• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What's your weather like today or the past few days?

BrianK

Typical March weather... We've had warmish temps and melting, so yeah, what better time for double digit snow in the forecast? The ground is partially thawed  and I have no idea if the gent removing the snow from my driveway can manage that without putting the gravel on my lawn. But we no longer have the old truck and the new one is still a request on paper. We could be screwed. Fingers crossed that it goes out to sea so that the fish can enjoy it.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Maine spring weather, yeah, I know it's not spring yet, but tell Maine that. It's been in the 40s and things have been melting. Yesterday I let the chickens and guinea fowl out, the first time in months. Last night it went below freezing, the night before it stayed above freezing all night. I thought I woke up to fog today, but it was a flurry and there was a dusting on the ground. Where the sun touches it's all melted 'cause the sun has quite a bit of heat in it now, but the outside temp' is only in the low 30s. It's forecast to be in the 40s for the rest of the week, so more melting will happen.

After a normal winter, and this winter was NOT normal, we have places where the ground is frozen solid and the melt water makes puddles until the ground thaws and the melt can soak in. Those areas haven't had the typical puddles this year and the melt is soaking in immediately. That's different. It was also pretty easy on our heating bill all winter. "They" are predicting MANY more ticks this year due to the mild winter. Nothing we can do but wait and see.

Fingers crossed that we get an early spring. I have lots to do, tear down a rotten chicken coop, build a pole barn, work up a few cord of firewood, load a mess of ammo, and cast a few k 9mm and 300BLK bullets. I'll be busy.

Finally dried up for a minute, and now I’ve been driven back into the house by rain. Supposed to be wet for a few days. It’s really screwing up my schedule on finishing the wife’s chicken palace. I have 16 chickens in my living room now. Half a couple weeks old, half probably 5-6 weeks. I need these birds out of the house. 

D4DF4E6E-6B38-4956-ADC0-34C10BE810D6.jpeg

A3C7BC28-63AC-47AD-9AA6-E8CB0AB81F76.jpeg

On 3/1/2023 at 7:57 AM, DNP said:

Our next week is scheduled to be just that Magwa, 40-30. Crazy we’d be matched up with northern Idaho right now. I might be heading up to Coeur d'Alene at the end of June. 

Hey I am just a couple pf hours away if you have extra time come for a visit I will feed you a salmon dinner/...

Nice chicken coop! I need to tear down our hens retirement home, make soup, build a new coop, and get new layers. I think this time I'll get 2 breeds and 2 coops. Good layers, and Jersey Giants for their meat. There's nothing like a slow growing heritage bird for chicken flavor that's off the scale, and real dark meat.

We've always started our birds indoors so that the dogs can see that they're part of the family. But DNP, they've got to be putting lots of chicken dust into the air at that size. Yeah, time to go outside. 

We got some snow the other day, just enough to remind us the winter was still here. But then it went into the 40s and will be there during the day for the rest of the week and might not go below freezing at night, but it'll be close.

46 minutes ago, Magwa said:

Hey I am just a couple pf hours away if you have extra time come for a visit I will feed you a salmon dinner/...

We’re still figuring out how to make that trip work, but I will absolutely check in if we head up there. Wanted to go with just the wife, but don’t have anywhere to take the kids for 5-6 days. We were planning to go to a homesteading conference and the kids would be tough to have around for everything - especially the butchering classes. 

9 minutes ago, BrianK said:

Nice chicken coop! I need to tear down our hens retirement home, make soup, build a new coop, and get new layers. I think this time I'll get 2 breeds and 2 coops. Good layers, and Jersey Giants for their meat. There's nothing like a slow growing heritage bird for chicken flavor that's off the scale, and real dark meat.

We've always started our birds indoors so that the dogs can see that they're part of the family. But DNP, they've got to be putting lots of chicken dust into the air at that size. Yeah, time to go outside. 

We got some snow the other day, just enough to remind us the winter was still here. But then it went into the 40s and will be there during the day for the rest of the week and might not go below freezing at night, but it'll be close.

It’s a little like living in a barn right now between 3 boys and 16 chickens.  I think I’m still 2 weeks out. Pray for me. 

11 hours ago, DNP said:

Wanted to go with just the wife, but don’t have anywhere to take the kids for 5-6 days.

Head a little east, first, and pick me.  Uncle Tom got this one.  :thumbup:  Drop those boys here.  They'll be qualified on an Appleseed Target by the time you two get back into town. 

They might be a little different when you get them back, but I guarantee they'll be FUNNY AF!!!   :banana:

On 3/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, DNP said:

A3C7BC28-63AC-47AD-9AA6-E8CB0AB81F76.jpeg

Don't let the smile fool you he's training an army of attack chickens.

54 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

They might be a little different when you get them back, but I guarantee they'll be FUNNY AF!!!   :banana:

I'm sure sending them home each with a care package of choclate covered esspresso beans will be greatly appreciated :lmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Ice storm tonight, rain and in the 20s, maybe 1/8" covering everything. I hope those who need to drive kept their snow and ice tires on their vehicles. I have really great S&I tires on, but unless it's an emergency I'm not going out. Tomorrow it could be in the 60's.

I'll get up 0610ish and I expect to be greeted by a world of "crystal" unless the warm up begins sooner. That's unlikely but it's happened before with a change in the airmass. At this time, 2314, everything is coated, I just checked.

Hadn’t rained in about a week. Enjoying the change. One of the flatlanders that moved up here was complaining about water pouring out of the mountainside and ponding on the road today. I’m glad I’m not on Facebook. My wife spotted it. They want to know who is going to fix it…the homeowner or the county. Seriously?  It’s a spring dumbass…it’ll stop when the mountain runs out of water. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:07 AM, Magwa said:

We bought our tickets and we’re setting up hotels. We’ll have to chat:thumbup:

14 hours ago, DNP said:

They want to know who is going to fix it…the homeowner or the county. Seriously?  It’s a spring dumbass…it’ll stop when the mountain runs out of water. 

Too funny! We get them coming to our AO from the city, or what passes for a city in Maine. We had one 2 years ago who was able to get a burn permit on an incredibly windy day, so the jackass thought it was OK to burn. This in late summer/early autumn, our dry time of the year. When the other long time residents saw the smoke they called the fire dept' to put it out. Jackass could have started a forest fire! That time of the year and with the high winds it's a wonder he didn't. We all live in the forest since that's what Maine is, and houses would have burned with the forest. Money enough to buy land, but nothing between the ears. 

Yeah. Burn permits confuse a lot of folks both ways. Either they don’t understand that you can get them, and that you’re allowed (under certain circumstances) to burn piles, or in your case that they can’t always burn, just because they have a permit. I didn’t apply for one this year because last year there were few days I could actually burn, and we’ve now had months of perfect weather for it. Bummer. 

On 3/19/2023 at 7:30 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I was at family land north of Abilene over the weekend.  I was out this morning at 8:30.  It was in the low 30s and sunny.

IMG_20230319_085955.thumb.jpg.8938a869f37c3ead94b9d30dc01e2a61.jpg

All in all, it was a good morning.

It looks cold, Doc - your hand is a blue as the sky backdrop...   :lmao:

Yesterday in the high 50s, same for today. But the forecast is an even bigger warmup. Typical Maine in the spring, we go from cold/chilly to summer weather with no time to acclimate. We can still get below freezing temps too. It's not uncommon to get more snow, but it won't stay around long. None in the forecast though.