• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Local Gun Shops That Stand Out - Good to Go

imschur

Gun Etc my local GS moved over the weekend to its new location south of Guadlupe on Alma School Rd. Bigger better shop. Always has a large selection of Pistols and Revolvers along with very large selection of accessories. Prices are at MSRP. But they have the item the other shops don't.

I have purchased 3 handguns and an AR from them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pistol Parlor is my other go to LGS ,they moved to ther new location last year after being in their original location for a decade plus. They have the best selection of reloading supplies in the East Valley. Also have a very good supply of hand guns and rifles. Great accessories and the tiny must have parts that you just broke or lost !

Southern and Gilbert on SE corner in Mesa ,AZ

Prices are good , Not inflated !

Edited by Dane Armory

Hey guys sorry I have been working like crazy, that is the life of a service technician in the natural gas industry.

I am actually going over there today I will run it by them and hopefully sneak some photos if they will let me.

I can place what little non existing reputation I have on it that these guys are the real deal, they have been working had to incorporate feedback from everyone and come up with something new design wise, I don't think they plan on redesigning the mousetrap,  plus these guys have an absolute fortune wrapped up in equipment that I think is primarily used to make something for the government and defense agency's, don't quote me though I don't ask many questions about that stuff I primarily stick to the gun stuff.  I almost did not post anything about them because I did not want to seem like a troll that was promoting his buddy's plus I did not want to disrespect any vendors on the site. 

@pewpew.308

I was wondering what happened to Salt Works Rifles - looks like the thread on calguns has all the info from them deleted? Did they run into marketing difficulties?

I noticed they didn't seem to get their website going either? perhaps contracts with Military/LEO or some kind of NDA got in the way of the civilian market.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs laser engraving on their firearms, I highly recommend Ident Marking Services in Rockwall, TX.  The guys there are really friendly and they do great work.  As a bonus, they are heavy into the night vision stuff.  They are really knowledgeable and and can hook you up with some good deals. I took my SBR lower there to get the NFA engraving.  When I picked up, Jason and I spent 30 minutes talking about night vision scopes and  hunting pigs at night.

• 1 month later...

Stillwater Armory is our local shop and they are top notch. They only opened a couple of years ago, but they have grown like crazy and have become a great asset to the gun community in our area. They keep a large inventory of all kinds of gear and ammo, and the staff are all shooters who train with their gear regularly so they know what they're talking about. We're a smaller town but Stillwater Armory rivals any big city gun store and keeps that a small town feel. Great folks there!

• 6 months later...

Okay, I'll bite.  Last Tuesday I had some extra time and I stopped in to visit with everyone at the Yellow Rose in Altus Oklahoma.  It's an indoor range and gun sales.  Something caught my eye as I walked in the door and looked at the rifle rack.  There was a Windham Hunter .308 AR with a Nutmeg wood Laminate stock on it.   Man it got my attention with the wood and the gold anodised upper and lower.  I'm a .308 fan I guess since I own 4 of them and decided I need the Windham in one of my vaults.  We've been helping my daughter and son in law since they gave us our first grandchild and ended up with mega hospital bills so money has been a bit tight.  At the time I had a FNAR that I picked up a couple of years ago while just thinking I couldn't live without it.  However the 1.5 MOA accuracy and trigger never made me very happy.  I've got an Armalite AR-10T W/24" barrel that was built in 1998 and still shoots great.  It's got a Springfield Generation III .308 scope on it that I'm quite happy with.  So one Wednesday I took the FNAR down to see about trading or putting it up for consignment.  Of course they couldn't realistically give me what I wanted for it so consignment it was. 3 hours later Jerry called me saying it sold for what I was asking.  We had already worked out a deal for the Windham for $1240 out the door.  Thursday I dropped by and filled out the paperwork and Jerry knocked a bunch off what he quoted me making me extra happy.  (He is building a longer outdoor range at his son's country house and would like to borrow my bulldozer)  I had already told him no problem as soon as I get it back from getting the cylinders rebuilt and hoses replaced.  Anyway Thursday evening I swapped out the charging handle latch for one that would fit better under a Burris XTR 3-12X50 Scope I was putting on the Windham Hunter.  I also installed a 1.5 lb pull Jard trigger on it and the Browning Latigo type nylon sling.  Friday after getting done with a termite job that my son in law helped me with I shot a 4 shot 5/8" group and then pulled the 5th shot down a little to make it a 1" group.  I'm officially happy with this rifle and believe I'm going to turn it into my deer rifle and hog hammer. I must say the Yellow Rose treated me quite well.  Kind of on the same subject about me loaning him our dozer, he has a front in loader on a 4 wheel drive John Deer tractor that he brought over with several used tractor tires to replace the shot out ones in my pasture.  My 50 BMG is kind of tough on them and filling them with concrete chunks and dirt by hand is a pain in the back.  So loaning him the dozer was always in the plan.  It's nice to have a good back stop at 100 yards that I can shoot from my front porch.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congratulations to Brian, owner of Sports Hollow in Ashland WI. He won the world long distance shooting championships at Camp Perry this year! Two years ago he won the Palma Cup. Runs a heckuva GS as well.

