• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Concerned

I purchased a RRA LAR 8 last summer. And I am very proud of it. I got it for hog hunting primarily and poking holes in paper. I probably have about 100 rounds through it. Shoots good and likes either 168 gr fed match stuff...or the 165 fed game getter even a little better. I secured 600rds of the 168 fed match. I don't thing it's a good hunting round for hogs. But thought it would provide good practice rounds and brass for reloading. ( then I read the disclaimer of warranty with reload use). So here is my concern. I have been told by a handful of people ...shop owners and law enforcement people that the .308 is not a good round for the ar style platform. That it tears itself apart from the recoil. I have heard from as little as 600 to 1000 rounds to expect things to start failing. I have been told that the barrel is just to much to be hanging off from an aluminum reciever . And that no matter who makes them that they just are not a long lived rifle. And that they need to be super cleaned and well maintained to last a little longer. The people who have told me this have lots of shooting experience. And it concerns me. That is why I am here seeking information. Thank you all in advance for your opinions. Drop

I don't have time to look them all up but 308AR's/AR-10's are used by friendly government military's around the world. Here's a couple examples...

Ours - http://www.knightarmco.com/images/m110.html

British - http://www.defensereview.com/lmt-308-modular-weapon-system-lm308mwse-monolithic-rail-platform-mrp-semi-auto-7-62mm-nato-tactical-ar-riflecarbine/

I believe I read somewhere that the Philippines purchased some Rock River LAR8's.

LWRC has a contract with Saudi Arabia for either 308's or 6.8's (can't recall) and others.... 

As long as you buy or build quality 308AR's it will treat you well. The people telling you that BS have probably never shot much less owned a 308AR.

Even experienced gunnies fall victim to internet know it alls. I would ask how many of those guys have AR308s and have seen them wear out.

A guy I previously had respect for in the realm of gun knowledge told me last night that he would never own a glock because they can melt with hard use. Lol.

The people telling you that BS have probably never shot much less owned a 308AR.

That's the truth.  The sources you've talked to on the subject don't know what the hell they're talking about.  They'd be a lot of fun to sit down with in a bar, when this subject comes up.  They'd be crying in their beer within 10 minutes.

Even experienced gunnies fall victim to internet know it alls.

Yep, sounds like the bulk of their "experience" on the subject comes from other people that didn't know what they were talking about.  Regurgitation of garbage.

<laughs>  <lmao> Now that we have had a good laugh for the day lets move on to some shooting.

No kiddin'...