• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First outing 7.63X39 AR

Boondoggle

Bought a very in expensive 7.62X39 upper from Bear Creek Arsenal the classic 16" standard hand guard front sight post w/ BCG and charging handle. Picked up a Magpul MOA build kit for a PSA lower. 

I already had a flip up rear sight but with my old eyes I picked up a cheap red dot to slap on it. 

Bought cheap Tula FMJ ammo and C Products and D&H mags. I tried boths mags when I got them cycling them by hand. The C Products was flawless and the D&H wouldn't pick up the first round. Sent it back and waited for a range trip before I bought more C Products mags. 

Took me about eight rounds to get on paper and then getting a close zero at a 100 yards I started sending them down range. For cheap ammo, cheap upper ($199) and cheap red dot ($99) with old eyes I was satisfied. Almost every round was MOM (minute of man) which for the red dot at that range with my old eyes was acceptable.

Had only one FTF on a new mag reload. I really didn't know what to expect but I'm going to use it as my get home truck gun and re-zero it at 50 yards on the carbine range. 

I hoping for better than spray and pray accuracy and that's what I got. 

Moral to the story C Products mags work. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:09 PM, Boot_Scraper said:

I go back and forth all the time on an x39 build. I'll prolly jump on one day. Thanks for the tip on the mags. 

I keep doing the same thing.  I'll build one, eventually.  I think I'm gonna do a CMMG Mutant...

(wait for it, WAAAAIIIIIT for it... )

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

Ok, who  are you, and what have you done with Tom? Tom doesn't put glue in guns that don't need it, and he doesn't build off CMMG's crap....

Get in here Tom, you've been hacked!

Nope, waaaaaiiiiit for it- it's gonna blow up, and it'll be spectacular...   :laffs:

On 10/31/2018 at 6:45 PM, Boondoggle said:

Bought a very in expensive 7.62X39 upper from Bear Creek Arsenal the classic 16" standard hand guard front sight post w/ BCG and charging handle. Picked up a Magpul MOA build kit for a PSA lower. 

I already had a flip up rear sight but with my old eyes I picked up a cheap red dot to slap on it. 

Bought cheap Tula FMJ ammo and C Products and D&H mags. I tried boths mags when I got them cycling them by hand. The C Products was flawless and the D&H wouldn't pick up the first round. Sent it back and waited for a range trip before I bought more C Products mags. 

Took me about eight rounds to get on paper and then getting a close zero at a 100 yards I started sending them down range. For cheap ammo, cheap upper ($199) and cheap red dot ($99) with old eyes I was satisfied. Almost every round was MOM (minute of man) which for the red dot at that range with my old eyes was acceptable.

Had only one FTF on a new mag reload. I really didn't know what to expect but I'm going to use it as my get home truck gun and re-zero it at 50 yards on the carbine range. 

I hoping for better than spray and pray accuracy and that's what I got. 

Moral to the story C Products mags work. 

Stoner mags work well too I got mine from midway. 

On 10/31/2018 at 8:08 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

D&H mags work most of the time as well - too bad they didn't work for you.  If you want a magnified optic, I have a primary arms optic on my 7.62x39.  I bought a kit from Moriarty  (a site sponsor) and put it together.  It has not missed a beat.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x24mm-sfp-scope-w-acss-300blk-7-62x39-reticle

im shooting this may have got it alil cheaper in optics planet. With my faxing upper in banging steal with 22 cent commie ammo in the dark at 450 yards. Couple guys at the fall shoot have hit 350 off hand with it too 

On 11/1/2018 at 8:29 PM, 98Z5V said:

I keep doing the same thing.  I'll build one, eventually.  I think I'm gonna do a CMMG Mutant...

(wait for it, WAAAAIIIIIT for it... )

You know I go for this bait every time! fuq’r

even poor @Robert@FULL30 got an ear full of my CMMG ranting recently. 

Heres the fucking thing about the retarded mutant...

6F3E91C2-AE9E-4E1A-83FE-9CEE86DF472C.jpeg

it was fucked from the start! Why dafuq would anyone want a HEAVIER and BULKIER version of an AR-15, that is stuck using shitty proprietary parts?? CMMG should Fire the halfwit that thought up that masterpiece. 

Even PSA managed not to screw up the 7.62x39!!!

ARx39 bolts broke, because of shitty re-machining... we solved that problem. Now guys are reporting THOUSANDS of rounds on the same bolts. 

ARx39 mags wouldn’t feed, because we were trying to retrofit AR-15 mags. We solved that problem as companies started building cartridge specific models. 

ARx39 were unreliable when cycling. After thousands of users, we’ve finally dialed in gas port sizes and buffer weights. The popularity of the Blackout helped too. 

The fact of the matter is, we have a shitty company that sells out of spec parts, likely fabricated in some 3rd world sweatshop.... which I honestly hope is true, because I’d be embarrassed of an American made this crap... and in a marketing ploy they tried to tell us we needed this mutant halfbreed hybrid POS to bridge up to the size gap of a cartridge that was actually smaller than the 5.56x45 (Overall length and pressure) for which the rifle was built to use and handle in the first place. 

Our market is full of retarded shit, but this takes the cake.... not the good cake either... I’m talking about the half-brain that eats the urinal cake in a chevron bathroom. That kind of stupid. 

