• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Good read on the current ammo shortage

True story that article, I was lucky and bought some 22 before the stupidity started still my favorite round to shoot....also like to shoot 45acp but it got way to spendy so i bought a sig 22/45 and shoot that instead in the long run much cheaper...

Hoarding,,,,,,,,I'm guilty!!!!!

Walking through Wally World, a couple pf days ago, noticed the had some 45 ACP  230gr ammo on the shelf!  

I bought 3 boxes, and my wife bought 3 boxes.Local WW limits it to 3 bx per consumer.

300 rounds!!!!!

In addition to my "hoard".   5,000 rounds of mixed mil, commercial, and hollow points,  and another 5.000  loaded re-loads, with another 20,000 cases and bulletts ready to load ( yes, I have the primers and powder, too.)   Now, why in the hell did I need 300 MORE 45's?

I only have 6 ,45's to feed, between the wife and I.

What I "need" is more .22lr's!!!!! I only have @ 2,000 rds of Hi-Velocity, and 1,000 rds of std vel.

My  LGS "saved" me 500 rds of stanard vel rounds, as they Know that the wife and I sponser the local 4-h team.   But, I'm going to need at LEAST another 2,000 rounds for them for the season.

Don't know what I'm going to do..  Keep buying 22's, of course.   But, I may be forced to use MY OWN ammo, if I can't find more target loads.

Respectfully

Terry

Edited by Tripledeuce

Good article. I can't talk sh!t about the hoarding thing because I'm always on the lookout but haven't had the chance to necessarily hoard as of right now due to shortages in MA. I don't see it ending anytime soon. Certain calibers are popping back up but people are still very nervous and buying it up quickly.

Good article. I can't talk sh!t about the hoarding thing because I'm always on the lookout but haven't had the chance to necessarily hoard as of right now due to shortages in MA. I don't see it ending anytime soon. Certain calibers are popping back up but people are still very nervous and buying it up quickly.

C'mon back out this way, I'm telling you my local has everything, at near SH prices.

C'mon back out this way, I'm telling you my local has everything, at near SH prices.

That's because you're basically in CT lol. I can get a lot if I go around to a few stores but refuse to buy on the high side. 5.56 is largely going for .75 cents to 1.00 + per rd if broken down and its not good quality half the time. If I can't get value bulk rate prices then I pass.

That's because you're basically in CT lol. I can get a lot if I go around to a few stores but refuse to buy on the high side. 5.56 is largely going for .75 cents to 1.00 + per rd if broken down and its not good quality half the time. If I can't get value bulk rate prices then I pass.

You're making excuses……. I know you want to come out here and shoot some more. And the ammo she has is good stuff. I'll let you know if something absolutely unbelievable comes through…. cause I'll call you and tell you when I buy it all!  <lmao>  <laughs>

How can this be bad for manufacturers ? Instead of having stock in a warehouse , all future orders are sold before even produced . I hardly see a problem there for the ammo or gun manufacturers , just profits .

All Gov. contracts are filled first ,before commercial sales , but not all types.

Overtime, brother.

Stress of increased loads, hiring more workers, buying more machinery, training new staff. 

Once this sheeeeit tapers off, they're stuck with that overhead - more machinery than they need, the costs of the loans to increase the size of the facility (that they needed now, but might not need in the future when sheit calms down), the overtime for 24/7 operations, and the cost of unemployment insurance once they start laying people off that they don't need anymore (if it eventually slows down).

It's a big gamble for the ammo manufacturers. 

I stated that awhile ago, when prices went up on hardware - 24/7 operations, with additional workforce - that costs a company more, hence, we're paying for that increase - to meet the crazy demand. 

I'm not convinced by the hoarding theory. With the hoarding theory, factories pump out giant quantities of ammo that disappears from store shelves in minutes or hours, instead of weeks. I don't have that here in Iowa. Here, the local gun stores simply can't get ammunition. The ammo is not on the shelves because the retailers aren't getting it from their suppliers. I ask the clerks why they can't get ammo. They say, "It's the hoarders." But I ask them, "How do the hoarders get the ammo before you do?" They have no answer to that one.

One possibility is that we have retailers bidding against each other and some retailers out-bidding the others. And maybe the retailers around here are saying, "No, at prices like that we're not buying any for our customers."

But I'm not hearing anything like that, from *any* source. Hoarders might deserve some of the blame, but I don't see that they get all the blame. They certainly don't in this neck of the woods.

What happens here I was told Cabelas,Bass pro,Gander Mt. and Wally world get shippment on certain days.There is a concerted effort by some people to get large groups together and buy the max.allotted of various calibers.They wait in line for the store to open.Just about cleaning out the stock recieved.Then they[some LGS] turn it around for jackedup price.

What happens here I was told Cabelas,Bass pro,Gander Mt. and Wally world get shippment on certain days.There is a concerted effort by some people to get large groups together and buy the max.allotted of various calibers.They wait in line for the store to open.Just about cleaning out the stock recieved.Then they[some LGS] turn it around for jackedup price.

True....I was told that Wally World will get random shipments in and then wait until that night to put it out for the morning. A rep at the one near me told me that they have the same people come in first thing in the morning on their way to work nearly everyday to check new arrival ammo and buy the max amount. That doesn't leave much for most everybody else, if any.

Edited by jrtmasp

Same here in Colorado!   Watched ammo come in to the LGS, and it was all gone befor I left! 

Local Wally World clerk tells me they get ammo on Tue. and Thur.   Same guys are there at 6;30, for a 7AM stocking.

The ammo is moving, at least, some is even still on the shelf. LGS has both 223 and 7.62X39 on the shelf.

Hard to get is .22, 9mm, and 45.

Terry

Overtime, brother.

Stress of increased loads, hiring more workers, buying more machinery, training new staff. 

Once this sheeeeit tapers off, they're stuck with that overhead - more machinery than they need, the costs of the loans to increase the size of the facility (that they needed now, but might not need in the future when sheit calms down), the overtime for 24/7 operations, and the cost of unemployment insurance once they start laying people off that they don't need anymore (if it eventually slows down).

It's a big gamble for the ammo manufacturers. 

I stated that awhile ago, when prices went up on hardware - 24/7 operations, with additional workforce - that costs a company more, hence, we're paying for that increase - to meet the crazy demand. 

That would be true , if they all added equipment & work force , but most have said ( & with good economic sense for a manufacturer , as you have stated )that they have not added any thing .

I see no influx of ammo to the distributors on line or dealers shelves here in Florida. There is some thing not right about this picture, if they are pumping out this quantity of ammo , where is it all ?

Well, it seems to be improving - that, or my string of horrible luck changed. I managed to snag 1k rounds of .223 and 100 rnds of 7.62x51 today, and just slighly higher than 6 months ago prices. Wished it had been 1k of the 7.62, but that's the first boxes of it I've seen so hopefully soon.

Well, Texas30cal, it turns out, I have a theory about that. And it explains a few other things, too.

We can be pretty sure that the government is not hoarding .22. In fact, the government is not hoarding all sorts of calibers, but everything is hard to find.

With the government placing huge orders for ammo, those orders are soaking up a lot of powder. The government is getting so much powder that it's hard for you to find powder, and hard for me to find .22. Everybody runs low on everything when the government is getting all the powder.