• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Finally got myself a 45

DNP

So, been wanting a single action for a while. Finally got to pick her up today. Just in time for the zombie apocalypse. 

grabbed some cases set to take shotgun primers and wax bullets too. Should be fun to plink with those and work on the fast draw. Gotta get myself a good belt and holster next. 

hammer back for you 1911 guys. Trigger is a little touchy in that condition though. 

29E7CD4D-594B-4229-9B8E-0A7364710720.jpeg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CFDA. Cowboy fast draw association. There’s like 4 main manufacturers of them. These are not the right primers as they have already done what I was told they would. Some brands, such as the federal, will pop up enough when fired to jam up the cylinder. Still fun. I have the right primers in order, but the store has these. After buying cases, it’s about $0.04-0.05 per round to shoot. 

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

CFDA. Cowboy fast draw association. There’s like 4 main manufacturers of them. These are not the right primers as they have already done what I was told they would. Some brands, such as the federal, will pop up enough when fired to jam up the cylinder. Still fun. I have the right primers in order, but the store has these. After buying cases, it’s about $0.04-0.05 per round to shoot. 

interesting I learned something. as a shotgunner I can tell you that the 209a federal primer is a hot one. Winchester or cheddite are not magnum primer

I have a bunch of CCI on order. They like Fiochi too for these I guess. Can’t wait to get the targets up and see how she goes. From the few live rounds I shot today into the hillside I think I’m gonna be pretty happy. 

sounds like good time

1 hour ago, DNP said:

I have a bunch of CCI on order. They like Fiochi too for these I guess. Can’t wait to get the targets up and see how she goes. From the few live rounds I shot today into the hillside I think I’m gonna be pretty happy. 

1 hour ago, sagebrush said:

sounds like good time

Glad you were able to pick it up with all the stuff going on. I have a Blackhawk with both cylinders. Sometimes I shoot acp but not often. We used to drill out the primer pocket a bit, prime then press the case down into a block of paraffin. Marked the case heads so they stayed out if the reloading brass. Put a towel in a cardboard box and shoot. Remelt paraffin and use again next time.

Back in the day, I used to have backstop made up of old carpet cut in strips about 2" wide. They hung down from a rope or dowel like drapes, with the target in front of them. Used plastic bullets propelled by primers. At 7 yards, it was good practice especially if you were using a wheel gun. Autos shot okay, just had to rack the slide after each shot. That kind of system would work fine in any room you had limited access to so you could be sure nobody would walk in into the line of fire. It's just plastic (or wax) but it would still put your eye out.

Oh yeah. From the feel of it so far. It’s still pretty dangerous to get hit by this stuff.  Once I have the holster and get the draw down a bit...and can hit the damn target often enough...they sell the timer kit they use for fast draw along with a 24” target that has an LED light in the middle. Some of these guys can pull .3 ish seconds from light on to target hit. Friggin impressive. 

as for the cowboy action stuff (redneck 3 gun)...here’s a cool promotional video:

1 hour ago, Radioactive said:

Cool vid.

Do they shoot wax bullets out of the rifles as well? What are they using for the shotgun?

now I’ve got another research project :thumbup:

No wax bullets in the 3 gun. That’s all live ammo. 

wax is for this:

1 hour ago, Radioactive said:

I found a holster for you

A226D8F3-7D04-4CD7-B825-E51686BCD142.jpeg

I don’t think I’d be able to fill that one. Looks like it’s set up for a 7” inch barrel and mines a little under 5”. 

Oh...you meant the pistol holster. Yeah. Same story. That’s 4-5/8” on my Vaquero.