• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help finding the barrel I want.

Valetic

4 hours ago, Valetic said:

Well, I’m sold. This rabbit trail ends at the adjustable gas block. I didn’t realize how permanent it is. I found one company that does (BRT) that makes one you can microtune on the fly. But they don’t make one in the barrel size I need. I mean they might if I call them up, apparently they’re a sort of mom and pop thing, and might do it as a one off.

But it’s all enough to convince me that I need to just buy a damn bolt action hunting rifle and a heavy ass BCG for my SHTF.

Thanks everyone, it’s been beautiful. Hope to see you all again.

Thanks for stopping by, best of luck to you.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/21/2020 at 11:21 AM, Valetic said:

This probably gets me in more trouble than I’d like to admit. Didn’t mean to come in here with a lack of respect. Was just being a bit headstrong because I thought I knew what I wanted.

Headstrong is hardly what I would call your postings, I would call what you keep on saying is that you don't know much about anything connected with guns, ballistics, cartridges or shooting at anything or at any range. But that is just one earthling's opinion, have a good life and don't slip on a banana peel.

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You're a research-aholic.  Build a functional gun from known, proven parts that work, don't complicate it - then fuk with it later and mod it all out.  But, do that after it runs right.

I've told you what works, to make a functional gun, that eats anything you feed it.  What you do is up to you.  Good luck.  :thumbup:

I have one more question for you.

Would you say the JP VMOS is more reliable than a full mass system, it takes the SCS buffer, or is that complicating it?

44 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Headstrong is hardly what I would call your postings, I would call what you keep on saying is that you don't know much about anything connected with guns, ballistics, cartridges or shooting at anything or at any range. But that is just one earthling's opinion, have a good life and don't slip on a banana peel.

Damn you found me out.

3 hours ago, Valetic said:

Would you say the JP VMOS is more reliable than a full mass system, it takes the SCS buffer, or is that complicating it?

Damn you found me out.

.I really don't know what a JP VMOS is or does besides I don't like to give advice about alphabet soup or any alphabet stuff I don't know what it is. or what it does.

I'm not always so abusive, but when I am, I tend to be obnoxious as well . 

Hang around here and these guys will teach you a lot, they have taught me a lot and when I came here I couldn't give a crap for these AR10 and LR 308 "Matel  it is swell" platform rifles, I bought one and found out I didn't know crap about how well or if they even did they work, even tho I had been a licensed gunsmith since the late 1960s.

This is the first American made firearm I ever bought new as a factory piece that required "breaking in"  Well live and learn.

8 hours ago, Valetic said:

I would say that the most reliable .308AR system you can build, that MUST last the test of time, be neglected, work everytime, shoots any ammo that you pick up or find,function in good weather AND bad weather...

Has a ToolCraft BCG, it has an Armalite AR-10 recoil system, it had the proper-length gas tube for your barrel configuration, and it has the proper sized gas port in the barrel.  IF it has those things, it will run, always, with any ammo.  It's SIMPLE.  It DOESN"T involve uber-expensive parts. It involves very proven, reliable parts that function properly every single time.  They may not be cheap parts, but you can find deals on them, and they work very well together.  

Accuracy?  More of that is YOU than it is the gun parts that you buy, but some of it is the parts that you buy.  I'll bet I can hand you one of several ARs that I have that will cold-bore first-round an IPSC steel plate at 850 yards, everytime - and you can't get it to shoot like that.  That's where trigger time, a very solid foundation in shooting fundamentals, and alot of additional training come in. 

If you really want accuracy, look at 2-stage triggers.  And buy a good quality barrel.    Don't use shiit Chinese or airsoft parts, use real gun parts, throughout the gun build.  Get a good optic, and spend the money on a good mount.  If you do those simple things, that gun will outshoot you...  You'll need to get better, in order to outshoot that aspect of the parts selection.

If seems like you just want to argue, or stir the pot or something, though - because you're not listening to a damn thing that has been told to you.  You just refuse to listen.

