• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

200 grain subsonic 7.62x51

shepp

On 11/20/2021 at 10:09 PM, blue109 said:

I love that ARAK

❤️❤️❤️

i do too, I haven’t seen much action with them when I’ve randomly checked faxon’s web site I home they do a run on them

although I’m also  curious about running 7.62x39 surpressed 

• 7 months later...

I bought a couple of hundred rounds of it a while back on a steep discount sale, still have +180 in the box. It loads in LR/SR PMAGs and Lancers no problem and works with manual cycling of the action. I haven't studied it very much, not even any kind of sight-in testing, just shot enough to see if it will run through the gun. It's NATO ball ammo, so not going to do much except pass straight through, probably no fragmentation or expansion. 300 is going to be better for a lot of reasons, and there's only one scenario where this might be better which is being able to snipe with your existing 308.

20220707_215201.thumb.jpg.45e4f27532741ecc5e72c66e604ad17e.jpg

20220708_130215.thumb.jpg.a187ba6277e162c3392c47951074923e.jpg

11 hours ago, Rsquared said:

What if we put a can on it? I wonder how that would work out?

What Jim said, above ^^^...   We ran some through @Matt.Cross' MA-TEN last fall.  They're amazing with a can, Hollywood quiet.  They don't cycle the action. Just a click of a trigger, and one serious thump on the targets.

4 hours ago, ehall said:

Has *anybody* been able to make this stuff cycle?

Who's got a trash barrel we can drill to .125, and a suppressor?

Better off running a bolt gun with a 16" heavy barrel and a can.  Then you don't have to worry about cycling.  Still Hollywood quiet.

• 1 year later...

While I was waiting for the Form 4 approval for my Aero Precision can - Lahar 3- - I saw the 7.62x51 Subsonic 200 Grain FMJ Sellier Bellot Ammo on a certain website.  I stopped reading at "subsonic".  After looking at this thread, I went back and learned another lesson about reading the fine print: "Subsonic 7.62x51 ammo will not cycle semi-auto rifles due to the required pressure reduction to slow the velocity to subsonic speeds"   In truth it wasn't fine print...it was bold....I just didn't look far enough. 

So now that I have the can for the S&W AR-10 [M&P Sport] - I can look forward to having a "straight pull bold action rifle"  🙂   I'm kind of glad I just bought 140 rounds. 

Or maybe I can just add a 7.62 x 51 bolt rifle to the collection.  🙂

2 hours ago, KSdefender said:

Or maybe I can just add a 7.62 x 51 bolt rifle to the collection.  🙂

If they stay truly subsonic, a bolt 7.62 X 51 is the way to have fun with them.  If they would be comparable to my 300 BLK bolt with subs it would be airsoft gun quiet or quieter.  Your AR might be too without the action slamming back and forth on each shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Good feedback.  Now I'm leaning towards buying a new rifle to use up $140 worth of sub rounds.  🙂  I can get a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 7.62 for $540.  [not counting all of the @#$% transfer fees.  Local FFL's make sure that anything you order in is no longer a bargain. 😉

8 hours ago, KSdefender said:

Local FFL's make sure that anything you order in is no longer a bargain

I'm so thankful that I have a friend who owns a gun store.  He charges $40 for a transfer regardless of how many guns.  He would not charge me if I let him, but I won't let him.