• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magazine Hoarding

Cliff R

I knew this was coming after the last "Obinen" speech.

Last week our local Rural King had boxes full of 30 round Magpul AR mags and they were hanging in three different displays back in the gun-barn.  Seemed to be no end to them.  I went in there last Friday and NOTHING, sold all of them.  I talked to one of the guys behind the gun counter and he said folks have been flooding in and buying them up in all their stores.

So no guns, no ammo and now no magazines.  About all you can find here are 22 single action Red Rider pistols, a few pretty "high end" pistols, and some really "high end" steel shot turkey loads at a couple dollars a round.  Makes me wonder if things will ever get back to "normal" again, or if their will ever be a "normal" with this sort of thing?.........FWIW.....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will never get back to normal long as the commies are in power. every time Sniff makes a threat to ban guns and mags it will spark a mass buy. and he is going to make that threat many times. also every mass shooting will do it too. i noticed the ammo was starting to come back a little and was barely coming down on price untill that last shooting.

I don't look for normal too ever happen til we get rid of these democrat communist that are in power now and there are a few of them.

15 hours ago, Cliff R said:

I knew this was coming after the last "Obinen" speech.

Last week our local Rural King had boxes full of 30 round Magpul AR mags and they were hanging in three different displays back in the gun-barn.  Seemed to be no end to them.  I went in there last Friday and NOTHING, sold all of them.  I talked to one of the guys behind the gun counter and he said folks have been flooding in and buying them up in all their stores.

So no guns, no ammo and now no magazines.  About all you can find here are 22 single action Red Rider pistols, a few pretty "high end" pistols, and some really "high end" steel shot turkey loads at a couple dollars a round.  Makes me wonder if things will ever get back to "normal" again, or if their will ever be a "normal" with this sort of thing?.........FWIW.....

Brother, I will not lie.  I've been hoarding USGI magazines since 19 December 1989.  We got a brand new issue of mags to take into Panama.  They didn't care about out previous issue of mags...  (nice...   these bitches are MINE now).  I left that unit in 1991.  That was when I left the first duty station where they said "Keep those, they're all worn out..."  I got my first basic load GIVEN to me!!!   AGAIN!!!   WooHoo!!!   :banana:  It was even better in SF - every so often, we'd get a new issue of mags.  Ask the Armorer, "What are we supposed to do with the old ones?..."   Answer, "I don't care, I was told to issue all new mags to everyone..."  Score... 

I retired in 2007.  I don't know how many issue mags I have, no idea.  In 2009~2010, I started converting them all over to the "new" (then) MagPul rebuild kits.  New springs, MagPul followers, etc.  It took me year of "monthly budgeting" to convert all those mags - and I put them in several boxes, stored them away. 

15 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

It will never get back to normal long as the commies are in power. every time Sniff makes a threat to ban guns and mags it will spark a mass buy. and he is going to make that threat many times. also every mass shooting will do it too. i noticed the ammo was starting to come back a little and was barely coming down on price untill that last shooting.

I don't look for normal too ever happen til we get rid of these democrat communist that are in power now and there are a few of them.

We should have learned this from O'Buttfuk.  He was the best Gun Salesman in US history.  Seems like the combination of Fake Pandemic, Riots In The Streets last summer, and Smokin' JoeBama have stoked sales even higher, than ever before - and now, for as long as I can remember - it's affected reloading.  I don't ever remember all this Panic-Shiit affecting reloading before.  But, it's sure fucked up now, if you reload.

After Sandy Hook in 2012, Varget powder dried up.  I even asked a guy at SHOT show in 2014 about that - he said they were making 5000lbs a month, and it was shipping. With all their other stuff that they make.  None.  I switched over to Alliant RL-15, and never looked back.   Flash forward to now - One of my best reloading shops had to charge me $200 for a 5lb jug of RL-15 last month...  Because he can't buy in bulk anymore.  Onesies and twosies, when he can find it - but he saved it for me.  I paid full HAZMAT fees for that single 5lb jug, too. 

It is what it is, right now.  I had to drop $100 for a brick of CCI 41s.  That was $45, in normal times - when the reloading shop received a pallet of them, once a year.  Now - he gets a brick here, a brick there - and pays individual HAZMAT fees for every shipment. 

It's not their fault, and I KNOW there are "price gaugers" out there - but they're not all doing that.  It just costs more for them to do business right now, because Panic... 

Edited by 98Z5V

I stocked up on mags after the Assault Weapons ban sunset and the only mags I've bought in several years now are mags for the 40 S&W and 38 Super 1911s I acquired recently. Rifle mags have been a non-issue for me for a long time now, even after my youngest got out of the Marines and I gave him a bunch of mags for his stuff.

I also stocked up on a bunch of reloading stuff after Sandy hook and have stayed on top of that up until the pandemic hit. I had everything here to reload pretty much all my stuff (still working on some of it) except for .223. If I wanted to load all my .223 brass I would have to take out a second mortgage on the house!

308 Mags are slow sellers in these parts.  Rural King put out one box of them (10 round) about 3 weeks ago and it's still about 3/4 full.

Magpul 30 round mags are back in stock as of yesterday.   I wonder how long they will last this time.

Ammo is also showing up, they had a big wooden box of 7.62 x 39 tracer behind the counter, $1239...yikes!

They also had some Wolf 7.62 x 39 for $9.99 for a box of $20, limit two per customer......

On 4/4/2021 at 12:23 PM, 392heminut said:

If I wanted to load all my .223 brass I would have to take out a second mortgage on the house!

in 2012 alone, I fired 13,000 rounds of 5.56.  Just that year, alone.  I have all that brass.  If I wanted to load it all up, I'd need 52lbs of powder...  

I have alot more 5.56 brass than that now - but that stuff from 2012 is in sealed bags, in two laundry baskets.  You can't pick them up - you have to empty them to move them - they're just in those things to keep them in one place. 

8 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You would need access to @Belt Fed's credit card to afford that much powder.  Lol

Right now, I just need to find a place that can give me that much powder.  I need to contact Hodgdon direct...  

Does any vendor sell powder in 55 gal drums?...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

7 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

We'll have to get some of the fancy automatic Dillon presses for the bunker. I've got 5 gallon buckets full of brass (556 & 762). :laffs:

I'm thinking 3 or 4 Dillon 650s to start, then a couple Dillon 750s to round it all out.

Or, we automate a fleet of Hornady Ammo Plant press setups.  Or, we do all that.  Because nobody likes a quitter.