• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Scope Assistance

Hope this is the right place to start this question.  I have a DPMS AR 10, .308. I plan to use this weapon in a Law Enforcement capacity.  Have been happy  with the purchase of this weapon to date, (had it about 8 mo. now).  My problem is, I screwed up and bought the wrong scope.  I purchased a SightMark 2.5-10x32 Triple Duty that is in the 2nd FOCAL PLANE. I have since learned that I should have gone with a FFP scope.  I plan to use a MilDot reticle.   After looking at the many options of FFP scopes I have learned that I don't have the $1,000 dollars or more to purchase one at this time (Deputies don't make a lot of money).  I know that the scope's true milradian value is set at 10x.  How will this work with close range shots and how close can a 10x scope setting be used?  This is a scope that I will have to use for a while until I can afford the proper scope needed.  I would also appreciate knowing what would be a good scope to purchase when I can afford to make that transition.  Oh, using a 168gr. BTHP Hornady.  Thanks for all comments and suggestions in advance. 

47 minutes ago, docnblue said:

Hope this is the right place to start this question.  

Definitely the wrong area for that topic...  However, this is the correct area - post the question in here, and you'll get a lot more responses...

https://forum.308ar.com/forum/21-optics-amp-mounts-buissights/

Check out the 4-14x offerings from Primary Arms, in FFP, with mil-dots. 

Not sure what agency you are using this for or what your department has for policy for ROE, but a .308 is heavy for most. Only our snipers are using them and those are GAP bolt guns. 

2.5-10x is more than enough. I'm sure your training covered engagement distances and most occur within 30 yds. Most snipers never engage further than 150. Too much collateral.

So... all this leads me to this question, where do you work and why .308?

Is there a minimum quality standard for your agency? Not sure if sight mark is something that should be anywhere near a duty weapon.

Far as 1st/2nd focal goes, I wouldn't put too much worry into it. If you are shooting close range, you won't be dialing knobs or ranging so it doesn't really matter.  if you are far enough away to need that, you will be in 10x already.

Not sure how big your cotton fields are there in Tipton Co., but here they are typically no more than a few hundred yards across.  A lower power scope like survivalshop suggested would most likely serve you better on a patrol rifle.

The PD where our range is located used to be run by a chief who said rifles were "an excessive display of force" or some crap.  One of my instructors was their armorer at the time.  He quietly stocked away all the rifles that the department seized.  Early one morning, there was a shootout in a cotton field.  Suspect had a .30-06, officers had duty pistols.  One officer still connected with a shot at about 110 yards.

Know your weapon system and practice, practice, practice.

8 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Not sure how big your cotton fields are there in Tipton Co., but here they are typically no more than a few hundred yards across.  A lower power scope like survivalshop suggested would most likely serve you better on a patrol rifle.

The PD where our range is located used to be run by a chief who said rifles were "an excessive display of force" or some crap.  One of my instructors was their armorer at the time.  He quietly stocked away all the rifles that the department seized.  Early one morning, there was a shootout in a cotton field.  Suspect had a .30-06, officers had duty pistols.  One officer still connected with a shot at about 110 yards.

Know your weapon system and practice, practice, practice.

Pretty good shot with a .38spl snubnose ! Lol !

what some of the guys are saying about shooting at shorter ranges for a law enforcement capacity is very true. You aren't gonna get approval to take the shot at 600 yards. I think the scope you got will be plenty good for any range you will be operating in a law enforcement capacity. You aren't gonna need a mildot reticle unless you are a military sniper or long range shooter and though I am a fan of first focal plane because I like to shoot long distances, I use plenty of second focal plane scopes and they will work fine for the distance you will be shooting. heck, I could shoot my 5.56 patrol rifle with iron sights between the eyes at 100 yards.

Lately thinking I would rather have too little scope than too much. Realistically with a  1-6X first focal plane, you should be good with a 308AR to 300- 400 yards, and be able to compensate for bullet drop, provided the recticle is fine enough. How often are you going to need something farther? If you did it might be time for the bull barrel bolt actions, if for no other reason than you won't want to be spraying lead around indiscriminately if the target is that far away. Seems to me the fast target acquisition of the smaller scopes would be more of an advantage in a LEO environment.

Edited by Sisco

Problem with FFP low power scopes is the reticle is really tiny at 1x, and you won't be needing a bdc for long shots at 1x. Anything outside of point blank or CQB type if stuff and you will dial up to full magnification anyway so SFP can be a better option. 

The new thing is DFP where the bdc/mildot part of the reticle is FFP but the aiming dot/horseshoe/whatever is SFP so it's the same size at all X. 

2 hours ago, blue109 said:

Problem with FFP low power scopes is the reticle is really tiny at 1x, and you won't be needing a bdc for long shots at 1x. Anything outside of point blank or CQB type if stuff and you will dial up to full magnification anyway so SFP can be a better option. 

The new thing is DFP where the bdc/mildot part of the reticle is FFP but the aiming dot/horseshoe/whatever is SFP so it's the same size at all X. 

Who makes that ?