• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Shadow wolves.........

Magwa

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Arizona.  Several years ago, here, Jon @planeflyer21 and I offered to "take you on a tour" whilst out here visiting, to this direct area.  It's an eye-opener.

In early 2004, the US Army re-started a Viet Nam War Era skill again, and started teaching "Combat Tracking" again.  I was lucky enough to be in the pilot class, and the Level 2 advanced class directly afterwards.  We were the proof-of-concept for the training curriculum.  I think the only other person here that I've ever told that to was Greg @edgecrusher

That's a damn good video, brother - thank you for posting that.  :thumbup:

14 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Welcome to Arizona.  Several years ago, here, Jon @planeflyer21 and I offered to "take you on a tour" whilst out here visiting, to this direct area.  It's an eye-opener.

In early 2004, the US Army re-started a Viet Nam War Era skill again, and started teaching "Combat Tracking" again.  I was lucky enough to be in the pilot class, and the Level 2 advanced class directly afterwards.  We were the proof-of-concept for the training curriculum.  I think the only other person here that I've ever told that to was Greg @edgecrusher. 

That's a damn good video, brother - thank you for posting that.  :thumbup:

Yup. Late night belly up to the bar. I’d love to take something like that to bolster my professional training. My partner and I are very successful but he does most of the work

it is a skill that takes a different level of patience instead of looking at it in terms of time spent ,or time it takes to catch the bad guys think more in time of natural occurrence read sign like a time of day and forget how many hours are in a day just find the next piece of information in the story....

14 hours ago, Magwa said:

it is a skill that takes a different level of patience instead of looking at it in terms of time spent ,or time it takes to catch the bad guys think more in time of natural occurrence read sign like a time of day and forget how many hours are in a day just find the next piece of information in the story....

That next piece of information in the story is exactly it, brother.  Tracking is looking at what's supposed to be there - and is different.  You have to be able to pick out what's different, than what it's supposed to be.

Tracking PEOPLE is way different.  Toe digs, heel digs, impression depth - tell you alot about what just crossed your terrain - if you KNOW you terrain, which is step 1.  You can get to a point where you can look at a sand wash, look at a bunch of prints, and pretty much determine how many of them there were, how much of a load they were carrying, and what speed they were moving at.  Impression depth, toe digs and heel digs tell you all that. 

Step 1 is finding out what's supposed to be there, and that next piece of information in the story is finding what is different, from what's supposed to be there - that's the only clue you're gonna get, tracking something. You are tracking something, and it's gonna disturb nature, when it moves - you'll either see what it disturbed, or you'll miss it.  Whether you find it, depends on your perception skills.  Miss it, or don't miss it - when it turned a corner or stepped over a rock - it disturbed something.  You,... you have to find that something that was disturbed... Broken grass straw, turned branch, missing moss off a rock, twist in the dirt, leaves missing from a tree branch...  If it's not right, then it's not right - and something that was an outside force caused it - the wind didn't do it - and that's what you're looking for...  Something forced what you're seeing there, on the ground, dirt, grass, terrain...  That's your clue - keep going, because you're on the right track...   :thumbup:   Before you think you'll be a tracking ninja - you need to get into your terrain and you need to find out "what RIGHT looks like..."  You need to know your surroundings.  Drop you in the north woods of Michigan, and tell you "TRACK!" ...   Well, WTF is normal here, man?...  Dump you into Afghanistan, and tell you to track people... "Shiit, Bro - this is all ROCK up here at 8k feet - WTF am I LOOKING FOR up here, besides people shiitting in the ROCKS?!!?..."

Sounds crazy, but that's all part of it.  It's not the same, everywhere, and it depends on what you're tracking, and where you're tracking it.  Blood trail from a deer is child's play.  It's bleeding.  If you didn't find it, it's because you missed the end of the blood trail, whe it piled up into something - because that's what they do.  They're dead,know they're dead,and the pile up into the underbrush...  Calm down, go back to "last blood" - and start your re-track from RIGHT THERE. If you've already BEEN everywhere else - that deer or orther critter is within 50 yards circumference from that last blood.  I guaranteed it - it just piled up so hard, in that last panic, that it buried itself in dirt - and you can't see it... 

Tracking is a skill - but it's also an artform. I'm definitely not at any "artform" level. That's a different breed of man, right there. I've worked with two people in my entire life that were like that, and it's pretty fucking scary, what they see and know, when they're walking.  The one guy (brother) that made the biggest impression on me, and influenced me the most, was a Hopi Indian, and he was an 18C, Special Forces Engineer.  For a 5'4" dude that weighed about 170lbs - he was an unstoppable force, all by himself.  Lifetime lessons from him, just watching him work, and do what he needed to do. 

Irwin R. (Ernie) Pohleahla - I hope you read this brother. Search me out if you find it.  :thumbup:

98 ,you are spot on so many do not get it , not because they are not capable but because they look at it in the wrong way once you get into the flow of looking for what does now belong, what does not look right and your gut saying this way you get into the head space of the critter you are following ,2 legged, 4 whatever when you get into its head space it is like following the yellow brick road....I would love to meet your brother.....

Here is an article I read in a magazine I read.  It describes the difference between observant people and the oblivious.  The basic premise is that the observant are trained from a young age to not only think as a predator, but to put yourself in the position of potential prey so that you are aware of the entire environment around you and not solely focused on the prize.  

Sorry that they are pictures, but I cannot scan them at the moment.

IMG_20200905_110700.thumb.jpg.c17c06d86942312bb2727a516f845fcf.jpg

IMG_20200905_112036.thumb.jpg.603162ef22a020997ced9e1c05810fd9.jpgIMG_20200905_112220.thumb.jpg.4e1b5e82b0411b46d0d79d2d38fb261c.jpg

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

On 8/29/2020 at 6:04 AM, Magwa said:

98 ,you are spot on so many do not get it , not because they are not capable but because they look at it in the wrong way once you get into the flow of looking for what does now belong, what does not look right and your gut saying this way you get into the head space of the critter you are following ,2 legged, 4 whatever when you get into its head space it is like following the yellow brick road....I would love to meet your brother.....

Not only in tracking, but in doing a effective  recon or investigation, Look for what ain't exactly right! of course you first have gotta know what exactly right is, it is a full time search to find out what is right and what ain't.