What is your Giant Boner about the JP parts, when you've directly stated that all you know is about research?  What's the furthest distance that you've ever shot at, and hit? That's not a call-out, that's an honest question, and recommendations on your honest answer will come from that honest answer - because you're gonna need training.  Not internet-education, and looking things up - you need training, and then you'll need alot of practice, where you go out on your own, and apply the training that you learned.  And that's gonna take alot of $$$ in ammo.

19 hours ago, Valetic said:

I just wanted to know what I was doing before I decide to drop a couple of stacks on a rig. I probably am asking too much out of one thing. And the farther I go down this rabbit hole the more I see that.

Like I’m talking about accuracy yet I wanna run a gas system.

Oh well, thanks for trying lol

Gas systems can be very accurate.  All 7 of my large-frame ARs are direct impingement gas.  They're all good. 

Now, maybe you ARE asking too much from one gun build.  That's why I have 7 - and they're all different, because each one of them does something better than the other one.  They all have different reasons for building them.

What YOU need to do for your first build, is figure out the things that you REALISTICALLY want it to do.  Post those expectations up.  We'll let you know what part of your expectations just can't happen with that combination of parts - and what WILL work. 

OP

It's already been stated that you don't need to over complicate $hit with super slick race gun parts just to try and reach some rifle nirvana point.

Case in point. I've got a 12" AR-10 SBR that I've taken out to the desert fall shoots that we do every year. I've stated many times that I love building rifles, I love shooting rifles....but I absolutely HATE cleaning rifles. But, that being said, I didn't bother cleaning this rifle between the fall shoots last time out. Needless to say. We go through ALOT of ammo at some of these get togethers. But my "little", ball of hate-filled SBR didn't even hiccup last time out. Why? Because it has nothing but.....standard Armalite AR-10 parts with a Noveske barrel. The only "modified" parts would be an extra heavy buffer from our guy Slash and a Geissele trigger.

And that is why this thing just works. Even after being dragged through the dirt. And even being a "short barrel", it'll bang steel at 500 yards.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, Valetic said:

Was planning on doing a 6.5 Grendel build in the AR 15 platform, but decided it just doesn’t pack a big enough punch. So I want to do a 308 instead.

Been looking around on google, the closest I came to getting what I wanted was a Krieger, but they don’t have 18 inch on their customs page. Here’s the specs I want.

18 or 18 1/2 inch, heavy barrel, 11-11.5 twist, Stainless steel, Nitrided, end of barrel threaded, planned on using somewhere between 150-180 grain bullets, going to take it deer hunting, would like to be able to shoot out to maybe 250-300 yards but most likely all my shots will be within the 200 range. Will also be my SHTF gun. Not a panic buyer. Not being stingy on price either. Looking for quality, and accuracy/precision if I ever wanna shoot paper or steel past 300 since I have the privilege (or just not miss a deer lol).

Any recommendations on a BCG would be appreciated as well. Having a hard time finding the upper parts for this platform unlike the AR 15. Dunno if I need a gen 1 or 2, if that makes a difference. Just wanna start at the barrel and work my way back. Thanks in advance.

For those that were reading this, and all the back-and-forth...  

Per his own statement, he went with a Bear Creek barrel. I don't know which one he went with, because they only offer 1:10" twist barrels.  /end.

For the record, I've got a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel on my M4 Grendel, and it's a shooter. 16" Carbine gas barrel.  In my build thread on this gun, and in another thread here, there's an account of that same barrel NOT shooting.  Hit or miss with them, but they DO have a lifetime guarantee - and I specifically talked to them about this at this last SHOT Show.  Talked directly to the owner of the company.  I think I put that info up in the SHOT thread for this year, and the details of our conversation.  Let's see if @Valetic can find my info on that specific information, since he's the research god.

At any rate, this one shoots:

P1060781.JPG

Let's just hope that @Valetic's .308 barrel shoots.  Well, no, we don't have to worry about that here - he must have bought that barrel from massive recommendations from his extensive research - from another board.  Nobody here has recommended that barrel to him, but that's what he went with.  After he was all JP-smack about everything, in every possible JP-configuration.  Strange, the sudden turn in decision-and-purchase...

