• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Trouble

Murch7

Hey good evening folks,

I recently assembled my first .308 build. After getting all the pieces together, I worked the bolt assembly open and closed repeatedly and oiled everything in the normal spots. I noticed it was a little stiff when pulling the charging handle back towards the last couple pulls but chalked it up to working out the kinks. I pulled it out the other day and the bolt is stuck and will not release to charge properly. I had a friend come over and we looked it over but to no avail. He wondered if the forward assist may have somehow gotten stuck in the forward position but we had no way of checking that. Has anybody here ever had any issues similar to this? 

Move uploaded a quick clip highlighting the issue. 

Is a gunsmith in my future or is this something I could remedy at home with basic tools?

6788C808-DC60-4928-9BC6-F56E794C6118.MOV

1 hour ago, Murch7 said:

Hey good evening folks,

I recently assembled my first .308 build. After getting all the pieces together, I worked the bolt assembly open and closed repeatedly and oiled everything in the normal spots. I noticed it was a little stiff when pulling the charging handle back towards the last couple pulls but chalked it up to working out the kinks. I pulled it out the other day and the bolt is stuck and will not release to charge properly. I had a friend come over and we looked it over but to no avail. He wondered if the forward assist may have somehow gotten stuck in the forward position but we had no way of checking that. Has anybody here ever had any issues similar to this? 

Move uploaded a quick clip highlighting the issue. 

Is a gunsmith in my future or is this something I could remedy at home with basic tools?

6788C808-DC60-4928-9BC6-F56E794C6118.MOV

Mortar that sucker, it's likely just needing to be soaking wet and a thorough break-in.

Thanks guys I will be letting it soak real good first and then if that doesn’t work move to persuasion. 

No headspace check was done, as this issue literally happened directly after initial assembly. 

Parts: 

Blitzkrieg Tactical 80% lower

Aero upper

Blitzkrieg Tactical BCG

Faxon medium taper 18”

Basic LPK

rifle length Gas system

Luth-Ar stock

20 minutes ago, Murch7 said:

No headspace check was done

Blitzkrieg Tactical BCG

Faxon medium taper 18”

The two bolded items determine your headspace.  I'm betting it's not that Faxon barrel, if you indeed have a headspace problem.

Headspace should always be checked on these 308 builds. Always.  There IS no M16/M4 TDP to follow, for manufacturers, there IS no mandated pattern.  There are 3 major patterns of these rifles, aftermarket manufacturers out the a$s... Tolerance stacking is ALWAYS an issue, even with some of the "reputable manufacturers..."

Imagine your situation, right now - you have a round stuck in the chamber, dry-cycling this thing in the living room, basement, where ever...  Imagine if you didn't do that, and you just proceeded directly to the range for the first time, loaded that round, pulled the trigger...  What's gonna happen?...  This thing gonna blow up in your face?  Leave shrapnel in your hand?  Lose an eye over it?...

A headspace check would have prevented this, maybe... 

26 minutes ago, Murch7 said:

rifle length Gas system

Please specify what recoil system you are running.  We have the gas system and barrel length.  That Faxon barrel is a good barrel.  Recoil system description is almost mandatory, to determine if you have the correct BCG travel, considering the situation.

AS was said early in this Thread , Make sure your stock is collapsed fully ( if it has a Carbine stock set up) & use the Mortar procedure to free the BCG up .

Once its free , remove the Ejector for Head Spacing , some even remove the Extractor & that will relieve some pressure on the Bolt fit into the Locking Lugs of the Receiver Extension . I always check Head Space with dry components , wipe the Chamber , Bolt & Barrel Extension Locking Lugs with dry patches to make sure its not loaded up with oil or Grease . If it was oiled up , it will still be in the pores of the Metal , which you want for a HS check , you cant get it all off with out a solvent any way .

Also as said , some of these Parts Rifles using components that were never tested together as a Factory rifle components are with R&D , so they can be assembled by factory line type of assemblers , they sometimes tend to need a round count to seat the Friction components . Caution  Do so at your own risk if not Head Spaced before shooting .

I check HS before I assemble the Barrel  on the Upper Receiver & after . I still get calls of your same issue on new Factory Rifles , which you shouldn't need to check HS , but there are some tight ones out there . 

Try to chamber a Dummy round & see how it functions .

Edited by survivalshop

I'm pretty sure the Blitzkrieg BCG is from the same supplier that Ares (Dimitri) was using - should be decent quality but, that doesn't mean you should skip the headspace check - that would only be the case if you bought the Barrel and Bolt from the same supplier and they did the headspace check as a service or courtesy:thumbup:

Just noticed your video, looks like the cam pin is not unlocking the bolt from the barrel extension - you may be able to remove the handguard and barrel nut and try to pull the Barrel/BCG forward enough to clear the locating pin and rotate the barrel to unlock the bolt - if successful you can then check the headspace, make sure the BCG is assembled correctly, check the cam action on the BCG, LUBE IT UP REAL WELL!, and re-assemble it.:thumbup:

14 hours ago, survivalshop said:

AS was said early in this Thread , Make sure your stock is collapsed fully ( if it has a Carbine stock set up) & use the Mortar procedure to free the BCG up .

Once its free , remove the Ejector for Head Spacing , some even remove the Extractor & that will relieve some pressure on the Bolt fit into the Locking Lugs of the Receiver Extension . I always check Head Space with dry components , wipe the Chamber , Bolt & Barrel Extension Locking Lugs with dry patches to make sure its not loaded up with oil or Grease . If it was oiled up , it will still be in the pores of the Metal , which you want for a HS check , you cant get it all off with out a solvent any way .

Also as said , some of these Parts Rifles using components that were never tested together as a Factory rifle components are with R&D , so they can be assembled by factory line type of assemblers , they sometimes tend to need a round count to seat the Friction components . Caution  Do so at your own risk if not Head Spaced before shooting .

I check HS before I assemble the Barrel  on the Upper Receiver & after . I still get calls of your same issue on new Factory Rifles , which you shouldn't need to check HS , but there are some tight ones out there . 

Try to chamber a Dummy round & see how it functions .

Sorry about the delay in response, weird shift at the job. 

I pulled the rifle out just now in an attempt to mortar it free. A couple ginger attempts and a handful more forceful attempts resulted in the bcg not freezing and actually got stuck a few milikeeters back from where it started. A few mortar attempts freed it back to the stuck position forward. 

8 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

Just noticed your video, looks like the cam pin is not unlocking the bolt from the barrel extension - you may be able to remove the handguard and barrel nut and try to pull the Barrel/BCG forward enough to clear the locating pin and rotate the barrel to unlock the bolt - if successful you can then check the headspace, make sure the BCG is assembled correctly, check the cam action on the BCG, LUBE IT UP REAL WELL!, and re-assemble it.:thumbup:

Guru, I will see if ncan dis-assemble from the front forward tomorrow. This stuff is still relatively new to me, as my ar-15 build came as a completely assembled upper from palmetto. Definitely took that for granted, as evident now. But this is part of the reason I decided to piece together this rifle, in hopes I could learn more of the ins and outs. 

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Please specify what recoil system you are running.  We have the gas system and barrel length.  That Faxon barrel is a good barrel.  Recoil system description is almost mandatory, to determine if you have the correct BCG travel, considering the situation.

I’m regards to recoil system I believe it is just a standard M5 rifle buffer and spring. 

I really appreciate all all the info and suggestions so far. I’ll update tomorrow when I break it down. 

FA953AD4-9F70-4F9B-9291-237BF6728C74.jpeg

Also , There is a Firing Pin in the BCG ,   Wonder if the Firing Pin ,Retainer  , secured the Firing Pin correctly. 

Watching your Video again , I see you forced the Buffer back into the Receiver Extension to close the Receivers , I don't think the BCG is all the way locked up , I believe the BCG should move that Buffer out of the way when closing with out having to push it out of the way .

Tolerance Stacking can cause all kinds of strange issues.

First time the Mortaring procedure didn't work that I have seen or heard , but that could mean something is out of wack , spec wise or something moved where it shouldn't of .

I think we had a member here that assembled his BCG with out the Firing Pin to test chambering a loaded round , because he had no Dummy round to use . He got lucky & he was able to work it till the Cam Pin aligned right & the Bolt unlocked .

Edited by survivalshop