• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sand Time... Finally.

98Z5V

Hitting the sand tomorrow morning, brothers.  Haven't been out there since 2017, and it sucks to be away from it that long.  Was all geared up for T-Day 2017, and accidentally put a brand new SHARP knife into my left hand, at work, a day before I was leaving.  That's my clutch-hand.  Knicked the tendon for my index finger, too.  FUK that hurt.  :embarrassed:

Right away, a call went out to @DNP - once I stopped the bleeding.  "Hey brother, you ain't gonna BELIEVE THIS SHIIT!!!"...   I'm out.  He tells me that he's out, too, based on the property purchase, and everything that was going down with that, back at that time...   Call one other buddy, and he says, " You can ride with us!  We all have rigs that you can ride in!"...  Yeah.  Nope.  If I can't ride my own shiit, clutch it, and get down, then I just can't do it. 

So, I haven't been out there since then - and I've been out there every single year starting 2004, for T-Day, with @DNP. Really, '04 to '16, we never, ever missed a trip for Thanksgiving, and we had a hell of alot MORE trips than that.  That was a great run, and I put a fucking knife in my clutch hand...  

So, finally, I'll get back out there, on the 34-year old beast.  The old 1986 Honda TRX250R.  That was originally @DNP's bike, for real.  Staying up all night, and I leave in a few hours, to meet up with the local brothers here in town, that have been there since Tuesday.  Can't wait to RIDE, and beat the shiit out of the machine!...   :banana:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Hitting the sand tomorrow morning, brothers.  Haven't been out there since 2017, and it sucks to be away from it that long.  Was all geared up for T-Day 2017, and accidentally put a brand new SHARP knife into my left hand, at work, a day before I was leaving. 

So, I haven't been out there since then - and I've been out there every single year starting 2004, for T-Day, with @DNP. Really, '04 to '16, we never, ever missed a trip for Thanksgiving, and we had a hell of alot MORE trips than that.  That was a great run, and I put a fucking knife in my clutch hand...  

Damn you heal slow! :lmao:

WTF?  You didn’t even give a little heads up?  I just got my quad up and running a couple weeks ago to loan to a co-workers son. With a little warning I might have been able to head down. I get mentioned like 4 times in the post, but no other warning?  Changing your name from Tom-ass to Tom-dick....no warning, no invite. Probably gonna come back with some pictures to rub in too. Speaking of rubbing in, where’s my fucking vagisil?!...this sucks. 

Edited by DNP

Well, I know exactly what happened now, and exactly why.  I'll get pics up in a few.  Knowing what happened, and why it happened, means I won't do that again.  I changed something before this trip, and I knew I was risking it - but it was a short trip!  :lmao:

Cause Of Failure:   Detonation, directly from the fuel octane rating.  I built this engine as a pump-gas engine, but 93-octane minimum.  I was running (mixed up) a full 5-gallon jug of 91 octane, with the 2-stroke oil.  Previously, I've never, ever run this engine on anything but (mixed 5-gallon can) of 2 gallons 110 octane race gas, with 3 gallons of 91 octane.  Figured I'd risk it this time.  ONE other time, I made an experiment, and it worked, 5 years ago.  I should have followed through with that, this time, too, and I wouldn't be spending money.  Thank God it's a 2-stroke, so I won't be spending alot of money... 

MASSIVE piston erosion on the exhaust side of the piston, and it damaged the cylinder.  I'll be boring this cylinder out, and not just replacing a piston set. 

IMG_0072.thumb.JPG.1dc2170320353d857acda93471889b03.JPG

Rings exposed, the piston got ate up that bad.  Damaged the front of the cylinder, the Det was bad enough.  You can see that in the pics. 

IMG_0073.thumb.JPG.c8b8c91162ad2b9002ba933a064f9dcc.JPG

No major signs of Pre-Ignition - which would mean I had the carb jetting wrong, and was running this thing lean as fuk.  That will burn a hole in the middle of the piston in short order, and pit the fuk out of the face of the piston.  There's some minor pitting there, but that's caused by the massive Detonation going on.  When looking at causes of failure in an engine, there are rules...   Detonation, over time, will ALWAYS cause Pre-Ignition.  Pre-Ignition does not always cause Detination. 

