• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My gun budget got cut.

Armed Eye Doc

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My work truck (F-150) has that feature. I fukin hate that $hit. You talk about the world's biggest gimmick played on the general sheep of the public. Save gas my ass. That feature was probably concocted by the starter people over at Bendix Corporation.

"""Bendix guys, sitting around a conference table as the CEO speaks.................................................

Gentlemen. We're not selling as many replacement starters these days. What do you think we should do?

VP Johnson (one of the hundreds of VP's these days) quickly raises his hand. I've got it sir. Why don't we get in touch with the auto manufactures and convince them to put an "auto-stop" feature on their vehicles? We can cut them in on the deal, and then have them start an ad campaign about how it'll save you gas or something. Maybe tell the sheep that less emissions or some other bull$hit is being done by them at every stop light, and that they're helping to save the planet. So in turn sir, they'll cycle the $hit out of every starter out there and eventually prematurely burn them all out, Then we sell them all replacements that'll also prematurely burn out in time from overuse.

The CEO stares silently at the young, up and coming exec for a few moments. Finally, saying only one word in a mad scientist kind of exclamation..........BRILLIANT!"""

So anyway. Back to reality. At least my work truck has a button on the dash that disables that auto stop nonsense. You can also click through the menus that are offered on the small screen, and eventually find the setting to disable it. But that's a waste of time, because they beat you to the punch on that one. It resets itself every time you fire the engine. So now I don't even think about it when I get in and fire it up. Hitting that disable button on the dash has become second nature.

6 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

My work truck (F-150) has that feature. I fukin hate that $hit. You talk about the world's biggest gimmick played on the general sheep of the public. Save gas my ass. That feature was probably concocted by the starter people over at Bendix Corporation.

I was thinking that would be rough on the mechanics of an engine, but I am far from an automotive engineer.

4 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

So anyway. Back to reality. At least my work truck has a button on the dash that disables that auto stop nonsense. You can also click through the menus that are offered on the small screen, and eventually find the setting to disable it. But that's a waste of time, because they beat you to the punch on that one. It resets itself every time you fire the engine. So now I don't even think about it when I get in and fire it up. Hitting that disable button on the dash has become second nature.

No off button for auto-stop on the Acadia, at least I could turn off the warnings to check my back seat when I turn it off, kept looking back there thinking WTF could be wrong in my back seat!?!

3 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

No off button for auto-stop on the Acadia, at least I could turn off the warnings to check my back seat when I turn it off, kept looking back there thinking WTF could be wrong in my back seat!?!

The truck does have that.  I haven't been in it enough to get annoyed yet.

34 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Don't worry. That's just the manufacturer looking out for you. I mean, the sheeple are just way too busy to worry about little things..........like their infants in the back seat. They've got face-bookin and twittering to do after all. Don't forget just how self-important these numskulls are.

Edited by Rsquared

3 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

They've got face-bookin and twittering to do after all. Don't forget just how self-important these numskulls are.

It took my young Peruvian intern to explain to me why it was telling me to check the back seat! :laffs:The only way that warning will work is to put a button in the back seat they have to push or the horn and lights will go off, and then it won't be 100%!

Had it on a Subaru Forester I rented last weekend on vacation. Really violent starts and stops. That was extremely irritating. It seems pretty smooth in my dad’s F-150 and I could get used to it. I drive a hybrid back and forth to work, so I’m used to changes in drive types. 

13 hours ago, DNP said:

Our trailer rolled off the assembly line at the end of July. Overnighted the finance paperwork back to them this week and should hear on Tuesday or Wednesday what the delivery schedule will be. 

We bought from Jeff Couch’s RV nation in Ohio. Price was better than anything we could find and so far they’ve been great to work with over email and phone. Won’t give 100% review until it’s here and the process is over, but up to this point I would definitely recommend them to anyone in the market for a trailer. 

We were going to buy from Jeff Couch's too. We went online and spec'd out our XLR Nitro and got a price from them. It was something like 20K below MSRP! The only reason we ended up buying one from Camping World of El Paso was because they just happened to have one on the lot spec'd out the same as what we wanted plus it had the 3rd A/C in the back and it was the same price as the one from Jeff Couch's would have been with delivery fees.

What are you getting?

It’s back a page or so. Cedar Creek 40’ destination trailer. It’s like a park model, but had tanks so it’s “fully self contained” and doesn’t create the same code issues with camping in it on your property. I still plan to pull a temporary occupancy permit to keep inspectors happy as they come out to check on the house, but this makes it just an RV when it’s parked there and they can’t claim I have a second dwelling on the lot. 

4 hours ago, DNP said:

It’s back a page or so. Cedar Creek 40’ destination trailer. It’s like a park model, but had tanks so it’s “fully self contained” and doesn’t create the same code issues with camping in it on your property. I still plan to pull a temporary occupancy permit to keep inspectors happy as they come out to check on the house, but this makes it just an RV when it’s parked there and they can’t claim I have a second dwelling on the lot. 

You did the 40CL upper bunk setup, right?   That thing is ungodly sweet...  

On 8/18/2019 at 3:43 PM, DNP said:

Yes. And yes it is...if we don’t sell it after the house gets built, I’m gonna have an awesome doghouse to wind up in when I’m in trouble. 

Any particular reason why you didn't go with a 5th wheel? 40 ft. is long for a bumper pull RV!

Because it’s like a park model. It’s meant to be lived in, not hauled around.  All we were looking for is as much comfort as we could afford while we build our place. Not knowing how long it will wind up taking us makes me want the most I can get away with space wise.  Some of those 5th wheels were damn nice, but they get pricey quick. I have the toy box for camping and hauling bikes around. 

It may become a home for the in-laws not too far down the road. We’ll find some corner of the property to shove them in. 

I have had five travel trailers since 1970 four bumper pulls from  17' single axle, to  34' Coachman and a 29' fifth wheel and prefer a bumper pull with a load equalizer hitch to any fifth wheel or gooseneck.  Pulled the bumper pulls with Pontiac wagon, Caddy 4 door HT, suburban, Tahoe and 1500 Chevy pickup.  Pulled the fifth wheel with extended cab  1500. Hated every trip with the fifth wheel, and camping in it was a PITA.

Edited by mrmackc

On 8/17/2019 at 9:37 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Shhhh, Susan will hear you.:lmao:

Hahaha, if everything goes right I’ll be pulling some kind of camper to fall shoot 2020. I really like the little tear drop type campers/ adventure campers but holy fuck are they costly! I want somthing I can drive all day pull over and grab my pistola crawl into and go to sleep in weather it’s a rest stop or park of some sorts. I really wished I woulda had one in Utah last fall.