• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Range, power, weapons-platform fundamentals, and commonality of ammo I need to keep on hand.  Logical progression with the amount of AR (15s) that I already have, and I'm not stocking a different round that I already have on hand for the bolt gun.  It just makes sense to me to have a .308 AR.

.45 ACP, 5.56mm and .308 Win are about all I need, minus the small stash of 9mm I need to run one gun.

reading these post seems allot of us had same type dreams,, wanting a AR10 has been on my list for ever, I have been shooting 308, in bolt and semi auto for almost as long, have a century arms built FAL that was disappointing at best so I sold it and built my own, used inbel lower  the rest were compliant parts,  had the cemte and just could not make my self like it, gave it to a friend,  building these 30 cal weapons on AR platform is so easy I dont understand why more people are not building them, plus its allot more cost effective.  Iwill be applying for with SOT  soon  on FFL, Hope it will generate enough to subsidise my retirement.  and If I dont make a profite I will save on parts, which will make me money.. I have allot of people here who want to bring firearms to me for work. but I can work on them abd charge until I get that pesky FFL

I have owned and shot all of the military versions of the 7.62 x 51 semi-auto battle rifles available.  I fell in love this the caliber but I got tired of maintaining the old beasts and wanted something in that caliber that was modern, accurate, and realible.  During the past three years, I've sold off the collectibles and put some of the money into my DPMS which I'm thrilled with.  The muscle memory is pretty close to the FAL and I love the rail system for quick change sights and accessories if I want them.  Just seems like a natural progression to me.  I have no desire to return to an M1a, FAL, or CETME anymore.

Rome

I remember when the AR 10 first came out (not the org. ones ,but back in the seventies or early eighties )& it didn't make it because it broke a lot & had feeding problems.

The metalurgy & materials have come a long way since then & I guess we can thank the new Armilite corp. for most of that . Keeping the intrest so to speak.

I have had the list of 308 auto rifles ,including a select fire FNHB ,which I sold because of a bunch of reasons ,but don't really miss it .$$ to feed it was one

The present form of AR 308 rifles are new breed of AR 10's , as reliable as there little brothers ,now .

Armilite owns the designation AR10  & they will take you to court for using AR .

The military doesn't use manufacturers names , even though we do .M 16, M14 ,M1,1903, 1903A3, 1919A4, although we think of it as the BAR, browning automatic rifle ,its true designation is M 1918 ,the list goes on.

AR stands for "Automatic Rifle " not Armilite , it was the designation by the military ,given to the new breed of black rifles.

Actually, that's not correct.  The AR is the designation for "Armalite Rifle."

The "AR" in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name. ArmaLite's AR-1, AR-5, and some subsequent models were bolt action rifles, the AR-7 a semiautomatic survival rifle and there are shotguns and pistols whose model numbers also include the "AR" prefix.

Reference:  http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/AL%20HISTORY%20COPY%202.pdf

The military designation was "M-16," and in it's experimental stages with the military (like all other experimental military equipment), it was "XM-16."  Most people remember the XM177 Vietnam-era carbine - that's what the X was all about.

I'm positive that both (users) Armalite and mrraley have more info about it.

Actually, that's not correct.  The AR is the designation for "Armalite Rifle."

The "AR" in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name. ArmaLite's AR-1, AR-5, and some subsequent models were bolt action rifles, the AR-7 a semiautomatic survival rifle and there are shotguns and pistols whose model numbers also include the "AR" prefix.

Reference:  http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/AL%20HISTORY%20COPY%202.pdf

The military designation was "M-16," and in it's experimental stages with the military (like all other experimental military equipment), it was "XM-16."  Most people remember the XM177 Vietnam-era carbine - that's what the X was all about.

I'm positive that both (users) Armalite and mrraley have more info about it.

You are correct !

I was going to work & didn't write what I wanted to or put it the way I wanted to .

I fixed the post so as not to cause any harm with incorrect info .

It was submitted by Fairchild Amilite corp. as the AR(Armilite rifle ) 15 to the military . Colt bought the rights in 1959 & kept the AR for some reason .

Most of the people I used to shoot with did not care for the little 22"s, 30 cal was what we shot.

.45's & 44 mag.'s not too many 38's . 

For one ,the .30 cal. will reach out there & have enough behind it to do some thing . Even if there is slight cover or concealment.

Having owned a .308 bolt action as my first rifle (other than .22 cal), I knew that it is a really accurate cartridge and easy to reload.  I had a few bucks saved up and decided I was gonna buy a 45-70 Marlin lever action.  While looking at 45-70's at Sportman's Warehouse . . . I noticed a Bushmaster ORC for only $799 and just couldn't resist buying it because I was expecting to have to pay $1200 or more for a .308 AR.  With my military discount, it was only $760 . . . what a deal . . . It has turned out to be a really great gun.  I really like the AR platform, and I think the .308 is great "do it all" cartridge.  I'll just have to start saving again for that 45-70 (. . . . or maybe a .50 Bewolf upper for my AR15).