On 3/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, Rsquared said:

OP

And that is why this thing just works. Even after being dragged through the dirt. And even being a "short barrel", it'll bang steel at 500 yards.

Worked pretty good till my night vision was just a bunch of floating bright lights in a field of black :thumbup:

Fallshoot2019a.jpg

I went bear creek because I saw one video and one comment saying how their rifling was pretty good. It was a budget item in an already inexpensive build. Didn’t really see the need to overdo it if I’m trying to listen to your boy here.

If I should send it back I will. Should I go with the JP? Lmao

Edited by Valetic

3 minutes ago, Valetic said:

I went bear creek because I saw one video and one comment saying how their rifling was pretty good. It was a budget item in an already inexpensive build. Didn’t really see the need to overdo it if I’m trying to listen to your boy here.

If I should send it back I will. Should I go with the JP? Lmao

We're partly busting your balls, cause we do that a bit from time to time....

But in all seriousness, I don't get your reasoning. The barrel is the heart and soul of a rifle, if you care enough about the effectiveness of your build to contemplate JP components, why are you cheaping out on the barrel? 

It makes no sense to me.

I mean what’s the difference if it shoots. My thinking was if the BCG can handle it the barrel should be able to handle the rest.

like was said before, I could just get something simple to start with, and worry about complicated bullsht after I get up and running. Probably gonna get a 308 bolt rifle to pair so I have more of the same type of ammo layin around.

I’m only interested in shooting 0-100 yards with it if I really needed to off the range for some reason. So bear creek seemed fair, not bad, but decent.

20 minutes ago, Valetic said:

I mean what’s the difference if it shoots. My thinking was if the BCG can handle it the barrel should be able to handle the rest.

like was said before, I could just get something simple to start with, and worry about complicated bullsht after I get up and running. Probably gonna get a 308 bolt rifle to pair so I have more of the same type of ammo layin around.

I’m only interested in shooting 0-100 yards with it if I really needed to off the range for some reason. So bear creek seemed fair, not bad, but decent.

If the requirements are just that it shoots and cycles, a Bear Creek barrel might be sufficient. However, you could instead buy the Fulton Armory barrel that was 1st recommended to you and there would be no need to upgrade it until it wears out. Then you aren't buying multiple barrels and there's no question of quality or pickiness concerning ammo. 

Is their barrel really that much better? Not really being picky at all at this point. Is there a reason the bear creek won’t eat anything I feed it? I’ll cancel the order if I can if y’all really think I should.

wasn’t planning on swapping barrels out again really, just something I can soldier up with for now.

32 minutes ago, Valetic said:

Is their barrel really that much better? Not really being picky at all at this point. Is there a reason the bear creek won’t eat anything I feed it? I’ll cancel the order if I can if y’all really think I should.

wasn’t planning on swapping barrels out again really, just something I can soldier up with for now.

If it's already ordered, try it out and see what you get. If nothing else, it may benefit someone else who is thinking of going the same route. The Fulton Armory barrel has proven to be an exceptional barrel for the better part of a decade in my own experience, along with others here, at every distance from arms reach to 1000 yards and slightly beyond.

3 hours ago, Valetic said:

The difference here, is how you started this thread, and your giant boner that you have for race-gun parts, that you propagated throughout this thread.  NOW,you're saying that your only goal is shooting 100 yards...

Below, also in red, are your first few posts here, on what you needed. NEEDED. 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, Valetic said:

Was planning on doing a 6.5 Grendel build in the AR 15 platform, but decided it just doesn’t pack a big enough punch. So I want to do a 308 instead.

Been looking around on google, the closest I came to getting what I wanted was a Krieger, but they don’t have 18 inch on their customs page. Here’s the specs I want.