http://gallery.finestmomentsphoto.com/campperry2015/p/MjQ5NjMwNTUz-MTA1MDc5MjI1Mg/

• 3 months later...

For more tactical stuff Mandan Sporting Goods.  Prices can tend to be on high side, but there are good availabilities of examples for rifles, ammo, barrel mufflers, magazines....you get the point.

And Double HD Guns in Bismarck, they work to to deliver the best deals they can. They are a a bit more conventional in firearms selection, but goods deals deals and deals and good people.

• 3 months later...

Not local but an online store that has great customer service.  I recently ordered a raw 308 upper and 80% lower pair and a 308 Jig from Daytona Tactical.  I received a shipment within 5 days, but it was only the raw upper and 80% lower (great looking pair by the way), and the jig was missing.  I emailed them immediately and received a shipping notice the following morning and received the jig three days later.  Outstanding customer service and from what I can see of the receiver set and jig, excellent products as well at very competitive prices.  As I go through the process of turning the lower into a firearm I will keep a picture history and post it when the build is finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Brandon Johnson at Johnson Gun Works in Brownwood Texas is a class III dealer that will do you a top notch deal on any firearm of your choice at  a good price. He also does Cerocoat.  He has recently expanded his shop.

His webpage and online catalog is:     www.johnsonsgunworks.com

I do business with several outstanding Brick and mortar gunshops:  First and foremost, The guys at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont, Colorado are an Awesome bunch of great gun guys. They are humble and knowledgeable. They sell First Rate parts of a very wide variety. They are shooters and they not only have a great retail store, but they also have a nice indoor range and training opportunities. And Patrick Jones, the Gunsmith (gun magician) is as nice a guy as you'll meet and he builds one of the Best rifles you'll ever handle.

You should also take a look at Ark Tactical in Lakewood, Colorado. Noah, Roger and the guys are always helpful. They have a nice variety of guns and ancillary equipment. They also have a gunsmith on site.

Finally, Bower Tactical has everything for the discerning AR shooter. They have an extensive collection of parts to upgrade every component on your gun. Also, they have a tremendous amount of ancillary equipment. 

Not a heavily AR shop, but Scotties Guns and Miliataria in Denver has the most eclectic variety of guns or any small shop in the city. Steve, the manager is a former Marine and current good guy as well. You can find classic guns, AR's and a host of other items to include lever actions and Mausers of all varieties. Steve also does CWP classes.

Just my $/02! Hope it helps someone here. Each of these guys also does transfers.

• 1 month later...

Spar Firearms in Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania. The owner, the gunsmith, the office staff and sales are all well infirmed about the products they sell and the inventory they carry is abundant with many firearms of many different styles to meet every need. Not just one or two lines of product but several "stock" weapons and also "custom builds" hanging on the wall....all my needs are in stock at all times.

• 5 months later...

For all your firearms needs near Bristol, TN look up Cover Your Six Customs, coveryour6customs@gmail.com.

Jason is an artist with Cerakote and Kydex and does some very creative custom work on nearly every firearm I can think of. He does a lot of work on Glocks, lightening cuts in slides, RMR cuts, trigger work, and much more. His work on lever actions is amazing, both function and looks. He always makes sure the customer walks away satisfied. They are in the middle of moving to a larger shop so drop them a line for the location.

He did the Cerakote work for me on a 300 BO build posted here and this is a recent customer request Cerakote job;

jason2.thumb.jpg.d1a2b14a52d15c09345b6843047322ea.jpgjason1.thumb.jpg.309856bed76c9ed8421f3b0026cb89dd.jpgjason3.thumb.jpg.18ea8b16d62869759e54eedbdb275d4d.jpg