• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

No battery required

GStephen

1 hour ago, Rsquared said:

Same here. Haven't used one of those since high school Shop/Engineering class back in the early 80's.

You were the first person I thought of when I saw that. I thought “damn, R2 would have been stoked to have that kind of technology when he was in school!  They were still using piles of rocks and sticks to do math.”

On 3/8/2023 at 9:52 PM, DNP said:

You were the first person I thought of when I saw that. I thought “damn, R2 would have been stoked to have that kind of technology when he was in school!  They were still using piles of rocks and sticks to do math.”

Rocks and sticks were "cutting edge" in his day, pardon the expression...

On 3/8/2023 at 11:52 PM, DNP said:

On 3/9/2023 at 10:39 AM, Matt.Cross said:

Rocks and sticks were "cutting edge" in his day, pardon the expression...

Fukin comedians. :thefinger:

Just for the record, they could do lots more than multiplication and division if one knew how to use one. My top speed was multiplication and division though from what I remember. Today not even that. But I ought to pull one out and relearn it since biteme and his buddies appear to want to drive us back into the stone age. 

On 3/11/2023 at 10:20 PM, BrianK said:

Just for the record, they could do lots more than multiplication and division if one knew how to use one. My top speed was multiplication and division though from what I remember. Today not even that. But I ought to pull one out and relearn it since biteme and his buddies appear to want to drive us back into the stone age. 

You should print out the tables of Sine, Cosine and Tangents as well.  That can get you a little closer to the full nerd magic that you can perform with a slide rule.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:20 PM, BrianK said:

….But I ought to pull one out and relearn it since biteme and his buddies appear to want to drive us back into the stone age. 

No no….they’re all about batteries and electricity.  As long as we’re Fukin up the planet in a completely different way, it’s OK. 

Yeah, amazing. To do what biteme wants there isn't enough copper on the planet if all of it was mined to wire up all of the PV panels and wind turbines required (edit: so I read). Of course that would change if we had a mass die off of people. But that's a different subject. 

Edited by BrianK

On 3/11/2023 at 2:52 PM, shepp said:

Here I am today thinking I feel like an old man, but I don’t even know what the fornicate that is?!?

Yep. We actually used slide rules in high school. AND, we'd also use architectural triangular scale rulers for drafting/blueprints in shop class.

On 3/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, unforgiven said:

We had to layout sheet metal fittings on paper. I had some clean drawings.

I’ve done that for building reducers

On 3/14/2023 at 2:46 PM, Rsquared said:

AND, we'd also use architectural triangular scale rulers for drafting/blueprints in shop class.

Now that I’ve  done! Actually when I was working install I always had one in my van 

On 3/14/2023 at 8:45 PM, unforgiven said:

One of the unique things about Sheet metal is the ability to create a sphere out of a flat sheet of metal. Back in the day I would climb on the table with tramale points and layout large fittings. Different square to rounds and goose necks. Before plasma cutter. 

That I never learned all that stuff was premade, but also I was working resi