• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sunday Shoot, 29 Dec 2019

98Z5V

Once again, I've bravely posted about a shoot before it happens.  I rarely do that.  This one will be good.  @MikedaddyH spurned this one, "Sunday after Christmas" and I jumped on it.  @Merle is into this one, so he'll be down.  I'm pretty sure I have @JBMatt and Dirt Bike Tommy engaged, as well. 

This will be "load-development day" and other sorts of chaos.  I know I have .224 Valk loads to work out, and .308 Win Hornady 178gr ELD-X loads to work out.  I know Mike has some Grendel loads to work out...   @JBMatt has some kind of crazy hunting ammo he's brewed up, to work out...  Gun Pusher John has some kind of "chore list" or something he was complaining about to me, so that means his wife is cracking down on his ass, and he probably won't be there. Maybe I need to drop by his place on Saturday night, and sweeten her up a little - maybe give him a kitchen pass...  :laffs:"It'll only be about 2 hours..."   :lmao:

Another sweet part of "Merry Christmas To ME" was a Camp Chef setup for out in the dirt...  so maybe we grill and cook out there on Sunday?...  :thumbup:

P1080436.JPG

I have 10 - 6.5G loads to test and 8 - 224V loads to test. Also a 308 168gr load. Would like to Chrono a few 357sig loads for velocity (curiosity).

Also need to burn up some old 6.8spc ammo. Maybe shoot some 10mm also , because I bought some yesterday at a real low price got it home only to find out it is in aluminum cases.

And a farewell to a co-worker who is like one of my kids.

This just turned into something else...  and I didn't realize it until @Matt.Cross called me a little while ago.  This is the Christmas Shoot...   :laffs:

JB Matt IS coming, WITH Dirt Bike Tommy, and bring another guy with them.  Merle is confirmed, Mikey is confirmed, GP John is in the shithouse with the wife, but I just talked to him, and he's working his "chores list" off RIGHT NOW so he can shoot...  That means "Brooks The Cop" might show up, if John is coming...    :lmao:

The grill is going, we're cooking SOMETHING, and making a day of it, just for load development...   :banana:

I seasoned the grill after I got off work today - it's ready to go...  :thumbup:

WTF just happened... 

On 12/28/2019 at 6:44 AM, DNP said:

That’s a bitchin grill 98!  @edgecrusher should have no problem cooking 60 eggs at a time on that!

That things was worth it's weight on gold today, brother - I love it already.  :thumbup:   When I got up this morning, it was 32 degrees.  Weird for here. 

We had a great time out there today, got out there around 10am, and stayed until it was time to beat the sunset outta there...

@JBMatt and Tommy beat us out there, came down and went straight to the site.  @MikedaddyH brought a friend from work, girl that's going in the Air Force in a couple weeks.  @Merle came down...   First thing I did when we got out there was unload the truck and fire up that griddle - straight to Chorizo and eggs, for breakfast burritos!   Matt brought his chrono, and got a TON of load development done.  I doped out all my .308 Win 178 ELD-X loads, and .224 Valk loads...  Grilled up a late afternoon lunch of NY Strips and brats.  Gave the little grill a good workout for it's first outing, and it did fantastic.  I'll be working on the final data for all my shooting info in the next couple days.  Ran the hell out of that little G43X - that thing is one hell of a shooter! Straight to a set of AmeriGlo night sights and a carry holster for that one. 

Overall, one hell of a great day, very mild winds if there were any winds at all.  When it was blowing, it wasn't over 3mph.  I'm glad that those that could make it, did.  Great people and a great time.   :thumbup:

P1080437.thumb.JPG.28cb28f52332f9e3bb517ee058988d74.JPG

P1080438.thumb.JPG.ad324767ddbd473f1fc43bbc87ee8609.JPG

P1080439.thumb.JPG.e09adca13732c11c8aae505aa0d0def2.JPG

P1080440.thumb.JPG.9883a1bbd4e1450575a1d90376f5184a.JPG

Edited by 98Z5V

33 minutes ago, Merle said:

Hell yea, brother! Had a great time and I'm still full!

We ate like Champs today...   :lmao:   I need to get a new grill before every major outing...   :banana:

I'm glad you made it down, brother - what a riot.  You gotta see if you can make the Spring Shoot.  It'll pretty much be the same Usual Suspects you met today, plus one Matt Cross and a Canadian Wildman, and maybe even @Magwa.  It's camping out there for that one, the firepit, night shoots, High Angle, all that...   :thumbup:

Load development, for me, was a HUGE SUCCESS today.  Fucking OUTSTANDING!  .224 Valk with Hornady 88gr ELD-Ms is solved.  The .308 Win load with Hornady 178gr ELD-X (the expanding hunting projo), SOLVED.  New powder, that I happen to have 8lbs of - gonna be used, and it's good. 

.224 Valk ended up at: 18" BA SPR barrel, rifle gas // Hornady 88gr ELD-M projo // 2692fps // Hodgdon CFE 223 powder, 26.2gr // CCI 41 primer //  mix of Hornady and Federal brass.  Fucking stellar results from it.  That's the Chosen One, for my 88s in the Valk.  Supersonic to 1150 yards.  Hornady Max listed load for this one, in the online Erata Data, is 26.0gr of CFE 223.  Hmmm...

