• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Knife Sharpeners

Sisco

I am sure this topic has been covered else where, but I looked and,couldn’t find it.I have always been a traditionalist, using whet, oil, or more recently, diamond stones to put an edge on my kitchen and outdoor cutlery. On a friends recommendation, I picked up one of these;

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Knife-Tool-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1535228246&sr=1-10&keywords=Knife+sharpeners

And I got to admit I am impressed. Very sharp edges on all sorts of cutlery. Anyone else have any personal favorites?

I use one of these, does the job very well, and yes I can hear the knife aficionados cringing and weeping from here?

Results count at the end of the day, this one takes no skill to use and it makes a bloody sharp blade and it takes up no room in your pack AND it's bright yellow, nice and easy to find in the bottom of your pack.

smith-s-sharpening-stones-1956-7859-64_1000.jpg

39 minutes ago, shepp said:

My buddy has one of them does great on kitchen cutlery but my pocket knife blade was to fat

He must not have had the outdoor blade attachment. It sharpens at a 25 degree angle rather then Kitchen cutlery 20 degree. My monster Cold Steel Outdoorsman fit right in and came out sharp enough to shave with.

Kiwi, you always gotta have one of those for the field, even if you have a fancy one for the home bench. :thumbup: If your using your knife day in day out, it needs a good tune up along the way.

Edited by Sisco

1 hour ago, sketch said:

picked these up for the pack and fishing vest. razor sharp if done correctly!

EZE-LAP 510 Double Sided EZE-Fold SF/M Sharpeners https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UVV15C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wuEGBbEXG71AJ

EZL530-BRK EZE-Fold Sharpener https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090UW3BU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_svEGBbV10T5S5

I have several of these in diamond with different grits. They work fast and get me a shaving sharp edge.

Lansky , been using them ever since they came out . I saw a demo at a hunting show & purchased one, I was hooked , because until I got one , I couldn't sharpen a knife , seemed like they got worse after trying to sharpen them with just a Stone . I then sold them as a dealer for many years . One always went to Hunt Camp with me & I even use one for some Gunsmithing . 

I have used stones, the Lansky system, steels, and a few others during my life; nothing works as good for me as the Worksharp. My only complaint it that I seem to lose my point on the blade, but that is minor considering I can put an edge on that takes no time, and it the same every time when the operator it paying attention.

Pocket knives, kitchen knives, hunting blades....they all go through and come out better than I can produce other ways.

Edited by bubbas4570

34 minutes ago, bubbas4570 said:

I have used stones, the Lansky system, steels, and a few others during my life; nothing works as good for me as the Worksharp. My only complaint it that I seem to lose my point on the blade, but that is minor considering I can put an edge on that takes no time, and it the same every time when the operator it paying attention.

Pocket knives, kitchen knives, hunting blades....they all go through and come out better than I can produce other ways.

I think that is why they suggest powering down when you get to the end of the blade without removing it. I already made that mistake.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Sisco said:

I am sure this topic has been covered else where, but I looked and,couldn’t find it.I have always been a traditionalist, using whet, oil, or more recently, diamond stones to put an edge on my kitchen and outdoor cutlery. On a friends recommendation, I picked up one of these;

https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Knife-Tool-Sharpener/dp/B003IT5F14/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1535228246&sr=1-10&keywords=Knife+sharpeners

And I got to admit I am impressed. Very sharp edges on all sorts of cutlery. Anyone else have any personal favorites?

If you let your knives get dull enough that you need a grinder to sharpen your knives, you mistreat them and they deserve to go to a foster family. I will gladly make sure they are treated well. 

I use a Lansky sharpening kit and it works great. I would go with a more expensive kit but I'm a cheap b@stard. 

19 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

If you let your knives get dull enough that you need a grinder to sharpen your knives, you mistreat them and they deserve to go to a foster family. I will gladly make sure they are treated well. 

I use a Lansky sharpening kit and it works great. I would go with a more expensive kit but I'm a cheap b@stard. 

I mistreat mine very much then, as my work knife gets used to cut bindweed off of my sod mulcher......that is a dulling experience for knives.

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

The Worksharp doesn’t get the blade hot enough to destroy the temper like a regular grinder can. You feel the abrasive on the belt, and it is barely there, especially the fine grit belt. I was sceptical myself, until I tried it.

When i worked at a Hospital , a guy used to come & sharpen Knifes/Scalpels  for the Operating room Doctors ( yes that was a long time ago, they use disposable ones now ? ) & used a Belt type sharping thing & I used to talk him into sharpening my work knife , it was sharp as you can get one , when he was done with it . 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Sisco said:

The Worksharp doesn’t get the blade hot enough to destroy the temper like a regular grinder can. You feel the abrasive on the belt, and it is barely there, especially the fine grit belt. I was sceptical myself, until I tried it.

good to know. but another reason I still like the stones is it is therapeutic to me. I just like the lansky guide rods so I can have the right angle the whole time I am relaxing with my blades. 

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

I am a knife whore I have probably fifty or more worksharp is a great tool then I keep a small steel in my hunting pack all my hunting knives are chicago cultery wood handled butcher knives..... every time I start typing my font changes WTF?

I have a bunch of Chicago Cutlery knives. Being a packing plant town you find them second hand all over. I mostly use them in the kitchen and find them to have great steel that will really hold an edge.

2 hours ago, Magwa said:

I am a knife whore I have probably fifty or more worksharp is a great tool then I keep a small steel in my hunting pack all my hunting knives are chicago cultery wood handled butcher knives..... every time I start typing my font changes WTF?

Had Chicago cutlery for years until my wife encountered a damn salesman who convinced her to trade them in for cheap crap when I wasn’t around. She will never hear the end of that, and it was ten years ago. My son the former grill chef at a fine restaurant now has me on Wusthof and Kamikoto knives for the kitchen, and my Cold Steel Outdoorsman has served me for 30+ years and has a couple hundred more in it until it wears out.

2 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

good to know. but another reason I still like the stones is it is therapeutic to me. I just like the lansky guide rods so I can have the right angle the whole time I am relaxing with my blades. 

:thumbup: Relaxing with blades and firearms, why does that sound familiar? Must be a Wisconsin thing.

Edited by Sisco

4 minutes ago, sketch said:

we have henkel knives.. before my time but they sharpen easy with the steel .. ive tried converting her to kamikoto but no gives. and they are just as spendy. 

The Kamikoto knives being advertised all over right now are not the original deal. They are now forged in China of Japanese carbon steel. They are still good, but not Samurai Katana quality like the original Kamikoto’s

i was ready to drop some big money a few years ago but like you said they just dont meet the dollar sign.. i really want a cleaver though. The thought of slaaying some ribs on a wood slab with a cleaver is exciting! briscut u name it.. i have some grill planning to do some day..