• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Illinois here (hey I can't afford to move)

dafish

Hello all!   Occasional rifle shooter here.   Lost access to my local range (long waiting list), so I only shoot 4 times a year or so until that gets fixed.   shame.  I shoot pistol 3-4 times a month at a indoor range here in down.  I've a Rock River AR-15 I bought mostly assembled, then took it apart to learn how it all worked (OK, I cheated.  I took an armorers class).  I shoot a Remington 700 5r when I'm trying to be accurate, but so far I'm not adequate with it.  I certainly understand trigger control, but I'm just not holding the gun on target, or even close on follow through.

I try to read before I post, usually quite a bit, and in candor I've joined a forum or two and been accused of being a banned member because I knew too much.  Nope, I just try to google and read before I start asking questions.

I suppose I'm an oddity concerning gun rights.  I think we need changes, and in fact I support the current Colorado legislation.  And,  yes, I know any form of control is a slippery slope.  But fella's (and gals), we either come up with reasonable controls or we face the fate of other nations who have lost gun rights.

So why am I here?   Futures.  I trust Illinois not at all, so I'm building three .308's. Mine, my son's, and my grandson's.  Who is 2 1/2 right now.   But I'm not sure about the world, and I want him to have the option, so here we are.

Not reloading yet, but I save brass, have several thousand of most things. (ok, I don't have much .357 sig), and will soon.  In fact I just starting shooting USPSA, so I'm going to need to start reloading soon.

Oh yes.  Computer guy.  I think like an engineer sometimes.

3 hours ago, dafish said:

But fella's (and gals), we either come up with reasonable controls or we face the fate of other nations who have lost gun rights.

Welcome from Iowa, via Missouri.

Riddle me this, what was the last "reasonable" gun control measure that satisfied the left? They will not stop until they have your guns or can be assured you have no ammo. I remember getting carded in Cape Girardeau Missouri to insure I was not an Illinois resident buying ammo............... 

Plenty of members here align with your gun control thoughts, just not me.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Take a short drive we have ranges up here. As far as your gun control thoughts, A lot of different opinions on this forum. I simply think gun owners need to be part of any solution and not have laws shoved down our throars.

1 hour ago, Matt.Cross said:

Welcome to the forums, I can certainly agree we need changes to gun legislation; specifically that we need to undo all the changes that have been made that are contradictory to the 2nd Amendment.

^^^^^^^ This and welcome from Arkysaw

On 6/19/2019 at 5:44 AM, Sisco said:

Welcome from Wisconsin. Take a short drive we have ranges up here. As far as your gun control thoughts, A lot of different opinions on this forum. I simply think gun owners need to be part of any solution and not have laws shoved down our throars.

Howdy, and thanks. 

Yep, I get up into the UP a 2-3 times a year, and there are plenty of 500 yard opportunites there..  🙂

On 6/19/2019 at 5:25 AM, jtallen83 said:

Welcome from Iowa, via Missouri.

Riddle me this, what was the last "reasonable" gun control measure that satisfied the left? They will not stop until they have your guns or can be assured you have no ammo. I remember getting carded in Cape Girardeau Missouri to insure I was not an Illinois resident buying ammo............... 

Plenty of members here align with your gun control thoughts, just not me.

I'm sure we agree on the important things, and even if we didn't it's just another celebration of freedom.

Ammunition:  I could not buy again and have enough.   I started fixing that years ago.  That said now that i'm staring to shoot pistol so much reloading is next up on my "I need to learn to...." list.

All the best,

D

8 hours ago, mrraley said:

Welcome...

Where about in Illinois are ya?

Hello kind sir.  I'm sorta below chicago and above St. Louis.   More than that doesn't get on the internet.  🙂

Did I mention I'm not only in computers, but one of my area's of focus is cyber-crime?  Now seems like time to be explaining myself a bit lest I sound like a azz..

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, dafish said:

Ammunition:  I could not buy again and have enough.   I started fixing that years ago.  That said now that i'm staring to shoot pistol so much reloading is next up on my "I need to learn to...." list

Curious how they deal with reloading, do you need the same paperwork to buy powder and bullets? 

Depends on what you mean.

Paperwork?  Like the required 4473 form and background check required to be guns?  No.

Do you need the states FOID (firearms Owners Identification Card) to buy ammunition?  In practice, yes.  The law only says you are required to possess a FOID to purchase or own ammunition as a state resident.  I don't believe this actually applies to the dealer at point of sale, and certainly an Indiana or etc resident can buy ammo without a FOID card.  That said I buy ammo in 1000 round increments over the internet and I've never been able to do so without sending them a copy of my DL and FOID.  I don't recall being asked to display my FOID at my local gun ranges, but then once they know who you are....

Reloading supplies?  FOID display not require to purchase.   You would however violate Illinois law if you assembled said parts into ammunition without a valid FOID.

Was I sorta clear?

🙂

On 6/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome from Texas.

And you should seriously take the offer to meet up with mrraley to build your rifle.  Anyone on the board would kill for that offer.

Wonder what Pat would charge for a build? That would be badass!

• 4 weeks later...