.308 Win load - this is gonna get crossed over into my Rem bolt gun, too.  Mk11 Mod 0 // 18.5" Kreiger Criterion barrel from Fulton Armory, rifle gas // Hornady 178gr ELD-X projo // 2530 fps // Accurate 2495 powder, 40.6gr // CCI 200 primer // used all the NEXUS Match brass for these loads.  I'll try other brass, too, but this brass was GREAT to work with.  At 40.6gr, best one, it was a 5-rd group at 0.689".  The group below it was 40.4gr, and came in at 0.696".  I'm tempted to try 40.5gr and 40.7gr, and see what they do.  Right now, I have a winner, though...  This load will keep a heavy .308 Win projo supersonic to 1050 yards.   Hornady Max listed load for this one, in the 10 Manual, is 40.2gr of Accurate 2495.  Hmmm again...  Hornady always lists their max loads a little "conservatively." 

10 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

God damn I wished I lived closer to you my brother. It looked like a great time.

9 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

That is what I was thinking.

My brothers - you gotta get on whatever frequent-flyer program @Matt.Cross is on...  He either flies out here for free, or for $12 or something insane like that...   :banana:

Ron R2 - Not Ron Doc - you were almost here, brother.  You were just up there with the grandkids, in Reno...   That's WELL WITHIN Striking distance of this pile of dirt...   :lmao:

@Robert@FULL30 - just wanted you to see this one, brother...  Maybe, one day, I can rope you into coming out here for a big shoot.   :thumbup:  It's likely something you will never experience anywhere else, and it's DEFINITELY something that you will never forget...   :laffs:

@Cunuckgaucho asked me what's all in my chest rig, at the last Fall Shoot.  I started to tell him what's in there, and said, "We'll get everything out and go over it all in awhile..."   Things got so crazy, that we never ended up doing that...

Well, I keep two small notebooks in there, and a good pen.  One notebook is a cheap little throw-away, that I write anything and everything in.  Once I confirm some information, it then gets crossed over into the Rite-In-The-Rain "permanent notebook."  I got a BUNCH of data today from shooting, that needs to be crossed over to the permanent notebook now...  :thumbup:

Had a great time out there today !!!!

Load development was almost a complete success. Shoot one of each load on 224V, brass was perfect. No issues !  On the 6.5G I shot one of each load but had an issue with Sierra 120gr Spitzer bullets chambering, The shape of the projectile would not fit my chamber of my new gun. I used factory Hornady 123gr Black ammo worked great. Converted 7.62x39 brass with Hornady 120ELDM & 129 SST work great. The Sierra 130TGK worked out great ,also shot in 1x Grendel brass. No pressure signs in any of the converted brass. 

I had Load of 168gr HPBT with 44.5 gr of Varget which Chrono'ed around 2775fps , slightly hot with the primers showing signs of pressure problems. But a smoken' load!

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That things was worth it's weight on gold today, brother - I love it already.  :thumbup:   When I got up this morning, it was 32 degrees.  Weird for here. 

We had a great time out there today, got out there around 10am, and stayed until it was time to beat the sunset outta there...

@JBMatt and Tommy beat us out there, came down and went straight to the site.  @MikedaddyH brought a friend from work, girl that's going in the Air Force in a couple weeks.  @Merle came down...   First thing I did when we got out there was unload the truck and fire up that griddle - straight to Chorizo and eggs, for breakfast burritos!   Matt brought his chrono, and got a TON of load development done.  I doped out all my .308 Win 178 ELD-X loads, and .224 Valk loads...  Grilled up a late afternoon lunch of NY Strips and brats.  Gave the little grill a good workout for it's first outing, and it did fantastic.  I'll be working on the final data for all my shooting info in the next couple days.  Ran the hell out of that little G43X - that thing is one hell of a shooter! Straight to a set of AmeriGlo night sights and a carry holster for that one. 

Overall, one hell of a great day, very mild winds if there were any winds at all.  When it was blowing, it wasn't over 3mph.  I'm glad that those that could make it, did.  Great people and a great time.   :thumbup:

P1080437.thumb.JPG.28cb28f52332f9e3bb517ee058988d74.JPG

P1080438.thumb.JPG.ad324767ddbd473f1fc43bbc87ee8609.JPG

P1080439.thumb.JPG.e09adca13732c11c8aae505aa0d0def2.JPG

P1080440.thumb.JPG.9883a1bbd4e1450575a1d90376f5184a.JPG

This was great !!! 

Had a successful day.

Genevieve had a great time and opened here eyes to Firearms a bit more. She also had questions answered by Tommy which she needed in her career choice !! Thanks Tommy !!!!!

Tom food was fantastic 👍

6 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

This was great !!! 

Had a successful day.

Genevieve had a great time and opened here eyes to Firearms a bit more. She also had questions answered by Tommy which she needed in her career choice !! Thanks Tommy !!!!!

Tom food was fantastic 👍

This was a fucking great day, brother...   Can't thank you enough, just for being in it all...  I mean that - and not just because we're brothers, and you're just a 'lil tanner than me...  :hail:

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Load development, for me, was a HUGE SUCCESS today.  Fucking OUTSTANDING!  .224 Valk with Hornady 88gr ELD-Ms is solved.  The .308 Win load with Hornady 178gr ELD-X (the expanding hunting projo), SOLVED.  New powder, that I happen to have 8lbs of - gonna be used, and it's good. 

.224 Valk ended up at: 18" BA SPR barrel, rifle gas // Hornady 88gr ELD-M projo // 2692fps // Hodgdon CFE 223 powder, 26.2gr // CCI 41 primer //  mix of Hornady and Federal brass.  Fucking stellar results from it.  That's the Chosen One, for my 88s in the Valk.  Supersonic to 1150 yards.  Hornady Max listed load for this one, in the online Erata Data, is 26.0gr of CFE 223.  Hmmm...

That is very promising. A ran loads of 27.7gr  28.0gr & 28.2gr of CFE223 with Hornady 80gr ELDM and it showed no pressure signs !