• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New here, and it's awesome!

CatFood

Hello all! I was directed here by @Albroswift from the mcarbo forum. 

Well where to start, build quite a few ar15's and a 80% ak from a Romanian g kit. Now I'm dipping my feed into the large frame ar pool. Just wrapping up my first build and I hope is goes smoothly.

I'm sure I will be asking a bunch of question as the large frame is new to me. This is a featurless build because Kommiefornia. Was going to be a lightish build, but the covid/riots dried up most of my parts I wanted. I digress, here is the parts list of my current build:

Aero upper and lower

BA 22" fluted 6.5cm rifle gas barrel (heavvvvvy)

Witt machine mre brake

Aero bcg (waiting on delivery)

SA adjustable gas block

Aero atlas s-one 15" handguard

Barrel bedded to upper using loctite 620

Vseven 2055 308/a5 extension 

Luth ar mba3 stock

Heavy buffers 8.5oz carbine buffer and ss extra inserts (waiting to be delivered)

Springco green spring (waiting on delivery)

Pof flat trigger

Radion raptor charging handle

Si fin grip (featurless)

Anyways I was chatting with Al regarding gas port size. I don't have a pin gauge kit yet, so I used a digital caliper and it measured .068" and is around 9" (measured roughly with brake installed) from the barrel crown. So for the time being I'll leave it as is to see how it functions. Just running irons for now until I decide what scope/mount I want to run. So if anyone out there has better experience with gas port size vs dwell length would like to chime in that would be awesome (no need to spoon feed, once I'm done with this post I'm going to scavenge this forum for info).

Any who glade I'm here now too!

7 hours ago, CatFood said:

Anyways I was chatting with Al regarding gas port size. I don't have a pin gauge kit yet, so I used a digital caliper and it measured .068" and is around 9" (measured roughly with brake installed) from the barrel crown.

That's rifle-length gas system with a dwell time like that, on a 22" barrel.  It's gonna be an 8.875" dwell on that.  What's the gas block diameter - barrel thickness for the gas block?

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's rifle-length gas system with a dwell time like that, on a 22" barrel.  It's gonna be an 8.875" dwell on that.  What's the gas block diameter - barrel thickness for the gas block?

@98Z5V it's a .936" gas block size. I don't know the barrel thickness at the gas port. I have the muzzle device on it so I was just guessing average length. 

@willbird the gas tube looks to be in the proper location, I'll get a pic when I get home, thanks for the heads up.

And thank you for warm welcomes. 

Edited by CatFood

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Thats a deep hole. 

Thats what he said.

Yeah it wasn't my first choice in barrels, but it fit my budget for the time being. That is what I came out to as well .3365". Thanks for the help @98Z5V and @Albroswift

Here is the gas tube location pic.

Got some not so pleasant news at work today so my head isn't in the game at the moment. 

20200810_194510.jpg

Edited by CatFood

I figured somewhat as much when you mentioned the Appleseed in Piru.  Rainbow is as close as it gets on the schedule right now, but Piru isn’t a terrible drive.  I’ve been debating doing one in AZ sometime if uncle 98 can come with me and the oldest boy.