• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

This is a long shot

shepp

On 9/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, blue109 said:

I mean...they spent 4 hours lobbing rounds at a 10' wide piece of steel and couldn't repeat it. Not really sure that's much of an accomplishment. I'm much more impressed watching Matty and Tom and matt cross make repeated hits on a 18" target at 1 mile. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once and awhile 

53 minutes ago, shepp said:

Yeah, but there is this.   Quoting the article:  The target’s dimensions (120 inches by 92 inches) made it 1.54 MOA wide and 1.18 MOA tall at 4.4 miles.

If that rifle is 2 or 3 MOA at that distance, how many misses would that end up being?

Plenty of Fudds in the woods every fall happy with "bottom of ice cream bucket" accuracy from their deer rifles.

On 9/21/2022 at 7:07 AM, blue109 said:

I mean...they spent 4 hours lobbing rounds at a 10' wide piece of steel and couldn't repeat it. Not really sure that's much of an accomplishment. I'm much more impressed watching Matty and Tom and matt cross make repeated hits on a 18" target at 1 mile. 

On 9/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, shepp said:

However, I'll say this...   How many of those guys have cold-bored that shot?...   :popcorn:  Got-dayum near dead-center, too...   :banana:

That new record shot is 4.4 miles.  Unreal.  No matter how many times they had to shoot at it to get it - their "spotters" were all out there in bunkers, near the target, and called misses by hearing where it hit, and triangulating where it probably hit - they have BIGASS BRASS BALLS!!!  

7,744-yard shot means there was ALOT of Nerd-Magic involved, just to even get close.  Its impressive. 

I wanna stretch the mile shot this year, and put another one out there at 2.000 yards.  Same ol' IPSC plate, nothing special.  But 2k. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I wanna stretch the mile shot this year, and put another one out there at 2.000 yards.  Same ol' IPSC plate, nothing special.  But 2k. 

I've already checked my dope.  I can dial 2k yds without hold overs.  Now we just need to find the location...  From camp, if possible.

10 hours ago, JBMatt said:

I've already checked my dope.  I can dial 2k yds without hold overs.  Now we just need to find the location...  From camp, if possible.

I think the south side of that same ridge, we can get another 240 yards from the one we put out now.  We'll need your onX hunting app when we place that 850, and I think we can pull this off.  Still got the camp and 850 plots in there, saved?