• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Blades

Robocop1051

There are a lot of good steels.  ATS-34 is Hitachi's version of 154CM, which is a perfectly nice steel, but what I'd consider a "good" steel, not a great/super steel.  I also didn't include CTS-XHP, which is reportedly fantastic, but I have no personal experience with it yet.  M390 beats heck out of all of the SXXV steels IMO though, and those are generally considered better steels than ATS-34/154CM or the better CPM 154 version.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I am all over a giveaway! Lol

Kabar lists the history of 1095 crovan steel. I love talk to uncle Ethan though! Lol

I love looking into basic metallurgy stuff too! I am not educated enough to really appreciate the complexities of it, but it makes for good reading.

I like 5160 as well! That is what the "Khukuri House" advertises their Khukuri as being made of. I know 5169 is a leaf spring steel...

Anyways, I like it. :-)

Man... I am getting all excited! Talking about custom knives!

Crimson, I would appreciate your advice.

I am ordering a custom tracker style knife, and I was given the option of 1095, 1075, or 5160.

For a tracker sized knife meant for some chopping etc, I thought that 5160 might be the way to go, bit I had no idea about 1075.

I ignorantly assumed that for most all applications, 1095 was the best 10## series steel, and everything else was simply cheaper.

But then I read that 1075 is tougher and easier to sharpen, but edge retention isn't as good, and it wont get as hard.

It is a lot to ask, and i dont know if my question is out of place, but what do you think the strengths and weaknesses of these three steels would be in a tracker with a blade of about... 5.5"

Edited by beachmaster

Honestly, the steel I would pick is the one that the maker can heat treat the best.  Any of those steels can do a great job.  I'd probably pick 1095 or 5160 out of those three, although of course I'd prefer other steels if I had the option.  If the maker can't tell you what kind of performance you can get from each type of steel with the heat treat, you may want to look elsewhere.  1075 is a pretty forgiving steel to heat treat.  1095 is harder to do well, but does a great job when you get it.  5160 is one of my favorite options for a beater, or something that needs to be tough.

What thickness are we talking about?  Can the maker work in other steels, or just simple carbon steels?

I'm not sure about the width... I'm assuming 3/16th or 1/4".

Those were the options of steels that they gave me. I was speaking to the makers wife. I asked which steel he was most comfortable with, has the most experience with, and what he likes working with. She asked, and he said 5160. I said ill take it :-)

I read that 5160 is a great steal for a mediocre knife. What they meant is that it is hard to really screw it up, but equally hard to do it perfectly. So a person with little skill will get decent results.

Thanks for the advice!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had been wanting a big chopper for a long time a scored big on a used ESEE junglas. $75 out the door with sheath and molle panel. You knife nerds will realize how awesome that is. It is an amazing knife. Eats tree limbs like it has an engine on it. Decided to try some budget customization.

Acid etched the logos into the steel. ($15) rit dye on scales and shaped up with dremel power ($2) was going to rust blue the blade but didn't have a pot big enough to boil the mixture, so I had it polished at a friend's shop ($10). Edge got a little beat up so I let a pro sharpen it back up ($6) and here's my $100 custom ESEE

post-12215-0-34834000-1434222399_thumb.j

post-12215-0-68966300-1434222446_thumb.j

post-12215-0-26557100-1434222501_thumb.j

post-12215-0-34457200-1434222554_thumb.j

post-12215-0-39776400-1434222589_thumb.j

post-12215-0-94448200-1434222613_thumb.j

Edited by blue109

I had been wanting a big chopper for a long time a scored big on a used ESEE junglas. $75 out the door with sheath and molle panel. You knife nerds will realize how awesome that is. It is an amazing knife. Eats tree limbs like it has an engine on it. Decided to try some budget customization.

Acid etched the logos into the steel. ($15) rit dye on scales and shaped up with dremel power ($2) was going to rust blue the blade but didn't have a pot big enough to boil the mixture, so I had it polished at a friend's shop ($10). Edge got a little beat up so I let a pro sharpen it back up ($6) and here's my $100 custom ESEE

That is actually cool.