• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

I started with the AR-15 platform and built several of them....6x45, 300 BO, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPCII, 450 BM, 458 Socom......

I had a chance to fire one of my friends DPMS 308's and then decided to get rid of all but one of my AR-15's....a 300 BO in a pistol configuration that just handles too sweet in CQ to let go of it....and switch to the AR-10...the number 1 reason in a word: 

FIRE POWER!

Well....two words!  ::)

Why use a pop gun when you can have a real rifle! 

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking I spent 28 years (before going to the 308) with the AR-15/M-16 and know the platform well. I have always had 30 caliber bolt guns and I was issued a pair of M60Ds for work (Helicopter Crew Chief) never had a 30 cal semi auto of my own, so I decided to build one. Then I bought an M14/M1A and built an AR 308 for my boy. So I guess it was only natural to go with the 308 version of the AR-15 for me. Just another tool in the tool chest for things that need to be done.

• 1 month later...

I started out with a Bushmaster 223/.556 but quickly realized not enough fire power. Then I built 7.62x39 after working out FTE turned out to be a great gun. It now shoots brass or steel cased equally well. Then I bought a 450 Bushmaster to go bear hunting in Alaska. Great fire power, loads of fun to shoot and very accurate for such a load. Just bought a DPMS Compact hunter in 308/7.62. Picked up a few Magpul 10 round mags and love this gun. This is now my long range AR, as well as my new deer rifle. But as for nock down power under 200 yards the 450 is hard to beat.

I gained the experience with the m-60 and an m16a3 in the Marines in the 90s. After coming home a purchased a couple of ar15s and then I moved in to assembling some . I eventually did a couple of 80%ers.About 6 months ago at the range while test firing one of my ars I had the pleasure of firing an lr-308. It brought back some old memories and I've been hooked since. Of course i wanted to assemble it my way. I used dpms lower and an a3 upper . mega 18" barrel . 15" freefloat rail. And ace skeleton stock with rifle buffer. By far my favorite. I definately like 308 over 5.56 . I wish I liked buying the rounds more.

• 3 weeks later...

I started by shooting my buddies guns, caught the bug and am building three of my own, a 5.56 with heavy barrel and some goodies, a DPMS-spit-.308 that has a bull barrel and dressed up a bit-but not done, and an economy model 5.56 that will ride on my quad ect. I came here to learn more about the .308 also. I imagine there are at least a few unhappy with DPMS folks running around here arent there, I know I am one of them.         I wanted to ask a question here because Im a newbie to this, what parts on a DPMS design .308 are and arent compatible with the AR-15? I mean I know a lot of them are, and some of them are not, I would just like to get the list strait in my mind so if I need to I can tell my buddies if they happen to do a .308 also. I made the mistake of buying three sets of lower kits for the ar-15, and
I know the pins are different, also I bought barrel nuts ect, and am using free floating handguards so I have a supply of barrel nuts ect, that I will need to do something with, not to mention buffers ect. I got a little carried away when ordering, I just got tired of the wait times and thought this might speed things up a bit, I was wrong on that one for sure ; ).    Anyway I hope somebody can answer that question for me, and any advise on spraying cerracoat via an airbrush? I have some plain lowers that I want to paint up, and a barrel-because it is soo shiny that I want to downplay it, the stainless looks polished on it, not bead blast-which is what I asked for.  I am going to read up on the info here now and will probably find the info right in front of me, but hey I just decided to ask anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I was contemplating an alternate caliber AR-15 at the time.  What I really wanted was longer range and a larger projectile and 6.5 Grendel was going to be it.  With the intent on buying an upper in 6.5, I went deal hunting on Slickguns.  That was when I discovered Aero Precision had JUST released their M5 forged receiver sets for a song so that was the mark for me...  so I said fucks it!  Go Big or Go Home - thus the build commenced.

Some $1400.00 later I've got a nice custom build with every part selected by me - exactly how I wanted it.  And so far it eats anything I feed it. <thumbsup>

But... as this sickness goes - Now I have my .308, I'm back to where I started contemplating an alternate caliber AR-15.  This time I'm jumping on the .300BLK wagon.  I'm needing a new "pistol" for "handgun" season! ;) ;)

Well , this is my first rifle, just hunted with a 12g shotgun.  Will be going to the range this weekend to sight in my scope.  Plan to hog and deer hunt with.  All I knew was that I wanted a semi auto rifle to hunt with.  Got my dpms oracle 308 with a vortex 3-9x50 scope.

Now that I'm older and have a bit of cash and time, not retired yet, I'm getting into some hobbies. My interests are all over the place including shooting 45-90 BPCR's lobbing 500 grain bullets 1000 yards down range with 90 grains of black powder. The AR platform looks fun and I wanted something that was a bit different from the .223 with more challenge. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am an old codger, brown shoe Marine, Retired gunsmith, expert marksman, life NRA member from 1975, NRA Rifle Pistol, Shotgun and Hunter Safety Instructor. I shoot my M1 in service rifle local competion, shoot my Colt Gold cup in bullseye and Winchester Mod 52 in smallbore competion.....Have a custom built springfield 03 3006, Ruger mini-14. and I shot M1 Garands and M-14, BARs in the Marine Corps..

...BUT I never fired or owned an AR-15 or an AR10 until yesterday when I bought a new DPMS Oracle .308 and put a 1X4 Busnell AR scope with Burris mounts and am waiting for good weather to go to the range and do some sighting in and fun shooting. ..

..Now, I have more questions than a congressman on steroids. I have read some stuff and wondered about if it is really necessary to buy DPMS CLAW oil and lube the innards, or would 30 WT Quaker State work just as well. I am one to do thangs by the book, but also like to sift out the B.S.

Thanks for letting me in the room... even though I do live in Comanche County Texas. :banana: <thumbsup>

P.S.

I like to hunt deer, rabbits, doves, ducks, pheasants squirrels, Ferel Hogs coyotes, and Ham sammihiches! and my favorite could be BaconCheeseburgers

Edited by mrmackc