• Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR10 value OPINION

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Thats Why I stay partially  behind the exhibit glass🤣

Cut loose, fuqr, we love you here.  Plus, I need to keep you on my good side, or you'll abuse your power and ban me on Full30...   :thefinger:

On 2/8/2022 at 2:21 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I've never tried it. I would think it would take away from the softness/form fitting flexibility of the foam against your contents. I would assume it would be wise also to be cautious of other chemicals in the spray you intend to use. Some chemicals may not play nice with the foam compound causing possible damage or chewing it away. Just a thought.

Also,  I would think any moisture on your weapon & gear would stay on it because the plastic dip/spray would form a barrier, keep it from wicking away into the foam.

You googled that shat didn't you?

Edited by Belt Fed

On 2/10/2022 at 5:08 PM, MtnMike said:

When I was looking at the Plano cases, I noticed they have a premium line with what they call "Rustrictor" that allegedly helps if your stuff goes in the case a bit damp.  Wonder what that might be.

Might work. 

Depends if the upcharge is worth it. If my case  has been outdoors, I always leave it open once home for 24 hours to air/dry out. Always wipe the firearms exterior off with a silicone rag & oil too. 

The guns stored full time in cases all have 2 large Silica gel bags in each of  them. I use the ones that are blue. When they turn pink, it's time to swap them out with fresh ones. 20-30 minutes in the oven  & they're good as new👍

22 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

How long on average do they last in cases for you? 

I don't store my firearms in the cases but use it for transport. The guns will some times spend a week in the case between trips. Depends on time of year but in rainny season probably around 4 months( case gets open/closed  often and usually open at the range.

22 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Gimme a link already...  

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrosorbent-OSG-40-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Chloride/dp/B0037Z8K3E/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AB2LSK1XA9G5&keywords=OSG-40+Silica+Gel+Dehumidifier+Desiccant+40+Gram&qid=1644558251&sprefix=osg-40+silica+gel+dehumidifier+desiccant+40+gram%2Caps%2C122&sr=8-3

7 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

How long on average do they last in cases for you? 

Had a good Plano case full of kit in my car for years,6-7 at least, all parts of the country, mountains to seashore. I kept three of those packs inside, baked them twice a year to refresh and never saw a spot of rust. Worked great for me.

• 4 weeks later...

65° & sunny here today. Finally got the RPR 308 & AR10 out to fine tune  the Arken's on them. Hella  fucking scopes for the $$!! Very impressed with them. 

Also realize I REALLY would like something on the AR10 (brake?)

After shooting the RPR with factory hybrid brake/comp,  it's like shooting a mild 5.56, almost NO recoil or muzzle rise & allows me to to stay right on target. That fucken Armalite jumps a bit making me have to reposition  after every shot. 

I may run it over to Small Arms/Shaw manufacturing & have them thread the barrel for me.

Which Arkens are you using?  I looked at those a bit, but shied away from them on my "hunting" AR308 due to weight.  I'm getting an inkling for another project and weight is less of a concern.

On 3/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

65° & sunny here today. Finally got the RPR 308 & AR10 out to fine tune  the Arken's on them. Hella  fucking scopes for the $$!! Very impressed with them. 

Also realize I REALLY would like something on the AR10 (brake?)

After shooting the RPR with factory hybrid brake/comp,  it's like shooting a mild 5.56, almost NO recoil or muzzle rise & allows me to to stay right on target. That fucken Armalite jumps a bit making me have to reposition  after every shot. 

I may run it over to Small Arms/Shaw manufacturing & have them thread the barrel for me.

On 3/8/2022 at 4:30 PM, MtnMike said:

Which Arkens are you using?  I looked at those a bit, but shied away from them on my "hunting" AR308 due to weight.  I'm getting an inkling for another project and weight is less of a concern.

Both mine are the SH4 GENII 6-24×50mm with illuminated Mil reticle.  The newest ep 5 is out now but about 2 months or so on backorder. Price tag is $100 more and it has a 56 mm objective which I did not want. The glass is supposed to be a little bit better being Japanese HD as opposed to Chinese HD glass. The ep 5 is $100 more price tag, worth it? Don't know. I do know that arken is jacking their prices up as of March 16th but they gave no details on how much more. Currently, you type in save 170 in the promo code box and you get the Rings or Mount, throw lever, scope covers, bubble level, shooting bag and sun shade free.  I paid $450 out the door for each of the Scopes with the combo packages

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

^^^   Those Arken 6~24 scopes (the SH ones in the model number) are pretty damn nice.  I've shot the MOA one on someone else's gun, and I was impressed with it.  Well, I mean, I felt dirty shooting an MOA scope, but the quality was there, and it's a damn good piece of kit.  :thumbup:

@Matt.Cross  :lmao: