• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

I like the range and the power of a .308.  I have six .308 rifles.  After buying a DPMS .308 LR with a 24" stainless fluted barrel, stuck a Leopold 4.5 X 14 Vari-X III scope on it and it shot groups of less that 1/2" (5 shots) at 100 yards, I wanted to see what others were doing with similar rifles.

Varget powder and moly-coated 168 gr. Sierra Match Kings work for me.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Varget powder and moly-coated 168 gr. Sierra Match Kings work for me."

This is the next subject I'm going to have to research.  I know nothing of reloading and I don't know where to start with powders, projectiles, etc.

Got to be a world unto itself.

He quoted you, and then typed in the wrong spot. The words that are there not matching the words you typed above....are his question. Happens occasionally when you go to delete a portion of a quoted post because you only want to reference one part of it. Gotta make sure to click black outside the quote section.

I got into the AR stuff because of some friends. I grew up hunting in Missouri & have always liked the looks of the AR platform. I've built a few 15s & am doing a 15 in 7.62x39 right now. I also have a  Vytamen C Tactical, billet, 80% DPMS AR10 lower & am gathering parts for that build. I know I am going to end up doing a bolt rifle soon as I want a 1000 yard 308 also. My 308 build was just another logical step up in the AR chain. Guys, I built a 7.5 inch barrel, AR 15 pistol & the damn thing is STUPID LOUD!!! I still haven't decided if I am going to keep it. It's THAT loud!! I put am Ares, Effin A compensator on it & it shoots dead straight with no jump. I just need to figure out how to tame down the noise on the thing. I am open to recommendations on that one.

Ray.

I got into the AR stuff because of some friends. I grew up hunting in Missouri & have always liked the looks of the AR platform. I've built a few 15s & am doing a 15 in 7.62x39 right now. I also have a Vytamen C Tactical, billet, 80% DPMS AR10 lower & am gathering parts for that build. I know I am going to end up doing a bolt rifle soon as I want a 1000 yard 308 also. My 308 build was just another logical step up in the AR chain. Guys, I built a 7.5 inch barrel, AR 15 pistol & the damn thing is STUPID LOUD!!! I still haven't decided if I am going to keep it. It's THAT loud!! I put am Ares, Effin A compensator on it & it shoots dead straight with no jump. I just need to figure out how to tame down the noise on the thing. I am open to recommendations on that one.

Ray.

Shoot it underwater, quiet and completely legal. :D

Sorry, just kidding...

Seriously, suppress that badboy!!!

Guys, I built a 7.5 inch barrel, AR 15 pistol & the damn thing is STUPID LOUD!!! I still haven't decided if I am going to keep it. It's THAT loud!! I put am Ares, Effin A compensator on it & it shoots dead straight with no jump. I just need to figure out how to tame down the noise on the thing. I am open to recommendations on that one.

Ray.

Noveske KX3.

Boom, drop the mike.

When the accuracy of the .308 AR-type of rifles could match the accuracy of a good bolt gun with a varmint weight barrel.  I like the increase of firepower and the price I got on my DPMS .308 LR stainless fluted 24" barrel for only $850.  I added a trigger and a scope and an AP4 upper and now the cost of the whole deal (scope for the AP4 too) is not too far from $4000.

I consider it money well spent and I'd do it all over again.

I wanted a bigger caliber to shoot hogs with. I have several 223 AR's and I know a well placed shot with one will kill a hog. But you don't always have the opportunity for that shot and the 308 gives you some leeway. And besides I wanted one! lol

I assume you're asking about moly coated bullets? Moly or Molly? :)

I've used the spray-on stuff... can be messy as hell, but effective, I suppose. I've also used the tumble-on powder, which also makes a mess unless you use a dedicated tumbler. It's hard to get rid of once there's a coating of it there.

That being said, balistically, there isn't much difference, maybe a few FPS. If you use ANY moly, you want to make sure your barrel is sparkly clean before you start, because the moly will coat over any copper fouling that may be present, and makes it harder to remove after. I will say that it keeps your barrel from fouling so much after, though, if you start out with a sparkling bore. I had a Browning A-bolt 300 Win mag that LOVED the sierra match king 150s. That thing would print ragged holes from anywhere on the planet with them. Not with moly, though. With the moly, I could never bring them in to less than 1.5" at 100 yds. My most accurate loads were non-moly coated in several rifles, but that doesn't mean coated ones are bad. They can keep your bore cleaner longer, if you do it right.

That's been my experience with it...

~F.C.

Hello all,

First post here, I have been trolling for a while, I finally got a great deal on a 308 and decided to join!

Anyway, I bought the 308 for hunting to be quite honest.

Years ago (around 10 years ago) a few friends and I bought 5.56s to go deer hunting in Texas. Being the gentleman I am, I agreed to take my deer last and let them go ahead of me..... Long story short we ended up tracking their deer. I waited for the right shot to take mine. I had to get close to comfortably take my deer (125yds). When I got home I sold my rifle. Don't get me wrong that 5.56 was accurate out to 500 yds but I did not want a rifle that was target only, since I don't hunt coyote or prarie dogs.

I had successfully hunted most north American big game with a bolt action 308 I figured a AR10 was in my future. So yesterday I was in a local gun shop and got a great deal on a DPMS LR308. Today a big name outdoor store had the P308 Nikon 4-12 on sale for $199 so I bought it and Leupold quick release rings. Tomorrow morning I go out to sight it in!

That's a nice scope for that price!

I would think that a 308 would do for most anything up there, but I wouldn't want to take it to Kodiak to chase the big brown bears with it.

I've shot moose with my 300 Weatherby,which is a brute... and found it to be more than enough. That being said, the 308 is PLENTY for them with a good bullet, without a doubt.

I'd still feel a bit under-gunned chasing the browns with the Weatherby... :hunter:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Sighted it in and fired 200 rounds today 100 yard groups were about 1.5" with LC M80 and were as low as .89" 168 hpbt. 200 yard gong was too easy. The 550 yd was pretty challenging, I won't lie, I missed it more than I hit it.

I did not keep track of ammo/groups very well because of break in procedure, I was told after 2-300 rounds I will know for sure what ammo it likes.

All together I am in the rifle $1000 and could not be happier. My bolt actions may sit this coming season out! Thinking of ordering the LUTH AR MBA, any thoughts or links? I swear my search turned up nothin. Doesn't look bad for $130.

also looking for cheapest quad rail, will only be used for bipod or grip.

thanks

Edited by knockingdiesel

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Sighted it in and fired 200 rounds today 100 yard groups were about 1.5" with LC M80 and were as low as .89" 168 hpbt. 200 yard gong was too easy. The 550 yd was pretty challenging, I won't lie, I missed it more than I hit it.

I did not keep track of ammo/groups very well because of break in procedure, I was told after 2-300 rounds I will know for sure what ammo it likes.

All together I am in the rifle $1000 and could not be happier. My bolt actions may sit this coming season out! Thinking of ordering the LUTH AR MBA, any thoughts or links? I swear my search turned up nothin. Doesn't look bad for $130.

also looking for cheapest quad rail, will only be used for bipod or grip.

thanks

I've got the MBA-2 from Luth-AR, you can get both from their website; http://www.luth-ar.com/product-category/assemblies/