• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the group

shrade

Been lurking around this site for a few days, thought I had better sign up. retired 2 years ago after 44 years in the construction industry, managed to pick up a few nice firearms along the way. A relative new comer to the  AR platform. Went thru several AR's in 308, before I found one I like. M&P 10 had some issues with being under gassed after a couple hundred rounds still wasn't as dependable as I thought it should be. Then a POF, it was a 10+ lb. beast, dependable but just to damn heavy. Currently have a DPMS G 2 Recon with a 16' barrel. Runs pretty good, reasonably  accurate, weighs less than the POF. Has been reliable. Taken two white tale with it using 150 grn. Federal Fusion factory ammo. Have been interested in the articles about using heavier buffers/springs  to lessen recoil.  Just want to learn from knowledgeable folks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 1:03 AM, RedRiverII said:

Welcome aboard shrade.  Congratulations on two fronts,  one being a 44 year career in a construction trade and the other bring the ability to retire.  Don't sit down,  move move move.  What's your favorite firearm from your collection?

RRII   I can't narrow it down to just one, Their are two that are special to me. My father bought a Colt Mark IV series 70 in 45 ACP. in the mid '70's, It is now my favorite, and gets shot occasionally in his honor. The other is a 1934 Smith & Wesson 22 Outsoorsman, that , IMO is the finest revolver S&W built. I shoot it a lot. The list of almost favorites is considerably longer. 

Good for you @shrade as both are classics.  It is never a bad idea to become proficient with either one,  or both.  Personally I continue to be a faithful fan of the 1911 no matter the flavor of the month.  Personal tastes toward steel and wood run deep,  although I freely admit the benefits of plastics and inserts.  The sheer pleasure of craftsmanship belongs to the former class of firearms.  Add the lineage of ownership as you have,  the brace of pistols,  it doesn't get any better than that.  Enjoy,  I'm sure there is a couple of good stories wrapped up your collection to boot.

Edited by RedRiverII

RRII:

I agree with your taste for blue steel and walnut. My collection of Smith's and Kimber 22 rimfires reflect this. With the arthritis in my left hand getting worse I am not able to easily rack the slide on a 1911, so have changed my EDC to a Shield 9EZ. I guess their is a place for "plastics and inserts". Nothing to look at but totally  functional and reliable. 

• 1 month later...