• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New guy from SD checking in!

Firedude

Hi,

Just found this site and since I am starting a .308 AR build, I thought I would join.  A little about myself; I'm a Battalion Chief for the fire department that I work. I'm a Army veteran, former sergeant in the 82nd Airborne Division (Infantry). I live in South Dakota. I'm a avid hunter and shooter. Like to hike, ride motorcycles and ATVs and love to read. I've built 3 AR15's in the past, but this will be my first .308 build. I currently have a Mega Arms Maten Upper/Lower Billet set and a Wilson Combat 16" Recon Tactical stainless fluted .308 barrel. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Firedude said:

Hi,

Just found this site and since I am starting a .308 AR build, I thought I would join.  A little about myself; I'm a Battalion Chief for the fire department that I work. I'm a Army veteran, former sergeant in the 82nd Airborne Division (Infantry). I live in South Dakota. I'm a avid hunter and shooter. Like to hike, ride motorcycles and ATVs and love to read. I've built 3 AR15's in the past, but this will be my first .308 build. I currently have a Mega Arms Maten Upper/Lower Billet set and a Wilson Combat 16" Recon Tactical stainless fluted .308 barrel. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome from southern Wisconsin and thank you for your service

Welcome from the LA swamps. One of my first assignments was sitting a well we drilled in SD. We stayed in Lemmon, SD because it was the closest hotel (almost 100 miles away!) The truck stop was the best place to eat. Pancakes the size of manhole covers, sausage patties the size of plates, both very tasty. Fond memories of SD.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:34 PM, Firedude said:

and a Wilson Combat 16" Recon Tactical stainless fluted .308 barrel. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Watch that barrel and the gas tube length.  It's a weird gas port location, and I'll get some pics up tonight describing the details. 

Welcome.  Need all the paratroopers around here we can get, to fend off the Legs...  :thumbup::lmao:

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Watch that barrel and the gas tube length.  It's a weird gas port location, and I'll get some pics up tonight describing the details.

So, an AR15 midlength gas tube will be 11 3/4" long.  The Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube is 12 1/16" long.

On my WC .338 Fed barrel, it was stated as a midlength gas system.  I put the standard AR15 midlength gas tube in it first.  It was a little short, but not like some of the stuff we've seen lately.  Before, it was pretty obvious that you have the wrong gas tube in a rifle, as the end of the tube would barely reach the cutout for the cam pin, in the upper receiver.  On my barrel, the end of the gas tube went into the area for the cam pin cutout, but not to the middle if it, as we're used to seeing.  End of the gas tube right in the middle of the cam pin cutout is standard stuff on AR15s, and used to be standard stuff on the Big ARs... 

It functioned fine.  I just didn't like it.  I ordered up another Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube, and installed it. Now, the end of the gas tube extends slightly beyond the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper.  It doesn't bottom in the gas key on the BCG, and functions fine. 

Check your stuff, closely.  If you haven't ordered the gas tube yet, I'd recommend the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube for your barrel, if WC is making the 308 barrel gas ports  like the .338 Fed barrels - and I'd bet they are. 

This is kind of a "middle ground" on gas port position on the barrel.  Either tube will work, and the rifle will function.  Nathan at Faxon Firearms touched on this in another thread. 

You will have a longer gas impluse imparted onto the BCG with the Armalite part, and you will have more functionality with a greater range of factory loads and ammo with it. 

Pics below - AR15 midlength gas tube first, the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube second. Wilson Combat .338 Fed barrel, 16", stated as "midlength" gas system.

WC 338 Barrel, AR15 midlength gastube.jpg

WC 338 Barrel, Armalite AR-10 Carbine gastube.jpg

Fire     Here is a deal for ya...just got mine last week and its sweet     http://www.wcarmory.com/toolcraft-bcg-308-bolt-carrier-group-ni-bo-9310-mpi-complete.htm

a complete nib 308 bcg with "fail zero" coating...... 148 bills....what a deal!      since you are going first class with Mega..you need this bcg      Wash

Edited by washguy