• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crankbait said:

The .308 is just the cat's ass in terms of reloading payback.  I use Lake City Brass.  The smallest payback is against bulk M-80 - where I save 25 cents per round.  Much faster reloading return as compared to 5.56.  With an AR, it is just so easy to burn through rounds at the range !

If you reload that M80 brass up to FGMM standard, you don't even talk about payback. My M80 ammo is purchased so I can shoot it up with kids and people not so interested in accuracy and prep the fired brass  for some good loads.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

If you reload that M80 brass up to FGMM standard, you don't even talk about payback. My M80 ammo is purchased so I can shoot it up with kids and people not so interested in accuracy and prep the fired brass  for some good loads.

^^+1 down the road!

I was shooting a tin metal home made target from a 100 yards up against a 8" to 10" pine tree with my AR15 .

My buddy was with me and shot the same target with his Remington 308 and it went thru the pine tree. Thats when i seen how much more power of a 30 cal rifle is:thumbup:

Got the bug now. I dont think there is a cure........

1 hour ago, JJ109 said:

I was shooting a tin metal home made target from a 100 yards up against a 8" to 10" pine tree with my AR15 .

My buddy was with me and shot the same target with his Remington 308 and it went thru the pine tree. Thats when i seen how much more power of a 30 cal rifle is:thumbup:

More cow bell

16 hours ago, buttonbuck said:

I picked mine up as a cockroach gun and it will probably stay that way b/c I truly love the weight of my Weatherby for hiking around deer season it's a svelte setup.  The toilet bugs come in by the dozen it's just not possible for me to take as many with a bolt vs semi-auto.....wish I were that good!   

Cockroaches, toilet bugs? Are you on the southern border by any chance? :laffs:

On 2/4/2017 at 3:43 PM, JJ109 said:

Funny how the AR15's  get more safe time once you get some 308 AR's.

On 2/3/2017 at 9:21 PM, Sisco said:

I hear you on the accuracy.  I compared Hornady 150gr FMJ-BT w/cannelure set in prepped LC brass set @ 2.700 COL with NATO LC M-80 ball on the bench @ 200 yards and was frankly surprised at the performance difference - significantly  tighter groups and fewer flyers with the reloads.

8 hours ago, Sisco said:

Funny how the AR15's  get more safe time once you get some 308 AR's.

I sold my last one not 3 weeks ago a vintage HBAR.  It became clear there wasn't a time I was going to reach for a 5.56 again once I got hooked on the 308AR.  Already loved the projectile, but adding semi-auto?  Donezo.  

4 hours ago, buttonbuck said:

I sold my last one not 3 weeks ago a vintage HBAR.  It became clear there wasn't a time I was going to reach for a 5.56 again once I got hooked on the 308AR.  Already loved the projectile, but adding semi-auto?  Donezo.  

Every firearms has a reason, and purpose.  I wouldn't be reaching for a .308AR as my primary weapon for a home invasion, or anything close-in.  JMHO.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Every firearms has a reason, and purpose.  I wouldn't be reaching for a .308AR as my primary weapon for a home invasion, or anything close-in.  JMHO.

Oh I agree the 308 is the last thing I'd reach for in my home it stays tucked away used for hunting exclusively and soon to be some longer-ish range gong action.  The only reason I dumped the 15's was b/c there is no scenario I will be taking game where I'd defer to it from my 308.  The 12g scatter gun is my go to in the home 

On 2/7/2017 at 8:13 PM, 98Z5V said:

Yup! My house gun is a 300 BLK 8.5" SBR with a 6" suppressor loaded with 220 grn. subsonics. Don't want to loose any more of my hearing over some dumbass that chose the wrong house!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have always been a bolt action shooter. I was raised believing that semiautos were made for people who couldn't shoot, so they could sling a bunch of lead in hopes of one bullet hitting the mark. 2 years ago a friend brought a guest to hunt with us. He had an AR10. 

I never put down anyone's choice of firearms. But I asked many questions, so after the hunt was over, he asked if I would care to shoot it. Well it shot really well. I kept thinking about getting one since then. We'll I purchased my first one 3 days ago. I will be shooting it for the first time tomorrow.

I can't wait. 

• 2 months later...

Everyone wanted ar15s. My thought, was that a 223 round was just a 22 on steroids. I owned a S&W ar, it wasn't doing it for me. Then I wanted an ar10, after shopping around, I chose the LMT308. The gun had weight, but precision machining. From first sight and feel, this was my gun. With a 16 inch barrel and Nikon matched scope, I dropped 6 shots within in a quarters diameter at 100 yrs. It was very easy.  This gun is a true testimony to great craftsmanship.