• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For .308, In terms of reloading I use Hornady 155gr FMJ-BT @ 19 cents each, and Hornady  178gr HPBT Match @ 26 cents each.  

I use Lake City Brass full length sized with an RCBS small base AR die set for case head space, and I trim with a Giraud Tri Trimmer.  AR Comp, 8208 XBR, CFE 223, and Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR are all good powder choices.

The .308 full sized small base dies can be a challenge.  You need clean dies and a good lanolin based lubricant.  I clean my cases before I resize them.  The trick is to use plenty of lube - but not enough to dent the shoulders.

I've had very good accuracy and feeding/ejection provided I keep COAL within magazine allowances.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the 308 boly guns that I own or have owned. I decided to add a DPMS LR308 to my collection. Big barrell, stainless 24" fluted. Had it threaded and added a break. I spend as much time with this rifle as I do with any of my ,223/.556 and 6mm RAT AR's put together.

• 1 month later...

I've wanted a .308 AR for a long time now, but have procrastinated building one until now. I've finally got to the point where I've decided I have enough 5.56 rifles, for now, anyway. Plus, with the common winds around here it's going to be nice to have an AR that's projectile bucks the wind a bit better. 

6 hours ago, sketch said:

Welcome from Wa.  How can we assist in spending your $ as long as the jeep is running!?

By keeping his Jeep running. :laffs:

Oh, you mean by spending on 308AR parts.

Renegade, have you decided on a platform yet?  If you go with another AR10B, R2 just announced he has several spare parts kits to help keep them running. :hornet: :lmao:

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:22 AM, planeflyer21 said:

Renegade, have you decided on a platform yet?  If you go with another AR10B, R2 just announced he has several spare parts kits to help keep them running. :hornet: :lmao:

Just couldn't leave it alone, could ya smartass? :laffs:

And besides......that was for Sisco in case he couldn't find the part for his extractor. for the record of course.................................

6 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Nnaawww.  You've been getting off easy lately.

Of course you haven't been around a lot either.

Edit to add:  At least I made it to a whole 'nother thread! :banana:

I'll interpret "getting off easy" as not getting kicked in the balls at every available opportunity. :laffs:

As far as being around? I've been lurking all about at all sorts of times. After all....I've been trying to come up with the "Rescue of the Silverback from himself" OP. It ain't easy trying to imagine all of the scenario's that could go sideways on that one. :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 10:39 PM, planeflyer21 said:

Hunh.  Never had that issue with my M1As, a loaded blue and a loaded stainless.

I never had that problem either, makes no difference what kind of anything ever made, someone has a problem with it, that I never ran up against, maybe I am just not sensitive enough to realize it.

4 minutes ago, kramden said:

Recently got into the AR world.  Bought an M&P  AR15. Really liked it.  Want to go hog hunting and many of the places you go to won't allow .223. So I ordered an M&P 10.  Have'nt even shot it yet.  Waiting for a scope I ordered so I can sight it in.

Welcome to the forum feel free to post in the intro section

Well, courtesy of my DPMS Gen2 Recon 308, I have run out of venison long ago and all the eclectic suburbanites are asking about repeats about last Winter's culinary orgasm.  Marinated tenderloin braised and thinly sliced laid over a bed of wild rice; tornadoes of venison Wellington; 5 different chili recipes - they are in love with the idea that they are eating deer.  No crazy wild taste.  The ladies go insane about the taste and the calories and the 'free range" grass diet.  I get asked about venison constantly.

Well, two really big fat does just fell in their tracks in December of 2015.  165 gr Accubond with 50.0 gr PowerPro2000MR (C).  We have a huge pasture with horses over 100 acres.  I was stalking those deer whilst moving myself amongst the horses.  Took stand-up shoulder shots on both.  

The .308 is just awesome in an AR package. My DPMS Gen2 weighs 8.5 lbs. maybe.  I have a Leupold VX-R 4-12x56 Firedot that I just put that dot on their upper shoulders and whoop - straight down.  We hung those deer up in the horse barn and immediately dressed them out.  We had tenderloins, roasts, and steaks within 60 minutes of the kill.  Bought ice to store them on while we decided who got what.  iPhones where produced and dinner dates were set.  

But here's the thing - suburban ladies, who take care of themselves ($$$) but otherwise never thought about tasting game....  Well,  here's what we did.  A whole venison tenderloin marinated in teriyaki sauce and garlic, grilled over charcoal medium rare, sliced super thin, and laid over a thick bed of wild rice steamed in chicken broth.  Bitches went wild.  The flavor was just just perfection.  Free range sushi.

So now, the ladies have put in their order for hunting year 2016.  

What...  if we want more there's a guide in the delta for $300 ?  Of course.