• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What to do when the time comes to it?

mrmackc

My wife is really concerned about she should do with my firearms collection (28 rifles, pistols and shotguns) an my collection of ammo, tools etc., etc.

She don't think our kids should have them,  she thinks..."They would probably sell it off for pennies on the dollar". The ones that shoot have plenty already.

Go thru a gun shop?,  use an auctioneer?,  place adds in gun magazines? or web sites?  Trust some friend or relative?

I would like to see your views and opinions on this

Actually I'm not to concern with this. Both my wife and I have our affairs for end of life taken care of and there is an envelope in there with what and who I want to have each weapon and accessories to go to.

But then, when it happens, I really don't care. It might sound childish, but I won't be here and I'm not going to worry about something I will have no interaction about. If she lives longer than I, she will do what she wants, ... either following my instructions or not. So I don't care.

But until then, they are mine and they will be with me until I have no control over it.

In my area auctions seem to bring good money. I rarely found anything at an auction for a reasonable price, most weapons could be bought used at a local shop for less. I think this depends on where you are though, auctions don't seem near as popular in the south or east compared to the midwest.

AOB has a point. I hate to think about it, but whatever she does with them is on her. Hopefully the kids carry on the tradition, but I won't be here to part of it no matter what they do.

I found myself in a unique situation recently. A close family friend passed from cancer about two weeks ago, and my family was requested to take care of his collection. His widow has failing mental health and the extra money would go to her continued care. In this situation we were entrusted to make sure she was well taken care of.

I like Rob's post. Leave them in the hands of someone who knows what to get for them and have them sell off what they can for your wife. Maybe in return for doing the legwork, they keep their pick of one firearm.

know anyone that knows anything about firearms?

I have a trust set up with my son as a trustee for all of the NFA class 3 stuff. My daughter is the sole beneficiary just in case we both get the "run over by a bus" scenario. But I've been planning to add her on to it also. Outside of that, the two of them can pick and choose, and divide up whatever they want with the rest of my collection. Obviously, it won't matter to me at that point.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:31 AM, mrmackc said:

W I really don't have a need of 8 shotguns, really never did, but I made several good trades.

I'd call that a "good start," Mac!!!   :lmao:  How many windows you got in your house?  8?...   If you have more windows than that in your house, then you need MORE shotguns, man!   :laffs:

My rule of thumb, anyway...   :banana:

If any of your shotguns happen to be Mossbergs, and you really think you have the need to get rid of them, then I'm interested, and not on a low-dollar, screw-you-for-your-inventory kind of way.  In alot of cases, the older guns are worth way more than the newest stuff on the market.  And I like old Mossbergs. 

I'd really suggest keeping them, though.  Not kidding, Mac.  :thumbup:

No I haven't had a Mossberg since I rebuilt an old police pump  and sold it to a cop friend. Mine are Ithaca, Winchester, Savage, Remington and Franchi (that Italian brand.)

I hardly ever sell stuff I like shooting.  

I'll probably be keeping all of them until my toes are pointed up and they cover me up with Texas dirt

Edited by mrmackc

So Mack and his lovely wife were enjoying a relaxing evening down by the river. Feeling wild and free they decided to kick off their clothes and take a quick dip in the refreshing water.  While splashing around like a couple of children at play, they noticed a large bear on the other bank of the river. The bear seemed aggrivated as if the two had ruined his peaceful dinner plans and with a roar he charged into the water and began to swim their way. 

Mack and the Mrs. Quickly made their way to the bank and began to run back towards the truck they had parked several hundred yards away. Mack stopped at the log where they had dropped their clothes and sat down to casually start putting on his shoes. 

"What are you doing?!" his wife exclaimed. "He is almost on our side of the river!"

"I don't have to out run the bear" he told her....

you know know the rest 

On 8/12/2017 at 10:01 PM, DNP said:

I like Rob's post. Leave them in the hands of someone who knows what to get for them and have them sell off what they can for your wife. Maybe in return for doing the legwork, they keep their pick of one firearm.

know anyone that knows anything about firearms?

You better brace yourself, brother.  All my shiit is going to YOU, and most of it isn't Cali-Legal.  Fuk, NONE of it is, because I only own one bullet-button, as a just-in-case.  SO, you better move, or find someone else to get rid of it. 

You might think I'm kidding...   I'm not... :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

Lol...I read that post earlier. Didn't even know it was directed at me. 

You're gonna outlive me, so I ain't the best choice. And with any luck...we'll be outta this BS state someday. Dusty is on the edge of quitting her job...I'm on the edge of quitting mine...we're trying to get the house up and sold. Might buy an RV and go cruise the country until we can't afford to anymore. Gotta find the right spot to settle down.