18 or 18 1/2 inch, heavy barrel, 11-11.5 twist, Stainless steel, Nitrided, end of barrel threaded, planned on using somewhere between 150-180 grain bullets, going to take it deer hunting, would like to be able to shoot out to maybe 250-300 yards but most likely all my shots will be within the 200 range. Will also be my SHTF gun. Not a panic buyer. Not being stingy on price either. Looking for quality, and accuracy/precision if I ever wanna shoot paper or steel past 300 since I have the privilege (or just not miss a deer lol).

Any recommendations on a BCG would be appreciated as well. Having a hard time finding the upper parts for this platform unlike the AR 15. Dunno if I need a gen 1 or 2, if that makes a difference. Just wanna start at the barrel and work my way back. Thanks in advance.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:17 PM, Valetic said:

I say 1:11 ish because of the grain I plan on using, and I do have the opportunity to shoot some steel around 700-1000 yards so proper twisting might be appropriate for those distances. I’m not trying to get into long range shooting too much but it would be great to learn.

Was also unaware stainless didn’t get nitride. So thanks for that as well.

Thanks I’ll check it out.

You insinuated that you already know the appropriate twist for shooting steel at 700-1000 yards - and you were not correct, because you don't know what projectiles you should be shooting, if 700-1000 yards is really a goal that you have - which it is not.  Apparently. 

Keep in mind, I'm not making this up here - these were the first two posts that you made here.  I didn't make them - YOU made them.  Go back and read them, if you don't remember what you wrote.

You were given some very solid recommendations - and then you went off the rails on race-gun parts, as well as quoting whatever "theoretically" that you learned on the inter-webz.  Pure bullshiit. 

Theoretically a 1:11 would be closer to the gyroscopic stability the manufacturers would recommend for a 175 ...

Whatever.  Then, you get into youre race-gun parts argument:

Are you saying these JP systems aren’t reliable? If so, in what environment? [/quote]

After all this bullshiit that you went through here, and your arguments on race-gun parts - that YOU don't even know WTF you're talking about...  You buy a BCA barrel, and COMPLETELY change the direction of the topic that YOU started.  Now, you're building a mythical $400 gun. 

You are some piece of work.  What trigger time do you actually have?  How much have you actually shot?  I was nice in my replies throughout this thread with you, and your bullshiit, but those days are done.  As far as guns go, you couldn't find your ass with both hands AND a map to it.  You need to get over this "research" bullshiit, and what you think you've found as great info - and get a gun and shoot it.  Then, after a hundred rounds, when you finally zero it - start to shoot it at 200 yards and see what happens.  You're a long ways away from shooting and hitting anything at 700-1000 yards, like your original claim that you made for this gun - you'll not hit shiit at that distance, not where you are now.  From what you're stating, and all your research, you're gonna need targets at 25 and 50, just to get something to a 100-yard zero.

You, as I stated before, are just an Ask-Hole.  Ask everything, then don't apply any results that you are given.  Because, you research.  Get a gun, and just shoot it.  It's gonna become pretty clear once you do that.  If you would have listened to the singe-most important piece of information that you were given in this thread, right at Post #2, you would have bought that Fulton Armory barrel.  That's all out the window now, because you only want to shoot 100 yards, and all your original FLUFF was just that.  Bullshiit, from you.

Edited by 98Z5V

Anyways I listened to you in the end if it matters. I had to have an epiphany for that to happen, but I’m glad I did keep reading into it because then I would’ve been stuck with a shorter barrel than I would’ve wanted for competition use anyways. It’s just a gun at the end of the day. And if I want quality I’ll get it after I put some rounds down range. Not looking to hunt with this thing, regardless who makes the barrel, at 14.5 inches. I’ll save that for a bolt action or race gun later. I just don’t see the point in the original build anymore because I was wanting an all in one in 3 or 4 directions. Something something different tools different situations.

if you still wanna be a jackass about the past that’d be fine too, I could use a good chuckle.

20 hours ago, Valetic said:

if you still wanna be a jackass about the past that’d be fine too, I could use a good chuckle.

REALLY?  Who has been the Jackass throughout this thread?... I think you need to start reading it again, from your very first post...  :popcorn:

If you want to start slinging the personal insults, I'm good with that.  Once I start, I won't let up on you.  Know that now.