• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Your Defense Ammo's Age?

FreQRiDeR

Thankfully we usually don't use our  expensive, defense ammo as often as regular, plinking ammo. I just realized I have been carrying the same 40 rounds of defense ammo for almost 2 years. I'm curious how long do you all go before considering freshening up your defense ammo? What's LEO's take on this? 

I try to rotate stuff out every year if it has been in the weather, I really should try to get closer to Edges routine. Stuff that sits in mags at the bedside might go 3-4 years before I get around to rotating it out. My Dad had some mags sitting loaded for 20+ years after he retired from LE, when he did shoot them function was flawless.

We shoot every 3 months. We train and carry the same ammo (Winchester Ranger or Hornady Critical Duty, depending on caliber). I'm good for a fresh ammo swap each session... as well as a few extra "training" boxes to go... you know, for later. 

I always make sure I show up with a near empty range bag, and go home with a SWOLLEN range bag. 

34 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

(Winchester Ranger or  I'm good for a fresh ammo  extra "training" boxes to go... you know, for later. 

I always make sure I show up with a near empty range bag, and go home with a SWOLLEN range bag. 

I have been doing that all wrong !

I have 1962 3006 1962 National Match LC 20 round paper boxes and ball ammo in 8rd clips in bandoleers all stored in original metal ammo cans that shoots cleaner and as accurate as new stuff does also had same results with .45 ACP and.357 from 1990s

I had 6 boxes of Winchester 12Ga. 00 buck shot in paper hulls my Dad got from Govt.  during WWIi that we shot in 1995 that shot okay . It had been in the lower drawer of his gun cabinet. 

I still don't trust it for home or personal protection.  I bought 2 boxes of low priced Winchester .45 cap FMJ 220 grain at a local gun storethat put out heavy black smoke and 10 % won't eject (smoke stacks) in my 1911 70 series Govt.  I checked and adjusted the recoil spring, extractor and ejector it checked out good with a empty case. And three magazines of green box Remington cycled fine. I can't believe Winchester would sell that sorry ammo.

Edited by mrmackc

7 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

Had a student tell me recently "Hey!  I got a line on 5,000 rounds of .45 Black Talon.  Should I pick it up for a SHTF scenario?"

I asked him "Why?  Just get the new stuff instead of stale, old ammo that's been sitting around 20+ years."

And likely being sold at a premium because it's the dreaded "Black Talon" despite being inferior to the newer, bonded, t-series ammo. 

I change out home defense ammo bout once a year...but...ill say this...Ive got some Lake City in 1k ammo cans for the zombles that I bought in 1992 that shoot awesome ..I think I paid 120/150 bills for 1k....and ill pop the lid on a can and smell the fumes coming out while checking on the condition of the ammo...geez what a kickazz  smell ....smells good shoots good     :thumbup:

I carry 230gr ball ammo in the .45s, and don't worry about the fancy super-lethal killin' shiit.  I don't reload carry ammo - only off-the-shelf shiit.  Hits are hits, no matter what the caliber, so why worry about them bleeding out faster from super-lethal ammo?  Well, LEOs aside, of course - I get that, and their paperwork.  If put in the situation to pull the pistol for self defense, I'm not stopping the firing-pin-to-primer exercise until the mag is empty, or the threat doesn't wiggle and reach for their weapon anymore. If the mag is empty, and the threat still wiggles, reload and repeat. If the NEXT mag is empty, and the threat still wiggles, reload and repeat. Etc.

On that note, I shoot up what's in the carry magazines every range trip. Reload them before leaving the DDTF (Dedicated Desert Test Facility) and continue business as usual.  With new ammo.

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, washguy said:

I change out home defense ammo bout once a year...but...ill say this...Ive got some Lake City in 1k ammo cans for the zombles that I bought in 1992 that shoot awesome ..I think I paid 120/150 bills for 1k....and ill pop the lid on a can and smell the fumes coming out while checking on the condition of the ammo...geez what a kickazz  smell ....smells good shoots good     :thumbup:

Does that 1992 air make you want to put on some flannel and listen to Nirvana?:laffs:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...