So, problem solved, and I know why - I took a chance, with the gas octane rating.  One bottle of Justice Brothers Octane Treatment, into my 5 gallons of 91 Octane gas, on an engine rated for 93 Octane minimum, would have solved the problem...   I've tested this about 5 years ago, and I ran a bottle of the JB Octane Booster on a 5-gallon can of 87 octane gas, and the bike RIPPED...   @JBMatt remembers this test...  

Had the stuff at the shop, too, before I headed out, and it wasn't even on my mind, with everything else going on...  I forgot...   This piston gave me a good life, though, and it gave it's ALL, and it was rippin' - right before it blew...   :lmao:

You can see the top of the jug damage here, right when "the squeeze" it's at it's max, and the spark plug goes off...  

IMG_0076.thumb.JPG.035640f3455dda1184f6ebdf31c9ec15.JPG

IMG_0077.thumb.JPG.a3347da46c81a56cbd2c1414b8e9b02d.JPG

The good news is this would cost me $226.50 to fix, plus boring the cylinder.  But, there's head damage, in the dome...

IMG_0078.thumb.JPG.740fbb7cd65d19360344ff813e5cf1af.JPG

IMG_0079.thumb.JPG.75fbc0fc1a0a5f10ce903c25f6d2807b.JPG

Those pits in the dome, again caused by some massive Detonation, which LED TO the Pre-Ignition, pitted the dome.  Those hot parts coming off the front of the piston - cause an explosion in the cylinder BEFORE the spark plug ignited - and that is Pre-Ignition.  THAT SHIIT is what cause the few pits in the piston, especially those two right on the piston where the transfer ports are - and at the back of the piston, and in the dome of the head, where the intake port is...

So, screw me, my head doesn't have a replaceable dome in it - I bought that before they were doing that option.  So, a new upgraded head with a replaceable dome is gonna run me another $114.00.  I'll be into the repair for $323.47 with a $17.03 discount.  Plus the labor I have to pay the guy to rebuild it... 

Edited by 98Z5V

7 minutes ago, DNP said:

Put something Suzuki on there...didn’t ya? That’ll break it every time.  Hopefully you got to have a little fun before she popped. I’m seriously missing some sand. I probably would have been down for a day trip. 

NO!  No Suzuki parts on that bike!   :thefinger:   Sadly enough, the 34-year old coolant res has a crack in it - and I know that was discontinued YEARS AGO from Honda.  So, I've been thinking about putting the Yamaha YFZ-450 coolant res on there, and making it work.  AAAcccck! 

Aaack! Bill the Cat | Bill the cat, Cat art, Cartoonist

Someone started reproducing the Honda 250R coolant res, with the cap, so I'll be dropping $90 on that one...  

And you guys thought gun parts were expensive...   :embarrassed::laffs:  Thank God is wasn't a 4-stroke blow-up. I'd be in for anywhere from $1200 to $2500, just in parts alone...   :banana:

22 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Well that sucks, how long did you run it before you noticed something wasn't right?

Just got into the big stuff, through all the little stuff and medium stuff - really RIPPIN' into the big hills and railin' it - and that last one big climb got it.  We were 4.6 mile in, by GPS. 

So, it didn't take long for 91 octane to take out an engine built on 93 octane minimum.  But, just like a 2-stroke...   "IT WAS RUNNING GREAT RIGHT BEFORE IT BLEW!!!..." :banana:

That last big climb, it should have been rippin'...   and I had to downshift from 3rd on the pipe - on a normally easy climb?!...   to 2nd...   THEN I had to grab 1st to get to the top?!!?   You gotta be KIDDING ME here?!   Last hill before that on the climb, I was wheelying over the top in 3rd in the pipe, and had to let out from the massive wheelie over the top crest.  Then this climb...  And then it stopped running...   Forever...   :lmao:  I tested it by pushing the kicker over by hand...  and knew it was done, right then, if I can do that...  TOASTED!!!   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

@98Z5V   Well I got you in the genius Department all over again.  Never mind the comparison on gun part prices,  you got a brain that don't stop.  I walked out of the gin mill one day to help a plumber because he needed a helper on an emergency.  He fixed a yellow brass ( weak stuff to begin with) 4 elbow turn and I thought him a genius.  I didn't know any mechanical stuff at the time.  I worked radar and radios.  Anyhow I ended up,  with the help of 3 heavy combat jarheads, who dragged me out of bed into a plumbing crew.  I spent the next 40 years plumbing.  You are someone who should have a youngster you could teach all your tricks to.  Sort of a sidekick and pass all your knowledge to.  I know I'm jumping into your stuff and offering advice,  and remember the last time I did.  Your buddies jumped onto my shite,  as if you needed saving. However when I see an Ace I call an Ace.

The guy knows a little...that’s for sure. I’m surprised we haven’t polished and ported the gas port in our barrels yet or run them through some sort of flow bench. I wonder what we could get out of a polished (inside - I know the outside won’t help - I’m only part windowlicker you know) gas tube?  That might be the next big niche for stupid crap to sell people that solves a problem that doesn’t exist.

Awwwww 2 strokes  I used to make my living on the end of a chainsaw I fell timber for 25 years I still have one of my old falling saws I fired it up last year could not believe it still runs anyway it is ported and polished Husquvarna  and will turn almost 12000 RPMs and was the best limbing saw I ever had... 2 strokes are crazy....

14 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

When you get it fixt, need to try this.lol

THAT IS FUCKIN' SICK!!!   :banana::lmao:

He even had a chute on the bike, so it didn't burn in!!!   :laffs:

That looks like the big hill in Dumont Dunes, too.  I'd be down to do that - but no way would I risk this 2-stroke.  Nope.  I'd need a junker bike to run that madness.  Pull something like that on a holiday weekend out at Glamis - up north - people would lose their shiit!...  

7 hours ago, DNP said:

The guy knows a little...that’s for sure. I’m surprised we haven’t polished and ported the gas port in our barrels yet or run them through some sort of flow bench. I wonder what we could get out of a polished (inside - I know the outside won’t help - I’m only part windowlicker you know) gas tube?  That might be the next big niche for stupid crap to sell people that solves a problem that doesn’t exist.

Sadly, all the torque specs to put this engine back together used to be in my head.  I'll probably have to look them up again to get this bastard back together.  If I don't put the piston in backwards...  :bitchslap::laffs:

56 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

THAT IS FUCKIN' SICK!!!   :banana::lmao:

He even had a chute on the bike, so it didn't burn in!!!   :laffs:

That looks like the big hill in Dumont Dunes, too.  I'd be down to do that - but no way would I risk this 2-stroke.  Nope.  I'd need a junker bike to run that madness.  Pull something like that on a holiday weekend out at Glamis - up north - people would lose their shiit!...  

CR500 could do it. Just sayin. 

2 minutes ago, DNP said:

CR500 could do it. Just sayin. 

You think I would risk that bike, and the parachute on it?!  No way, man.  It WOULD do it - launch me to the moon!  I wouldn't trust the parachute on that bike, to even try it.  There's no way I can replace that bike, for what I have in it.  It's a SKEERY Ripper!  I need my Depends on to even ride that motherfucker. 

Pulled the jug tonight.  Big-end bearing on the connecting rod is GOOD!  Hell, even the wristpin bearing is still good, but I'll put a new one in there anyway  - for another $12, it's nuts not to.  The carbon fiber reeds in the Boyesen RAD Valve are still excellent, so they don't need replaced, either.  Not even any heat damage on the bottom side of the piston.  This was all Detonation that did this, because Dumbass used 91 instead of mixing 2:3 of the 110 Racegas:91 Octane...   :lmao:

8 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Pulled the jug tonight.  Big-end bearing on the connecting rod is GOOD!  Hell, even the wristpin bearing is still good, but I'll put a new one in there anyway  - for another $12, it's nuts not to.  The carbon fiber reeds in the Boyesen RAD Valve are still excellent, so they don't need replaced, either.  Not even any heat damage on the bottom side of the piston.  This was all Detonation that did this, because Dumbass used 91 instead of mixing 2:3 of the 110 Racegas:91 Octane...   :lmao:

That dumbass. :lmao:. He should have known.

Glad it was not worse.