factor of the 308, and to me, it's much more versatile than an AR-15. The DPMS LR-308 Oracle I bought is just about the same size (length) as the Carbon-15. That's the only thing the two have in common. I certainly wouldn't want to go face to face with a bear and an AR-15. The AR-10 platform evens the playing field in my eyes. Yeah it maybe a little heavier than a my Carbon-15, and by the specs the 16" HBAR Oracle, only weighs 3.5 pounds more. The .308 has better bullet ballistics all the way around. To me the knock down power far out weighs the cost difference in ammo. And I'm not one to shoot 500 rounds out of a rifle every month either. Plus an AR-15 at the range is about as common as the common cold. Every one seems to have one.

For what I paid for my Oracle, I couldn't build a decent AR-15, it was a damn deal to say the least. I have always liked the AR-10 platform I just couldn't afford a real AR-10. That was until I found my LR-308. When I found it I thought, "Crap its a DPMS", that changed once I started looking into the LR-308 reviews. DPMS didn't have the best reputation with their AR-15s at one time. It's like an entirely different company makes the LR-308. The reviews are fantastic. The 16" barrel made me kind of nervous being it's .308, until I watched youtube videos with guys hitting a gong, at 600-1000 yards with one. These things can be tack drivers right out of the box. And since the Oracle is the "plain Jane" version, I have the money to mod it to my needs and liking. From what I researched on line, the LR\SR AR-10 version, has more of a following for after market goodies to boot. More "win, win" in my book. I don't really plan on modding it to death either. I have a Millet Red Dot I'm going to use for now. It will work just fine for home defence and out to around 150 yards. I just haven't made up my mind on optics yet. I'll polish the trigger group to smooth it out and install a lighter trigger spring for now. I don't mind the Glacier hand guard, but a free floating one is on my shopping list. I want to keep it as light as possible. That's one of the reasons I snagged the little 16" Oracle. It may not be a sniper rifle, but for an all around rifle, it sure fits the bill nicely. And much more so than an AR-15 in my mind. It will be delivered to my FFL on Monday. It's the first time in my life, that Monday, can't get here fast enough! :)

And thanks for reading my mini novel!

Welcome to the forum bean, feel 

Bear with me as this is going to be an epic post! I'm talking mini novel size post. LOL

I was first introduced to the M-16 in 1977 while in the Army. I spent 13 years in the US Army qualifying with what we fondly referred to as the "pea shooter". Fast forward what seems like a gazillion years, and two years ago I snagged a brand new Bushmaster Carbon-15. Brand new was not exactly correct at the time of purchase. I knew it wasn't, the seller said it was un-fired, I just kept my mouth shut. Why you ask? Because sitting in the factory box that came with the Carbon-15 was a no name billet upper. I even asked him what the spare upper was all about.  His answer was that it was a factory spare. Uh OK, for 400 bucks I kept my mouth shut, purchased the rifle, and exited staged left quick like.

What an awesome little home defence rifle. The dang thing weighs in at 5 pounds with a full magazine. I wasn't worried about the durability of it, as I sure as heck wasn't going to be jumping into foxholes with it any time soon. And it shoots fantastic. It's a damn feather weight to say the least. And was perfect for my home defence needs. I sold the stripped billet upper on Armslist and left it in the factory configuration. I ended up having less than 300 bucks in that AR. I certainly didn't get hurt on that deal and gave it to my brother last year for a Christmas present.

That little Carbon-15 sparked my love affair for the Casey Stoner design all over again. I was a tanker in the Army and shooting the M240 7.62X51 coax machine gun kind of spoiled me as far as the 5.56 pea shooter round. Shoot an M-16 with iron sights then go shoot an M-60 and you'll know where I'm coming from. It's the shock and awe factor of the 308, and to me, it's much more versatile than an AR-15. The DPMS LR-308 Oracle I bought is just about the same size (length) as the Carbon-15. That's the only thing the two have in common. I certainly wouldn't want to go face to face with a bear and an AR-15. The AR-10 platform evens the playing field in my eyes. Yeah it maybe a little heavier than a my Carbon-15, and by the specs the 16" HBAR Oracle, only weighs 3.5 pounds more. The .308 has better bullet ballistics all the way around. To me the knock down power far out weighs the cost difference in ammo. And I'm not one to shoot 500 rounds out of a rifle every month either. Plus an AR-15 at the range is about as common as the common cold. Every one seems to have one.

