• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First time shooting, FTF all day.

Powerman

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at your bolt pics make me wonder if you didnt run it wet enough. for beak in it needs to be dripping. and add more oil as you shoot. get it sloppy wet with some mobil 1 and try again.

This was the problem with my ar15 also, my 308 came wet so I didn't even this of it with the 556. Took it shooting and it was a hand full no cycle jam up and so on. Tried lubeing it on sight, wasn't till it got a good bath of Mobil 1 till she wanted to eat.

Idk much but that leakage around you gas block seems odd tho too

So I read that you need to run it wet breaking it in. I also read where you put grease and oil. So I oiled it up with Mil pro 7. I felt it was "wet", but I do not know exactly what that means. Fingers, good coat. Not exactly dripping. Oiled the rings through the hole with a couple drops and worked it. Grease on the rails, key, handle, back of bolt. I wiped off dirt, but felt there was enough grease left. With it so windy, I did not want to continue with everything blowing around.

I did not think to oil as I shot even with the problems. I felt the rings had good oil, but after 60 rnds.... they were bone dry taking them out.

It was so windy, I never could tell about leakage around the gas block. Can't say if that is normal... but I would also think that if there was tiny clearances... that those would get sealed up with time, instead of get worse as my shooting did. Maybe it contributed.

Every one says use Moble 1 syn.... What weight?

So... the wife was pissed when I told her I was going back to the range... so not much time.  :D

I used some 10w-30 to coat every thing. Lubed it all up good. Got a FTF at the end of my first mag. Lubed everything again. Much nicer out, no wind. Ran another 60 rds... got about 3 FTF... squirted lube in the rings, dumped it all over the BCG, cycled it.

So I will say obviously I did not have enough lube. It is still dripping now. However... there is still gas fouling coming out of the block on the tube. Fouling the barrel and FF tube. There is oil coming out of the front of the block... but I think that would happen if he used oil and it works it's way out. My barrel actually got warm today. Faster shooting and no wind.

I asked a observer to keep an eye on my gas block, but he said he did not notice any gas coming out.

No pics now... gotta do some honey dooos.  ;D

Should have already sealed, by now.  It's definitely less than a hundred rounds, if everything is right with the parts.

In one of your pics, I noticed carbon out the front of the gasblock - never seen that before.  Only at the gas tube, where it exits the gasblock.  I've built a handful of these things, and I'm just basing it from my own builds. 

I apologize for the crappy pics... my regular camera decided to take a dump too.

IMAG0045_zps4349a418.jpg

Looking at this pic here I can't help but think that the gas block is to far back toward the receiver. You have it butted up the lip on the barrel where the retainer for the glacier guard hand guard  retainer would go. On mine there is a small gap between the lip on the barrel and the gas block.

This is a pic of my gas block and hand guard and retainer before I put a free float tube on it.

http://308ar.com/forum/general-discussion/picked-up-an-pri-adjustable-gas-block-today/?action=dlattach;attach=5370;image

So I have read about the gap before. At least reading it it says that it won't harm anything because the port in the gas block is bigger than the barrel. Fulton didn't say anything on their barrels, and it is a DPMS gas block.

And I can't exactly remember, but I am pretty sure there were no dimples in the barrel for the gas block set screws to go into.

So... I can move the gas block down a bit... but even still, that is "just in case" to protect the gas key right? I mean it isn't like it's covering the port and causing my rifle to be under gassed right?

As far as the gas tube... well it's a bas tube and a block. Can you think of any reason it would be leaking.

If I have to I will take it all apart.

and it is a DPMS gas block.

I'd start right there.  Shitcan that DPMS gas block and get something else.  No kidding. 

Precision Reflex, Inc (PRI) currently has all their gas blocks, minus one, in stock.  Prices are normal, too.  I can guarantee you (and so can they) that the gas block you receive will be perfection. 

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Control_Brake_pr-4274.aspx?CAT=4274

As Tom mentioned the gas block should seal. However the abundance of oil in the chamber may be preventing that from occurring because it's now working its way through the gas block.  I would pop the block off. Clean everything and start over

So I do not notice anything from the rear. It's just at the tube. I do not think much is coming from the front... other than some oil seepage. Like I said, yesterday was cold, today was warm.

How tight should the block be... cause when I went to just fit it, it was pretty tight? So I assume you are saying beat it on with no oil?

I'd start right there.  Shitcan that DPMS gas block and get something else.  No kidding. 

Precision Reflex, Inc (PRI) currently has all their gas blocks, minus one, in stock.  Prices are normal, too.  I can guarantee you (and so can they) that the gas block you receive will be perfection. 

http://www.precisionreflex.com/Control_Brake_pr-4274.aspx?CAT=4274

How can you mess up a gas block? It's just a block with a couple holes?

O.K.... new development.

So... what happens when you do not leave enough room for the gas tube... a gap between block and barrel shoulder? Even if you damage the tube, I assume it would not go into batter right... the BCG could not go forward enough?

I am taking some pics of my stuff o post... and now my block has a gap... and no, it most certainly was not before.

The screws were relatively tight. I checked them because the gun smith said to re-tighten after the barrel warmed up.

While there still seems to be some fouling at the gas tube, it is less than yesterday once I got the FF tube off. Pics to follow.

So I do not notice anything from the rear. It's just at the tube. I do not think much is coming from the front... other than some oil seepage. Like I said, yesterday was cold, today was warm.

You shouldn't have anything coming out of that block, except a little bit of carbon around the gas tube exit, when you initially fire it.  If you have oil coming out of the front, gas is pushing it out.

That hole that's bored right down the middle of that gas block isn't "round," in my opinion.  I don't have it in my hand to look at and play with, so I can't be certain, but that's the only thing I can come up with.

If it was too large of a hole, it wouldn't have been tough to put on.  If it's not round, it can be tough to get on, but it's not going to seal.  Just like what's going on here with yours. 

That thing was made on a Friday, assembly line-style... 

Gas tube looks the same today. Block moved, more oil. Set screws are tight, that is as fas as they go in. If I take the block off, I will probably drill dimples.

IMAG0060_zpseb7576fe.jpg

[img width=810 height=456]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMAG0059_zps24e69016.jpg

[img width=810 height=456]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMAG0058_zps35dadb7f.jpg

[img width=810 height=456]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMAG0055_zps6453b6f3.jpg

So it was lubed up a bit more.  :D

[img width=810 height=456]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMAG0053_zpsb9522f9e.jpg

[img width=810 height=456]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/free2801/IMAG0051_zps02024117.jpg

Don't waste your time drilling dimples, man.  If you take that block off, throw it away.  In the pic below, you see that stuff coming out of the block at the front?  On the barrel?  That shouldn't be there, at all.  It won't matter how much you tighten that block, it's not sealing against the barrel.

IMAG0055_zps6453b6f3.jpg