• Visit
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Faxon
mrmackc

What to do when the time comes to it?

16 posts in this topic

My wife is really concerned about she should do with my firearms collection (28 rifles, pistols and shotguns) an my collection of ammo, tools etc., etc.

She don't think our kids should have them,  she thinks..."They would probably sell it off for pennies on the dollar". The ones that shoot have plenty already.

Go thru a gun shop?,  use an auctioneer?,  place adds in gun magazines? or web sites?  Trust some friend or relative?

I would like to see your views and opinions on this

Actually I'm not to concern with this. Both my wife and I have our affairs for end of life taken care of and there is an envelope in there with what and who I want to have each weapon and accessories to go to.

But then, when it happens, I really don't care. It might sound childish, but I won't be here and I'm not going to worry about something I will have no interaction about. If she lives longer than I, she will do what she wants, ... either following my instructions or not. So I don't care.

But until then, they are mine and they will be with me until I have no control over it.

In my area auctions seem to bring good money. I rarely found anything at an auction for a reasonable price, most weapons could be bought used at a local shop for less. I think this depends on where you are though, auctions don't seem near as popular in the south or east compared to the midwest.

I'd just tell her you plan to outlive her...so she doesn't need to worry about it. 

AOB has a point. I hate to think about it, but whatever she does with them is on her. Hopefully the kids carry on the tradition, but I won't be here to part of it no matter what they do.

I found myself in a unique situation recently. A close family friend passed from cancer about two weeks ago, and my family was requested to take care of his collection. His widow has failing mental health and the extra money would go to her continued care. In this situation we were entrusted to make sure she was well taken care of.

Don't be doing any more double back flips on the rascal and she'll have nothing to worry about mac!! 

I will probably give one or two to close friends who like to shoot and have limited financial means, along with a mess of ammo.. The rest I will leave for my son and let him decide what he wants and he can sell the rest.

I have a will.  best friend takes it all. next is my kids.

I like Rob's post. Leave them in the hands of someone who knows what to get for them and have them sell off what they can for your wife. Maybe in return for doing the legwork, they keep their pick of one firearm.

know anyone that knows anything about firearms?

We have a new gunshop and firing range that went in about 25 miles from here. I may consign some for sale. I really don't have a need of 8 shotguns, really never did, but I made several good trades.

if its not to much hassel start here. for sale/ trade  section works or we may know someone and get you a fair market deal.. 

7 hours ago, sketch said:

if its not to much hassel start here. for sale/ trade  section works or we may know someone and get you a fair market deal.. 

+1

not to mention....we may want some of what you're getting rid of:thumbup:

Auction or Gun shop , both will tell you what you might expect to get for them all or part of the collection . 

I have a bro to take care of just that. The wife knows what I have is not cheap and will not be giving $hit away.

I have a trust set up with my son as a trustee for all of the NFA class 3 stuff. My daughter is the sole beneficiary just in case we both get the "run over by a bus" scenario. But I've been planning to add her on to it also. Outside of that, the two of them can pick and choose, and divide up whatever they want with the rest of my collection. Obviously, it won't matter to me at that point.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:31 AM, mrmackc said:

W I really don't have a need of 8 shotguns, really never did, but I made several good trades.

I'd call that a "good start," Mac!!!   :lmao:  How many windows you got in your house?  8?...   If you have more windows than that in your house, then you need MORE shotguns, man!   :laffs:

My rule of thumb, anyway...   :banana:

If any of your shotguns happen to be Mossbergs, and you really think you have the need to get rid of them, then I'm interested, and not on a low-dollar, screw-you-for-your-inventory kind of way.  In alot of cases, the older guns are worth way more than the newest stuff on the market.  And I like old Mossbergs. 

I'd really suggest keeping them, though.  Not kidding, Mac.  :thumbup: