• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Horses and Firearms

Peachey

I just got home from a very special errand that we've been praying about very much lately. We have been given the opportunity to buy the small private horse ranch that myself and our daughter have been helping out at for the past year. Today was the first round of appraisal and we're looking really good.

It is small, like 10 acres small, but it's subdivided into 3 different pens about 2 acres each. 3bed 2bath ranch with a detached 3 bay garage, and a above ground pool. One room tack house as well. In it's prime it was a rehab place for troubled teens and kids to get some "country" living experience. Unfortunately that all came to a end 15-20 years ago and it's just too much for one sweet lady to keep up with.

We're very confident that a 100yd range (maybe more) is easily doable on the property behind the horse pens. There's nothing but a large hill and woods for 4 miles in that direction. Westgadad can have a burm made in no time with the bobcat and then we'd be good to go. 

The question is, do any of you know about horses and gunfire? There are 3 (2 male, 1 female) adults ranging from 2-6 years old, and soon to be a baby. The adults have never been exposed to any gunshots other than the occasional distant Hunter in winter time. Think it's ok? Can they get used to it as mature animals? Am I overthinking it? Lol. 

This is literally my dream home, and it's looking like after months of planning it's going to happen. I just hope the horses will be ok with it lol.

Back in the day (even before my younger days)Texas Rangers, not the baseball bunch, trained their horses to not spook when the Rangers shot their Winchester repeating rifles from the saddle in a dead run. Their horses were often semi-broken and often did a  bucking spell when first mounted early in the morning.

I've been searching the internet (and watching my Braves lol) ever since I posted earlier. I keep seeing that using balloons to create loud sudden noises is recommended. Also seems that a lot of folks just shoot regardless, and that the animals will eventually get desensitized on their own. 

I trust you guys a whole lot more than the regular old internet though! Thanks for the well wishes and everything so far. Keep any input coming!

As people say they will desensitize but you can make it a  less stressful proccess.

Well if your patient and take some time it's doable,horses and wildlife do acclimatize to gunfire.My local range has to call ceasefires when deer wander onto a hot range. We physical have to go out and chase them as gunshots/bear bangers have no effect.

There isn't one single solution ,start with placement of range and direction one fires. Firing from inside an open sided shelter with the back towards the pasture is most ideal. As a musician try get some sound absorbing/deadening panels to use on the shack

Along with the backstop berm, a berm between range and horses, adding trees bushes helps absorb some sound. Ideally your trying to reduce the sharpness of bang rather then loudness.

Even if you can't do everything all is not lost. Start by using .22s and while someone is shooting(slow fire) have person by paddock with food/treats. The ideal spot is the point furthest from range as this is where horses will go to. While skittish at first possible, if you don't appear concern and there is food that goes along way. In a perfect world  if you can have a horse that's 'bomb proof' start with them then slowly add other horses, horses will take cues from other horses as to the 'danger'

Another trick is to also pre-warn the horses that shooting will commence, horses flight animal and their instinct is to run first then after a bit stop and if no danger they stop and eat. Hooking up a buzzer near the paddock(doesn't have to be loud) that you can activate from the firing line just prior to commencing shooting.Realistically this one is a bit overkill.

Start slowly, observe and go from there. It is doable

@Cunuckgaucho Awesome! It's funny you bring up the feed because we were discussing earlier today that the hay Hopper and sweet feed pails are already completely across the field from where we'd ideally shoot from. Not a super long distance away, but far enough that a .22 would be more "bearable" of a crack. Plus we enjoy shooting the subsonics in our 2 Ithicas anyway. I think we may be on to something here.

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Every animal is trainable to gunfire.  Look into training for bird-hunting dogs.  That's the basis, right there. 

@edgecrusher, anything you can add here, brother?

this^^ my bro did start his lab with a cap gun ,every time he produces food its followed by random cap guns in another room. until combined to the same room and instinct and so on.. good luck with the new kids! 