For what I paid for my Oracle, I couldn't build a decent AR-15, it was a damn deal to say the least. I have always liked the AR-10 platform I just couldn't afford a real AR-10. That was until I found my LR-308. When I found it I thought, "Crap its a DPMS", that changed once I started looking into the LR-308 reviews. DPMS didn't have the best reputation with their AR-15s at one time. It's like an entirely different company makes the LR-308. The reviews are fantastic. The 16" barrel made me kind of nervous being it's .308, until I watched youtube videos with guys hitting a gong, at 600-1000 yards with one. These things can be tack drivers right out of the box. And since the Oracle is the "plain Jane" version, I have the money to mod it to my needs and liking. From what I researched on line, the LR\SR AR-10 version, has more of a following for after market goodies to boot. More "win, win" in my book. I don't really plan on modding it to death either. I have a Millet Red Dot I'm going to use for now. It will work just fine for home defence and out to around 150 yards. I just haven't made up my mind on optics yet. I'll polish the trigger group to smooth it out and install a lighter trigger spring for now. I don't mind the Glacier hand guard, but a free floating one is on my shopping list. I want to keep it as light as possible. That's one of the reasons I snagged the little 16" Oracle. It may not be a sniper rifle, but for an all around rifle, it sure fits the bill nicely. And much more so than an AR-15 in my mind. It will be delivered to my FFL on Monday. It's the first time in my life, that Monday, can't get here fast enough! :)

And thanks for reading my mini novel!

welcome to the forum bean, feel free to post up in the intro forum.

brother blue was a tanker too, thanks for your service

Welcome to the forum bean, feel 

welcome to the forum bean, feel free to post up in the intro forum.

brother blue was a tanker too, thanks for your service

Thanks for the Welcome Shepp. I kind of introduced myself in the DPMS forum. I'll post in the Intro forum too. I promise it won't be an epic post like the last one! LOL And no need to thank me for my service, it was an honor to serve this great country of ours. And it was the best damn job I've ever had!

I took a really big doe last week with my DPMS Gen2.  Very humane kill - she just dropped where she stood.  I know guys hunt deer with their 5.56's, I just feel better doing that with the .308.  It was a 125 yard shot standing amongst cover.  I used a hand load - 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 43gr AR Comp powder, coal 2.750"

We've already enjoyed a marinated and grilled tenderloin roast as well as a big pot of chili.  Everyone wants some venison - I plan on getting another one next week.  I have another load I want to try that has grouped very tight at the range and it zips along at 2860fps - 165gr Sierra GameKing, 50gr (c) Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR, 2.800" coal.

With the 2.800" coal, my brother ( SIG 762 ) and I prefer the metal DPMS mags - he had a few feed issues with the PMAGs.

Started with a 91/30 MN. Then got a M38 Carbine Nagant.  Found a Zastava single stack AK. Cut the mag well up and drilled the poop outta it. converted it to a standard double stack AK. Then came a Glock, while I have always had my eyes on AR's being a 22 YO kid never really had the means to buy one (espically since that was when the big scare came and a standard bushmaster was 1200$) so that really led me to converting the Zastava to high cap mags. Figured if I could accomplish that I could put together a lower.  Always had a fascination with SBR's and when the Sig Tac brace came out built my first 5.56. It was a pistol with a 10.5 Govt. Profile barrel and carbine gas system. The whole AR platform really engulfed me with the simplicity/functionality. Built a couple AR rifles and got tired of going out to the range to blow through ammo and just shoot stuff 50-75yrds down range. Told myself  I wanna start to target shoot and learn how to take down targets further out. Just finished my first LR308 and ready to teach myself! ??

