• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I hate Kel Tec

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KelTec has a place of honor in my mind for firearms design and manufacture.

I have owned a Sub2K, and loved it! I had wanted a Ruger 9mm carbine, but one of these fell into my hands, was quite a bit cheaper, and IT NEVER QUIT on me.

Dummy me, I sold it to a friend, and he won't sell it back.......thought I was gonna be smarter...I wasn't.

1 hour ago, bubbas4570 said:

KelTec has a place of honor in my mind for firearms design and manufacture.

I have owned a Sub2K, and loved it! I had wanted a Ruger 9mm carbine, but one of these fell into my hands, was quite a bit cheaper, and IT NEVER QUIT on me.

Dummy me, I sold it to a friend, and he won't sell it back.......thought I was gonna be smarter...I wasn't.

That new Sub2k that takes G19 mags looks like a well thought out plan. The first gen wasn’t applied well, but the second gen looks perfect. I’d like to see a non-reciprocating modification for the bolt handle. I really like MI’s swinging red dot mount. 

1 minute ago, Robocop1051 said:

That new Sub2k that takes G19 mags looks like a well thought out plan. The first gen wasn’t applied well, but the second gen looks perfect. I’d like to see a non-reciprocating modification for the bolt handle. I really like MI’s swinging red dot mount. 

I thought that a non-reciprocating handle would be nice, and the factory one would be a problem....but where it is, and how it is used doesn't really get in the way while firing at all. If it would have been on the side....either side/on top/where ever.....it might have been a problem. Dead bottom, no problem for me.

In addition to Kel-Tec's two DAO 9mm pistols I can vouch for both the Sub2K Gen 2 (9mm G19 version) and the standard KSG.  The KSG and Aquila minishells (I run the buckshot) are pretty much made for each other IMO.  This ammo ran reliably and nice bonuses are that the KSG has a capacity of 11 + 11 + 1 Aguila minishells and recoil is light enough that you can shoot them as long as you like w/out any shoulder pain.  While some Wally World Federal 2 3/4" 7 1/2 birdshot ran reliably too w/out any problems at all recoil was heavy enough to do my shoulder in for the day after one box.  This was due to the light weight of the KSG and as with their pistols most of the recoil is getting passed to you..

If I were considering buying a KSG now I would probably hold out for the new KSG7 version that Robocop mentioned.  The article below has some pictures and details for it and the new CP33 .22lr pistol.  If you're not familiar with potential Kel-Tec product availability issues you should know that "holding out" for one of their guns, especially a new model could potentially mean waiting several months and paying near MSRP if/when one does come available. 

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/01/11/secret-new-keltec-guns/

Edited by EugeneStoner

Tom and I finger fuq’d it, and neither were very impressed. 

Starting as a perfect 10 pistol:

-1 For grip shape. Just too damn big for me. Just like a desert eagle. 

-1 for being mostly plastic, and not high quality polymer

-1 for horrible sights, almost forcing you to use a MRDS. 

-1 for the European mag release 

-1 flimsy and awkward charging handle. 

-1 just for being a KelTec and knowing the likely quality  

+1 for a 33rd mag

+1 for a threaded barrel

+1 MLOK accessory rail

+1 for lightweight 

+0 for top picatinny rail... kinda cool? Kinda?

my kingdom to the man who puts a KelTec 33 round mag in a TacSol/Ruger MkIV 22/45 Lite Tactical Pistol. 

7 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

Tom and I finger fuq’d it, and neither were very impressed.

my kingdom to the man who puts a KelTec 33 round mag in a TacSol/Ruger MkIV 22/45 Lite Tactical Pistol. 

Exactly - nailed it.  Oh, and that magazine.  They crushed it with that magazine. It's a quad-stack mag (think SureFire 60-round mag).  They also have a 17-round extension that you can put on it, so it's an even 50-round mag.  Due to it being a quad-stack, those extra 17 rounds only make the mag a little more than AN INCH longer...   :thumbup:

As soon as we walked into the first door in the show, we were ambushed by ZEV Tech, and their brilliant pistol design.  After the guy had to shoo us away with a push broom, we rounded the corner, right into Kel-Tec's booth.  It was a furious tag-team event for the poor worker that tried to greet us - he didn't even get his greeting out...   :lmao:

Rob:  "Where's it at?"

---------simultaneously-----------------

Tom:  "Someone holding it?!"

Kel-Tec worker: "What are you guys tal..."

Rob: "You know what we're talking about!  Where IS it?!"

-------------same deal, talking at the same time-------------

Tom:  "You better point us towards that .22LR pistol, QUICK!!!"

Kel-Tec worker, nervous, can't speak, just POINTS us towards the pistol.  I think there were some people standing around it at the time, and they got bowled RIGHT over...  :laffs::banana:

11 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

That’s actually about as true as I remember it. I don’t think he was ready for that. 

No Joke...   He was NOT ready for anything remotely close to that, on Day 1...   :laffs:

I told you this was gonna go down.  Too bad he was just a victim, in our way...   :banana:

1213085413_RobTomKelTecWorker.thumb.jpg.483916e28ec67ae09eb98be226f5914d.jpg

18 hours ago, JF89 said:

The Tavor does the futuristic look better , imo. Probably better quality too.

The IWI Tavor-7 (7.62x51/.308 Win) rifle announcement last year really caught my interest then its release was delayed to improve its accuracy.  Your comment caused me to see if there are any further updates or whether the Tavor-7 project is even still alive and it is!

3 hours ago, EugeneStoner said:

The IWI Tavor-7 (7.62x51/.308 Win) rifle announcement last year really caught my interest then its release was delayed to improve its accuracy.  Your comment caused me to see if there are any further updates or whether the Tavor-7 project is even still alive and it is!

Yeah I always liked their 5.56 one. a detective in my county carries one in a hidden compartment in his unmarked minivan that was confiscated in a drug arrest. lol.

50 Round Magazine (33+17)

DraggedImage-9-2.jpg

This here is there flaw... The magazine is about a 1/2" longer than it needs to be. KelTec took the cheap route and reused the PMR grip. They didn't want to redesign the grip molds. Then they built up the magazine to fit. If they had remade the grip, it would've been a LOT more comfortable to hold, and there's PLENTY of room for a reduction