• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel length and accuracy

Sisco

my wife was having a conversation with some of the security guards at work about guns, and someone walking past joined in the conversation. He started on with the blah blah about how "where he used to live" he went to a range with a 3000yd range, and was shooting plates there, and wanted to know where one like that was in florida.....

You should have invited those guys out to Renzo's tonight.   

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's pretty much is what was meant in the beginning , it just got out of hand or should I say out of the 308AR realm , once or twice , well , maybe three times . <lmao>

The title of this section is " Accurizing the 308AR " <thumbsup>

We'll get back to it eventually, till then some interesting posts.

I agree , there are some good points being made & with out an open discussion , we would probably never read some of these.

I see now I have to make a 155 gr. bullet load to compare to the 168 & 175 gr. loads I have set already , thanks for making more work for me . Its very hard being retired & have all this work piled on . <lmao>

I agree , there are some good points being made & with out an open discussion , we would probably never read some of these.

I see now I have to make a 155 gr. bullet load to compare to the 168 & 175 gr. loads I have set already , thanks for making more work for me . Its very hard being retired & have all this work piled on . <lmao>

155 grain Berger Hybrids? That is all my LGS guy uses for Palma cup matches.

• 3 months later...

I just saw the rifle that won last years Palma. A long sucker! It all boils down to when the bullet goes under the speed of sound. Then key holing starts. As long as the short barreled weapon bullets stay supersonic they can compete. But above 500 yards, it is going to take a lot more to do that. And eventually the longer barrel will always win out. With a 308 a carbine goes transonic around 500 yards. The study above looked only out to 500 yards, probably for that reason. The carbine and the rifle have a chance to be equal, but only at limited distances. After 8-900 yards, the 308 rifle loses out to the 300 Winchester Magnum for the same reason. And the 300 WM eventually loses out to the .338 Lapua.

Back when I kept up with my friends that shot the Palma the host country furnished identical rifles for the match usually their military's long range service rifle.

Okay, I sometimes reply to older postings, I even had a comment on the Ten Commandments when Moses posted them.....I still have the mallet and chisel I used on the Exodus site.

Edited by mrmackc

• 2 years later...

Rereading this thread, makes me realize how little I knew back then, and a renewed appreciation for the knowledge of the regulars on this forum. Damn! opened up a hornets nest back then! Without really trying!  NJensen and Stain Train both shared a lot of good knowledge.

I see that this subject made it back again and I believe the same article to boot.

If you want a short barrel rifle, by all means go get one. If you want to brag about hitting the dinger at 700 yds with a short barrel, hey that's great.

But what I really want to see, is a short barrel rifle win a rifle match. Not just a lucky shot at a dinger. 

There are NRA F-Class and regular HP matches all over the country. 

Bring the short barrel rifle with some accuracy and bring that article and that video clip along with you. You can tell all the other shooters there about your article and video clip as you sign up for the rifle match. Please tell them all that their 26 inch or 30 barrels suck real bad and your going kick their collective buts and win.

Hey, there is a service rifle class, M-1 Garand, M1A/m-14, AR-15 (irons or 1-4x scope), M-110 (irons only). I believe, I put them in order from longer barrel to the SHORTER barrel. 

BUT I gotta ask this one question, would you be more embarrassed being beating by a junior with an AR -15 or by someone with a longer barrel?  Cause it's going to be one or the other.

Bring a lap top or I-pad for that video, one needs a bigger screen to watch it.

26 minutes ago, HotRod308 said:

I see that this subject made it back again and I believe the same article to boot.

If you want a short barrel rifle, by all means go get one. If you want to brag about hitting the dinger at 700 yds with a short barrel, hey that's great.

But what I really want to see, is a short barrel rifle win a rifle match. Not just a lucky shot at a dinger. 

Bring the short barrel rifle with some accuracy and bring that article and that video clip along with you. You can tell all the other shooters there about your article and video clip as you sign up for the rifle match. Please tell them all that their 26 inch or 30 barrels suck real bad and your going kick their collective buts and win.

Hey, there is a service rifle class, M-1 Garand, M1A/m-14, AR-15 (irons or 1-4x scope), M-110 (irons only). I believe, I put them in order from longer barrel to the SHORTER barrel. 

BUT I gotta ask this one question, would you be more embarrassed being beating by a junior with an AR -15 or by someone with a longer barrel?  Cause it's going to be one or the other.

I thought we addressed this already , in this thread .

1 hour ago, HotRod308 said:

Scratching my head?!? 

You sound butt hurt over a thread that precedes your membership?!

Edited by shepp