• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

QD Scope Mount Debate

moagm316

There seems to be a ton of debate on which scope mount is better.

Larue

GG&G

ADM

I would like to put this to bed in my mind once and for all.

Larue QD Scope mount $200 Never on sale

GG&G $200 or 175 on sale

ADM I have found for $175 or much less through a connection.

My primary concern is Return to Zero and weight. The difference in price of these three manufacturers does not make much difference to me. This is for an AR15 3-9x40 scope.

For my ultra long range scope I will go with the Larue all the way, but if I can get away with a lower priced mount I would like to.

Thoughts.

IMO, ADM is hard to beat in the price:value ratio. I've used their Recon X one piece mount with QDs and it's been nothing but good. Reliable RTZ and the QD levers are easily adjustable for tension. Nothing wrong with the other two, mind you, you would have a quality mount regardless of what you chose. One you didn't mention is Bobro, they make a quality mount as well.

Never owned the ADM but for me Bobro's QD design whether on a scope mount or bipod takes the crown. the scope mounts while not as clean looking as Larue they do have the benefit of hidden screws with socket head cap screw nuts.  The way it attaches and locates on the picatinney is vey well executed to. Brilliant design all around imho.

bobro hands down  <thumbsup>

i had a chance to compare BOBRO from ADM while i was at rainier arms a week ago.

Bobro is just pure rock solid mount with no loose parts! it has a true QD design with it's single clamp feature. I was sold to bobro after feeling both mounts. Worth spending the extra $40!

When you see the big difference between Bobro's clamp and ADM's clamp design, you'll know...  ;D

When you see the big difference between Bobro's clamp and ADM's clamp design, you'll know...  ;D

I posted a pretty detailed Bobro mount review not long ago.  Should be in the "scopes, mounts" section.  Pics in there, too.  <thumbsup>

I wont turn this into a "What's better"debate. Any mount that gets the job done without damaging the optic and is repeatable is sufficient.

The bobro does not function like any other mount that I am aware of.  It self centers in the picatinney, it does not need to bite into the picatinney and therefore does not deform or damage the rail or finish. The screws are not visible and are protected by the rings. It's just one of those things that isnt obvious until you get to fondle one.

Ill make a page on it tomorrow

I'd love a Bobro, but the scope I'm looking at has a 35mm tube. ARMS and GG&G only go upto 30mm... I called Larue and told them what scope I wanted, they gave me the product number immediately.

Do you think I can get a special order Bobro?

Sure it's not 34mm

http://swfa.com/Bobro-Precision-Optic-34mm-Mount-P51893.aspx

I updated Toms post to a page with my own images.

No denying I have become a Larue fanboy.  Larue QD mounts maintain zero between removals.  But there is not way I would waste my money on ARMS, piece of crap mounts.

Have you looked into the A.R.M.S. detachable rings ? Are the LaRue or the others any better than these? I know that sometimes price is a factor, but at about $85.00 less is there a huge quality difference?

Have you looked into the A.R.M.S. detachable rings ? Are the LaRue or the others any better than these? I know that sometimes price is a factor, but at about $85.00 less is there a huge quality difference?

The short answer is yes, there's a HUGE difference. The build quality of a LaRue, ADM et al, is substantially better than a comparable ARMS mount. When I lock down a QD lever on a LaRue mount, I know it's going to stay locked and not walk itself loose like an ARMS mount. I know the screw threads aren't going to strip out the first time I tighten a screw in it. I know the QD lever will actually lock down to hold the (in my case) RDS in place.

My experiences are a data point of one. But if you take a look at some other forums, I am not alone in my experiences with ARMS products.

I'm the first to give credit where credit is due, and if it weren't for ARMS and some other companies that stayed in business providing aftermarket parts during The Ban, we wouldn't be having this debate over different mounts. But right now, there are too many better options out there.

You REALLY want to know what the best QD mount, or otherwise, is on the market? It's none that have been mentioned and it's the GDI Precision P-ROM L-model. I'll be placing an order for one within the next week.

Is $500 a crazy amount of money to pay for a mount? For some it is but knowing it's battle tested and approved, returns to zero no matter how many times you remove /re-attach it, and it's constructed of solid stainless steel makes the price justifiable, at least for some of us.

There is no other mount like it on the market – period.

As with anything, you get what you pay for; buy once, cry once.

http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/products.html

promfirstrun_20.jpg

I wont turn this into a "What's better"debate. Any mount that gets the job done without damaging the optic and is repeatable is sufficient.

No disrespect intended, but that's exactly what this has turned into.

No denying I have become a Larue fanboy.  Larue QD mounts maintain zero between removals.  But there is not way I would waste my money on ARMS, piece of crap mounts.

Thanks for your opinion, but calling a product a "piece of crap" means very little to me. Why not just tell the advantages and disadvantages of each mount. I'm sure not all of us are as educated as you about mounts. BTW, all of my bolt rifles utilize Bausch & Lomb scopes with Kuharsky bases and are probably more repeatable than some of the more expensive mounts on the market today, and still, after more than 35 years will give sub MOA groups out to 200 yards and better, although they are "old technology".

The short answer is yes, there's a HUGE difference. The build quality of a LaRue, ADM et al, is substantially better than a comparable ARMS mount. When I lock down a QD lever on a LaRue mount, I know it's going to stay locked and not walk itself loose like an ARMS mount. I know the screw threads aren't going to strip out the first time I tighten a screw in it. I know the QD lever will actually lock down to hold the (in my case) RDS in place.

My experiences are a data point of one. But if you take a look at some other forums, I am not alone in my experiences with ARMS products.

I'm the first to give credit where credit is due, and if it weren't for ARMS and some other companies that stayed in business providing aftermarket parts during The Ban, we wouldn't be having this debate over different mounts. But right now, there are too many better options out there.

Excellent answer and true to the point. Thank you for pointing this out to me. I'm sure there are differences in mounts, as there is any product on the market and it is my hope to learn these differences from the information I gather on this and other forums.

Thank you....

While I am sure Larue's mounts are quality, I can't stand the arrogance of the owner or the mentality of his supporters. Therefore I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

GG&G makes excellent products and I own quite a few of them and recommend them often. I have never owned one of their scope mounts, however their eotech mounts are the best thing out there and I have owned several, I am sure their scope mounts are just as good. Their customer service is excellent if you ever have to use it. They do charge a high price for shipping though, and use that to make their prices look lower.

My first scope mount decision came down to ADM or Bobro. I chose ADM over Bobro strictly based on customer service. The owner of ADM answered any and all of my questions immediately, was friendly, helpful, and made sure that I was going to be satisfied with my purchase. I was, and now look nowhere else for any optic mount. Another bonus of the ADM platform is the ability to swap the scope ring sizes as well, allowing the flexibility of using one mount for any size scope.

While I am sure I would have been just as satisfied with a Bobro or GG&G mount, the ADM mounts accomplish what I need, while also supporting a business that treated me well as a customer. Until an ADM mount fails me or the company stops standing behind their product, I will continue to praise their company and products and use them whenever possible. I currently own multiple mounts, and have bought several more for others as well.

It's always interesting to hear individuals responses that are 180 degrees of my own personal experience. I have nothing but great dealings with the Larue staff whether on the phone or via email. They were even very helpful to my old lady trying to buy me a gift when she didnt know what I had LOL.

I have never dealt with Larue outside of their site.

BOBRO, floored me with his service. About a year ago Andrew Bobro emailed me that he had an extra bipod and recalled I had contacted him at some point with interest in obtaining one. I thought someone was messing with me.

Lastly I  have even had nothing but good luck from either of the Botach sites  ;D