I’ll be the first to say it... the 7.62x39 is a superior “war round” vs the 5.56x45. The venerable x39 is responsible for more introductions of souls to makers than any other bullet ever created. 80% of the world places their fight for freedom, or the suppression of others freedoms, on this cartridge. The x45 round may have won a few battles, but the x39 is blatantly responsible for mass genocide. I’ve said I’d shoot 300Blk supersonic rounds if they could be bought for under $0.30 a round... they haven’t, so I continue to make Commie pill flingers  

While I respect the AK variants for their ingenuity and ease of being cobbled together with primate tools, on the floor of a mud hut, by hooded women chained to a bedpost... one cannot deny the engineering superiority of the modern AR platform and all its various levels in evolution. Lighter, smaller, more ergonomic. 

Long story short... ARx39 = GOOD... CMMG = BAD... Mutant = Hal of Shame stupid.

ps. @shepp has one of the baddest x39 builds to date! Not only have I had the privilege of shooting it, but the concept behind his rifle was something that had been living in the back of my brain FOREVER. I’m so happy Shepp made it a reality for me to see it and fondle it. 

:laffs:That bait worked - I just wanted your opinion on CMMG one more time, brother...   I'd never buy that Mutant, no way, no how...  :lmao::hail:

EDIT - Took your sweetass time with that reply, too...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

I think you will continue to find CProducts mags to work well me and a couple buddies have thousands of rounds through them they just plain work.  Sounds like you gotta nice rig there enjoy it.  I was a little hesitant to switch from 308 for hunting, but dang if it doesn't get the job done for us in the swamps.   We MPBR our thermals at 43 yards for 4" target zone nothing gets away!   

Edited by buttonbuck

• 5 months later...

"Even PSA managed not to screw up the 7.62x39!!!"

I picked up a PSA AR-47 upper a couple of years ago.  It wouldn't run.  The firing pin was only hitting about 20 percent of the primers hard enough.

I removed the pin and ended up machining it slightly in the lathe for more protrusion and it ran fine.  I called PSA and told them the deal and they sent me the correct one.

Some of the cheap steel case ammo will give you fits.  Twice I've had to take a drive rod and hammer to clear it due to cases stuck so hard in the chamber you couldn't pull the bolt back with a truck and log chain!

Other than a couple of those deals and the too-short firing pin I've been very pleased with it.  Not sure what Mag's I'm using, bought 6 of them from another source back when I got the upper as PSA was out of stock on them........Cliff

I wrote about this several years ago. Russian military ammo has recessed primers for storage reasons. They aren’t deep, but just below the surface level. They are also made from the same mild steel as the casing. 

There were a couple “fixes” that I explained for this;

1. There are 7.62x39 specific firing pins that are about .005” longer at the tip... or,

2. Use a standard firing pin and just run a flat file (lightly) over the rear of the bolt. This will also allow the extra .005” depth. 

Most companies that sell preassembled uppers have figured this out, and use one of the two options  if you’re building your own, you just have to measure your bolt before you put in a firing pin, or ask the mfger if you require a standard pin or a “x39” pin  

When building a x39 rifle, the builder should use a stronger hammer spring in their FCG. Personally, I suggest a Hyperfire trigger, with their x39 spring kit. It’s an infallible combo. 

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

I wrote about this several years ago. Russian military ammo has recessed primers for storage reasons. They aren’t deep, but just below the surface level. They are also made from the same mild steel as the casing. 

There were a couple “fixes” that I explained for this;

1. There are 7.62x39 specific firing pins that are about .005” longer at the tip... or,

2. Use a standard firing pin and just run a flat file (lightly) over the rear of the bolt. This will also allow the extra .005” depth. 

Most companies that sell preassembled uppers have figured this out, and use one of the two options  if you’re building your own, you just have to measure your bolt before you put in a firing pin, or ask the mfger if you require a standard pin or a “x39” pin  

When building a x39 rifle, the builder should use a stronger hammer spring in their FCG. Personally, I suggest a Hyperfire trigger, with their x39 spring kit. It’s an infallible combo. 

Good information to know, I never knew this.

+2 or 3, good stuff to know.

It's been a few years ago, but PSA assembled my AR-47 bolt with an AR-15 firing pin.  It was as mentioned a tad too short and wasn't hitting the primers well.

I took it apart and modified the firing pin (can't remember the details at the moment but can't remember what I had for breakfast either...LOL) and it went from about 20 percent to 100 percent. 

I also called PSA to tell them what I found and had done, and they shipped me out a correct firing pin at no charge.  I went ahead and put it in place even though the modified pin was running fine.

I also checked the mag's I'm using, talk about bad cases of CRS, two are AR-Stoner and four of them are ASC.......Cliff

IMG_4736.JPG

IMG_4733.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 12:23 AM, Robocop1051 said:

While I respect the AK variants for their ingenuity and ease of being cobbled together with primate tools, on the floor of a mud hut, by hooded women chained to a bedpost... one cannot deny the engineering superiority of the modern AR platform and all its various levels in evolution. Lighter, smaller, more ergonomic

this quote is worth the price of admission folks!

1 hour ago, DNP said:

I would still prefer my AR’s assembled by a woman chained to a bedpost...😜

I do like them good looking enough that they need not be hooded. 

How is she assembling guns, like this?...   😁

9f5b0be6cc68748cd806bac8ff40d823--four-p