• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SHOT Show 2014

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several discussions I had with manufacturers:

Barnes Bullets:  With the ATF letter coming out a couple years ago about the solid-construction of some bullets, and thus going into an "armor piercing" category, you filed a request for exemption on many calibers for the TSX banded solid copper bullets, but you didn't file for the .224" category.  What's the status on the exemption requests you filed, and will you include the .224 in the future?

Answer:  The copper construction of the banded solid TSX is NOT an armor piercing projectile. (conversation interruption - I gave him a big HELL YEAH IT'S NOT! right there in the conversation).  The ATF's letter was never intended for the Barnes TSX, but they took those steps ahead of time just to make sure they were't lumped into that category in the future.  They have never received an answer from BATFE on the exemption request they filed, for the calibers they filed, and they don't expect to get an answer.  They will NOT pursue an exemption for the .224 projectiles, and they do not make them anymore.  They won't make them in the future.

Bummer.   Next question was - how does Silver State Armory still manufacture and sell loaded 70 TSX ammunition?  Answer:  We don't know, but they must have purchased alot of them when they could - we haven't made them in awhile.

Next Booth - Silver State Armory:  Question:  How do you guys still manufacture .223 ammo loaded with the Barnes 70 TSX?  Barnes isn't making those anymore...

Answer:  We buy alot of bullets, in very large quantities.  I don't know how many of those we bought, but I can say that we buy in lots that can be as large as 500,000 projectiles...

Interesting... 

Next Booth: Hodgdon powders...  Question:  You guys still making Varget?  I can't find that stuff ANYWHERE. 

Answer:  Yeah we do!  Lot's of it!  I think we manufactured 50,000 pounds of Varget last year.  If you can't find it, that means people are beating you to it, because we're still making ALOT of it.

Bummer...

Next Booth: Daniel Defense:  Comments:  What you guys did last January with the online ordering of custom rifles was INGENIOUS.  You were the ONLY place for someone to buy an AR, at that time.  If you could get into the website, construct your rifle, and make it to checkout, you received a rifle.  You were the only people doing that, the ONLY place to buy a complete AR, and that kicked you up a notch (or many) in alot of people's eyes. 

Answer:  (laughs)  We try.  I know we were trying to push out rifles in a week during that period, for those that would make it through checkout.  We fell short, and some people didn't get their rifles for two weeks.  (TWO WEEKS!!!  Unreal, guys   <thumbsup> ). 

Next comment:  Did you guys bring your new Mk12 to the show?

Answer: Yeah, it's right over here... 

Wow, guys, that Mk12 is SWEET!  We discussed the rail on it - it's not really the new Lite II rail.  It's more.  What it has become will be the NEW rails from DD, the Lite III.  If you order a Mk12 rifle, you get that rail on it.  Once they introduce the Lite III line, you'll be able to order that rail separately, as a Lite III.  The full line of rails will have Lite III offerings (I don't know if the Lite II will be phased out, or if both will still be offered)...

Cool...

Next, pay attention to Frerking Custom Works...    http://fcwguns.com/

I'll get more info up as I go through notes, and business cards.

Edited by 98Z5V

Okay, I can't get the info on FCW to load, for some reason...

Anyway, we probably spent a total of 3 or 4 hours over the course of the show, just talking to Travis Frerking.  He's one cool guy.  Funny stories, good times, and he's got one AWESOME piece of hardware coming out.  I've got pics, but I will not post them until I can get his permission.  I'll call him next week.  At any rate, I'll try to get him on the forum - he'd fit right in around here, I have NO doubt!...  <lmao>