Natural progression I guess..AR15 carbine, dcm rifle,hvy bbl varmint,  6.8spc, 6.5 grendel...looking for something to shoot farther better faster..was thinking about anLR260., but a 6.5 Creedmoor caught my eye. Still have the others. Tough to part with any of them. The PTR91 I traded for the Creedmoor kinda disappointed me in the accuracy department. I attribute it to lack of a solid scope mounting system, not the gun itself.I'd like another carbine length 308, not sure which way to go yet...DSA or DPMS.I'm leaning towards the free worlds right arm.

Another natural progression here.  ;D I bought an entry level AR-15, a DPMS, 3 years ago.  I placed a free floating handguard on it, modified trigger myself, and turned it a very accurate carbine.  It out-shoots my CZ 527 varmint model in .223 (with 50, and 55 gram bullets).  I think that direct gas system is one of the key designs that contributes to it's accuracy of a semi auto rifle.  So, I advanced to a larger caliber of AR, a home-build DPMS lower with a fluted bull barrel DPMS upper (when it was on sale).

• 1 month later...

I think building .308 ARs is fun, but there is a level of frustration that isn't present with building AR15s, mostly due to the proprietary nature of .308AR parts and the lack of standardization among manufacturers. I have built or bought about a dozen .308ARs over the years and have bounced from precision rigs to carbines and everywhere in between. I now have a 20" 6.5 Creedmoor on a Mega MA-TEN upper/lower combo and a modified Bushmaster .308 ORC. One is for tack driving out to 1100 yards and one is for burning up surplus ammo pinging steel out to 500. I'll let you guess which is which...

Neither is a go-to gun for social work or even hunting. I'm just so much faster with my AR15s on drills, manipulations, etc, and I have a great 6.8 rig for hunting medium-sized game and feral pigs. Plus, my AR15s are so much lighter.

That having been said, nothing puts a smile on my face like slapping those steel plates with the authority a .308-based round brings to the game.

• 2 weeks later...

After some years shooting the AR-15 platform I began to want more and less than the .223/5.56 could provide. I picked up a AR in 9mm, to be able to use at any range and the accuracy is insane.

But when I pick up a AR in .308/7.62 the power, range and potentioal for accuracy at long distances get the juices flowing. Maybe later a 50 will be in the cards.

I went as powerful as I could with the 5.56x45 using 77 gr OTM"s, and they have a reasonable amount of power and range, but I wanted more. The other higher power calibers; 6.5, 6.8, etc. seemed like a waste of time and too much of a compromise compared to max .308 loads, so it seemed the logical choice.

I don't need any more long range power than .308 -175 gr max loads and I have M61 AP rounds for maximum penetration needs, so I'm OK. I don't care for M1's, FAL's, PTR91's, bolt actions or any of the other platforms and the "AR" is perfect for me.

I'm in the process of getting a .50 Beowulf 16" upper to attach to one of my AR15 lowers, as that is a huge amount of [200 yards or less] power that can take out anything that breathes air in N. America, including Grizzly Bears. It makes for a very light, easily handled "canon" loaded with 350 gr XTP/JHP controlled expansion rounds [1900/2700] that is perfect for hikes, backpacking, etc. and is one effective home defense weapon too.

Here is the .50 upper:

50Beowulf.jpg

I had a Bushmaster AR-15 back in 2002.. was an E2??

Paid $900 for it in NJ.. ugh.. was a 14.5 with FH welded it on.  :(

bought a nice (at the time) BSA 6-24x44 scope for $150..

bough 1000 rounds of Fed SLC ammo for like $199..  :(

ran out of $.. sold unfired to another guy on a forum for $600..

well in 2008 I got back into rifles.. first was a 91/30 MN..

then AK, then AK74, then Saiga in 308..

then I wanted MORE ACCURACY.. 1 3/8" at 100 yards wasn't good enough..

so... I bought my DPMS LR-308.. for Xmas 2010 for myself.

yeah..  sold the AK47 & AK74 to buy the AR  8)

figured the 1 caliber rule was better than buying 3 different cals..

ok we still have work to do on you and your wallet than  <laughs>

We need you to think like this:

1. Hmm I dont have on that color

2.Wait I dont have one in that caliber,that color with that barrel length

3. I should buy another for "Spares"

4. Wow i really like that new magazine release. I need to build a gun around it.

5. My wife will never let me by a bigger safe until I fill this one up

6. The purchasing of firearms stimulates the economy in an area that is important to me

**This public service announcement brought to you buy the broke and poor staff of 308AR.com who will invent ANY reason imaginable to buy a new gun**