Edited by duuuuuuce

• 3 months later...

I've been in a quandary since I qualified with the 7.62x51mm M14 in 1966 then given the M16 in Nam. I loved both but must say it was much easier carrying the plastic fantastic rifle. After the Army I never gave either rifle much thought - doing just fine with a Marlin 336C , Marlin Model 60, Remington 870 and a few handguns. The 1994 AWB, its sunset in 2004, my retirement, then the election of 2008 got me thinking it was now or never to add a few firearms that could get banned. I put together a few AR-15s that worked well but couldn't get that old M14 out of my mind. I finally got an M1A Scout but kept my eye on the 308 AR market. When ArmaLite released the A series compatible with PMAGs I really got interested. Then they introduced the $1000 AR-10A DSR10 and I grabbed one. I've built many 5.56 ARs because I could get what I wanted better with a build than a factory rifle but this time I was able to get a factory AR the way I wanted it. Thanks ArmaLite!

Still in that old quandary, I usually shoot the 5.56 but love the M1A and AR-10. Honestly, it's hard to have too many tools in the shed and a 308 AR is an important tool to have! I'm glad to have one and hope we're able to buy quality firearms well into the future. This is a great time to buy an AR, 5.56 or 7.62, never better, the quality is high and the price is low. Don't put it off too long, we don't know what the future has in store.

Edited by Quentin

My AR15/Retro M16 builds included 1966 XM16E1 (Gray Transitional with BFA Colt Complete upper and XM gray partial fence NDS lower) 1972 Colt M16A1/603 (Black Complete Colt/Kaiser upper with Black NDS M16A1 lower) 1975 Colt M16A1 (Gray Complete Colt/Harvey upper with Gray partial fence NDS XM16E1 lower , M16A2 HBAR (20"HBAR with Green Furniture) ,Retro CAR 15 ( Early A2 upper with XM177E2 barrel configuration and old school Aluminum telescoping buttstock and 6 hole carbine handguards ) . After those a Retro Classic ArmaLite AR10A2 (with green furniture and original configuration 20" barrel ) seemed like a great option and progression in learning & building the platforms ...   

14 hours ago, Quentin said:

Outstanding retro builds, Gator! Love to see pictures!

I've never been a pic kinda guy but I may do a few of those "Parts laid out" pics showing the progress as I purchase bits & pieces on my Retro Classic AR10A2 build ... lol    Here is my first pic here of what I aspire to create

arm_10a2.jpg

Edited by Gator Monroe

Even when I was in the USMC, the M16/AR-15 seemed a little, please forgive me, but for a guy that is 6"1' tall it was toy like.

Small, light, tiny little bullet, and with the telescoping stocks seeming even shorter, is not impressive for me.

The AR-308, now that I have most of the upper together seems like an adult version of an AR-15.

It feels nice and solid.

It also has decent round with decent power.

My M16A2 clone (HBAR 20" with green furniture ) feels like a real rifle compared to my Retro XM16E1 and M16A1 builds . The A2 has a longer butt stock and more robust feel with A2 Handguards and heavy barrel. I'm 6ft. 1 210 lbs. ( I am building an ArmaLite AR 10 A2 to have a differing take on the platform ...

• 3 weeks later...

Been shooting a lot of 5.56 since I just finished this over-the-top carbine build.  

Been buying Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT in 2000 lots for 8 cents each, and Hornady 75gr HPBT Match in 2000 lots for 15 cents each.  I use Lake City brass that I full length size with the RCBS AR small base die ( to case head space ), and trim with a Giraud Tri Trimmer.

It's just really economical for high round count range days.  

I'm taking the DPMS Gen 2 .308 to the 200 yard and 600 yard lines at the range.

image.jpg

I'm U.S. Army retired, and spent my entire adult life (seems like) with an AR style rifle in my hands. I have great faith in the little gun as an effective tool in most instances, but there are times when you need to penetrate cover better. I thought about an M1A, but the design and layout of an AR style rifle just feels right to me. It was a simple choice to go into a .308 AR.