Back when I was a lot younger (in my teens) we hunted mule deer out in Colorado every fall. The rancher out there had horses you could shoot off of. Don't know how they were trained but it did happen. I have a dog that cowers in the house when anyone within a mile is shooting. Over the last 3 years he is a bit better about it because after every trip I make out to our range he gits a piece of cheese. Now when I come in from the range he is sitting at the fridge waiting on his cheese. Good luck on the farm purchase. Animals can be trained it just takes time and work.

We shoot around my father’s horses regularly. Their first encounter with it may cause a bit of a jump. They’ll be curious, they’ll probably watch it for a bit, but they’ll ease up to it rather quickly. My father is part of a local city’s mounted unit of their police department. It’s a volunteer group made up mostly of retired officers and a few other cowboys. My dad is just one of the other cowboys and a level 2 reserve with the department. They do a lot of work with the horses to desensitize and prepare for anything. It doesn’t take long to get them used to firing from horseback. 

Check out trainer Clinton Anderson. 

https://downunderhorsemanship.com/discover/clinton-anderson/

He has a lot of good videos on teaching these big dumb animals. I say that with ok due respect to horses, but they’re big dumb animals. Each has their own unique set of issues, but they’re all the same and the operating instructions work across the board. Sometimes you gotta figure out which buttons need to be pressed, but they all have the same set. How you work with and around them makes all the difference.  I like the start with a cap gun for a bit, throw in the .22 and then step up to some pistols. I think you’ll be just fine.

Good luck, and I hope this works out for you!  We just picked up 20 acres about a year ago that took almost two years of headaches to land. It’s gonna be an awesome spot to raise my boys and I hope to get a few horses lined up some day. Small steps first though, I owe my wife a house before we get buried in bills feeding and caring for horses. 

Edited by DNP

On 9/7/2019 at 3:11 AM, shooterrex said:

Back when I was a lot younger (in my teens) we hunted mule deer out in Colorado every fall. The rancher out there had horses you could shoot off of.

This reminded me of an incident from years ago! One of our local S.O. Deputies (later became a hell of a Sheriff) was out deer hunting with a buddy of his. They were on horse back, both riding horses provided by his buddy. Jim asked his friend "Can you shoot off these horses?" and his friend said "Of course!" They split up and a bit later Jim got a shot at a deer and took it. The horse promptly bucked him of onto some rocks, breaking a couple of ribs in the process. Jim got back to camp and told his buddy "I thought you said I could shoot off of this horse!" His friend started laughing and said "I did, but I never said he wouldn't throw your ass!"

After having several horses and done some breaking, I would say to Ms Peachy, really think it over before owning a horse. I would rather have a couple of 4 wheelers and a side by side 4x4 Polaris Ranger or J.D. Gator. They don't eat drink and poop 24/7/52/365 and require a pasture,shoeing, horse trailers, saddles tack, Etc.,Etc............... just some oil gas and battery charging, then when they get ragged and worn out, just trade them in. If you need something to keep the grass and weeds down either get some goats or buy a DR field mower!

Oh...and no hole digging required when they go. Better have a good tractor, or know who to call to get the glue factory to come pick em up. That’s a damn big hole to dig by hand. 

That said, I can’t wait to have a few someday. I don’t know if a boat or a horse is a quicker money shredder...I’ll have to get both and see. 

5 hours ago, DNP said:

Oh...and no hole digging required when they go. Better have a good tractor, or know who to call to get the glue factory to come pick em up. That’s a damn big hole to dig by hand. 

That said, I can’t wait to have a few someday. I don’t know if a boat or a horse is a quicker money shredder...I’ll have to get both and see. 

According to my oldest son, it would be the boat. He says boat stands for 'bring out another thousand'!

I have shot a lot of guns around and on horses the key is training just like anything else start with 22 shorts and when you shoot throw some hay or let them have some sweet feed while you are doing it.. then remember to never fire near their heads and you will be fine as long as the horse is well broke green horses need a bit more training before shooting from them, anyway I have shot hunting rifles and black powder as well used to be fun but I am to old for that stuff now will leave it to the younger crowd...

DSC00875.JPG