Jump to content
308AR.com Community
  • Visit Aero Precision
  • Visit Brownells
  • Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 value OPINION


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the new center piece of foam in from Cobra Foam today to redo the AR10T case. Seems like a better grade of foam than the stuff Pelican uses, though a little trickier to work with the 1st time. It's a little more dense & doesn't squash quite as easy, so I had to cut shapes out a little larger than I would using Pelicans foam. 

Turned out well. Total case weight is 40lb.

 

20220128_231442.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread made me a bit embarrassed about toting my new AR308 rifle (my old man, I swear this is my last gun project) around in a soft case I pilfered from a previous AR15 project.. So I went over to the Pelican site to look around.  Holy moly are those things expensive. $400 and up for case and foam.  I've been real particular that everything on my rifle is made in the USA, but I might end up going Chinese Harbor freight on a hard case at $165 - or just stick with my soft case and stay off planes.

Well - this is a thread on value...

BTW Pelican does have a pretty cool design your own foam feature where they will make the cut-outs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 7:02 AM, MtnMike said:

This thread made me a bit embarrassed about toting my new AR308 rifle (my old man, I swear this is my last gun project) around in a soft case I pilfered from a previous AR15 project.. So I went over to the Pelican site to look around.  Holy moly are those things expensive. $400 and up for case and foam.  I've been real particular that everything on my rifle is made in the USA, but I might end up going Chinese Harbor freight on a hard case at $165 - or just stick with my soft case and stay off planes.

Well - this is a thread on value...

BTW Pelican does have a pretty cool design your own foam feature where they will make the cut-outs

The Pelican Protector series are Made in the US. If you shop around, you should be able to get them in the $250 range. The Pelican Vault  series is about 1/2 that but assembled in Mexico. 

You can also find GREAT DEALS on used Pelican cases (Gunbroker etc.) & only have to buy new replacement foam inserts. My friend has found us Hell of deals from time to time of used Pelican Storm & Protector series cases. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MtnMike said:

I might end up going Chinese Harbor freight on a hard case at $165

In the grand scheme of things. When you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on weapons, it's not worth trying to save a couple bucks when it comes to commercially transporting them.

Not trying to compete @Lonewolf McQuade, cause he can work some magic with a hard case. But this is how I transported my stuff the last time I ventured out to Arizona.

All stacked and ready.........................

Trip.thumb.jpg.47c2e5a493ac2fcb50acfeed21448993.jpg

Interior details.

4 rifles, 3 optics, 8 mags, 4 suppressors and a sidearm w/spare mags.

Side note. The look on the TSA guy's face was hilarious.

Pelican.thumb.jpg.bce74823bcacfa1e36ef5c4fc21e31b5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, Rsquared said:

The look on the TSA guy's face was hilarious.

There's a TSA guy in Charlotte that's been pretty regularly the guy on duty when I was passing through.

He's taken to grinning at me as I come through and saying "So, what did we add to the inventory this trip?"....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, Rsquared said:

In the grand scheme of things. When you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on weapons, it's not worth trying to save a couple bucks when it comes to commercially transporting them.

Not trying to compete @Lonewolf McQuade, cause he can work some magic with a hard case. But this is how I transported my stuff the last time I ventured out to Arizona.

All stacked and ready.........................

Trip.thumb.jpg.47c2e5a493ac2fcb50acfeed21448993.jpg

Interior details.

4 rifles, 3 optics, 8 mags, 4 suppressors and a sidearm w/spare mags.

Side note. The look on the TSA guy's face was hilarious.

Pelican.thumb.jpg.bce74823bcacfa1e36ef5c4fc21e31b5.jpg

SWEET!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2022 at 2:30 PM, Rsquared said:

the grand scheme of things. When you spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on weapons, it's not worth trying to save a couple bucks when it comes to commercially transporting them.

THIS!!^^^^^

I don't even fly. Some gear permanently stays in cases to "grab & go" quick, also great protection when grabbing several firearms to go hunting various species.  Shlt gets bounced around in the truck,  especially off road. Got to protect investment tools👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys are making sense.  Thinking about my own behavior - I've always carried my traditional hunting rifles in hard case (admittedly cheap Flambeau cases), basically thinking to protect the scopes.  Guess I started toting black rifles (ar15s) in soft cases, treating them more like shotguns.  But my AR308 IS a hunting rifle and the scope on it approaches or exceeds the cost and capabilities of what I have on my bolt action rifles.  Time to give it due respect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Wondered if anyone had tried spraying Plastic Dip on their foam after cutting it out for their toys.  Saw a fellow's video that had did that to prevent the foam from abrading & degrading over time.  For about $5-6, for a spray can, I'm leaning towards trying it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, MtnMike said:

Wondered if anyone had tried spraying Plastic Dip on their foam after cutting it out for their toys.  Saw a fellow's video that had did that to prevent the foam from abrading & degrading over time.  For about $5-6, for a spray can, I'm leaning towards trying it.

 

I've never tried it. I would think it would take away from the softness/form fitting flexibility of the foam against your contents. I would assume it would be wise also to be cautious of other chemicals in the spray you intend to use. Some chemicals may not play nice with the foam compound causing possible damage or chewing it away. Just a thought.

 

Also,  I would think any moisture on your weapon & gear would stay on it because the plastic dip/spray would form a barrier, keep it from wicking away into the foam.

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 10:57 PM, jtallen83 said:

Brother you are always thinking, my problem now is I realize I was thinking like you......scary.

Hold on.......tryin to figure out how to take that.....

 

 

I know I'm fuked up. Are you just realizing that your fuked up too, or blaming me for bringing you DOWN to my fuked up level? 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...