• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ambitious Fool

Joshua

My name is Joshua, from upstate SC. I'm 23 and certainly a novice in the world of rifles, with basically only a year of competition shooting air rifles in high school. I'm here because my wife and I are expecting a child, and it's time to step up my game! The M&P Shield in the night stand is no longer adequate! I'm interested in building an AR 308, and I'm ready to learn! 

Welcome to the forum.  What fuels your desire for a 308AR, besides the obvious?  Do you have other rifles?  What is the desired task of the rifle? 

I don't want to discourage you from getting what you want.  However, it is not the best time to try to build one.  BCGs are especially hard to find right now.

5 hours ago, Joshua said:

My name is Joshua, from upstate SC. I'm 23 and certainly a novice in the world of rifles, with basically only a year of competition shooting air rifles in high school. I'm here because my wife and I are expecting a child, and it's time to step up my game! The M&P Shield in the night stand is no longer adequate! I'm interested in building an AR 308, and I'm ready to learn! 

^^^  This is interesting, very much.  I'm surprised that there's still a school that has any "Rifle-Anything" involved - and it's badass that you were IN one that still let it happen.  I'd love to hear about that program (SC, very cool!), no need to give up city and local details...   and also what it was like.  What did you shoot?  What were the targets, distances, etc?

Very cool.   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

And, just to reinforce what @Armed Eye Doc said, what is the purpose of your rifle? I'm reminded of the movie "Robocop" where one of the bad guys has just gotten a military grade weapon that he uses to shoot a fire hydrant into oblivion: "State of the art bang-bang!" Is that what you need, or could you make do with something not quite so potent?

On 4/23/2021 at 10:47 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum.  What fuels your desire for a 308AR, besides the obvious?  Do you have other rifles?  What is the desired task of the rifle? 

I don't want to discourage you from getting what you want.  However, it is not the best time to try to build one.  BCGs are especially hard to find right now.

Well I had an AM-15 from Anderson Manufacturing. I sold it and bought the handgun because my wife didn't feel like she could use it effectively if she needed to. So I would want a rifle to be viable for hunting SC game and defense generally. I shoot lefty so I would rather have something on the AR platform instead of say a bolt action. As for the building issue, I have no illusions about the state of firearms and ammo in our current political climate. I expect it to take a year or longer just to purchase parts. 

On 4/24/2021 at 12:39 AM, 98Z5V said:

^^^  This is interesting, very much.  I'm surprised that there's still a school that has any "Rifle-Anything" involved - and it's badass that you were IN one that still let it happen.  I'd love to hear about that program (SC, very cool!), no need to give up city and local details...   and also what it was like.  What did you shoot?  What were the targets, distances, etc?

Very cool.   :thumbup:

So it was a part of the JROTC program. All I remember about the actual air rifles is that they had the circle-in-circle iron sights, the canisters of compressed air loaded into the stock, and we shot little lead pellets. I believe it was 20-30 yards with the target about the size of a quarter. In a match you shoot in prone, kneeling, and standing. 10 shots each, receiving 0-10 points per shot. The action of shooting wasn't particularly fun, but seeing the improvement in your marksmanship was. It was tough though. To be competitive you had to shoot a perfect prone, and atleast a mostly perfect kneeling. I wish everyone would do it. It was excellent for teaching how to handle a firearm and how to shoot one. 

Sharps (SRC) has their .308AR BCGs available right now - well, as of this email...  They're good.  :thumbup:

They still have 26 in stock right now, and that price ain't bad.

https://www.srcarms.com/shop/specials/sharps-308-relia-bolt-carrier-group-complete/?utm_source=Mailchimp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=04%2F21 BCG Campaign&utm_term=308&mc_cid=52d1fc16c1&mc_eid=b9dec104c6

Sharps 308 Relia Bolt Carrier Group Complete

Edited by 98Z5V

On 4/25/2021 at 7:38 AM, unforgiven said:

Btw...you’re an A-hole for getting me looking at these things again. I spent a few hours yesterday reading up and trying to decide what route to go again. This is not the time to spend 3k on an air rifle setup. I’m doing my best to refrain. Right now I’ve almost convinced myself to stay around 700 on the rifle and to start off with a hand pump.  

34 minutes ago, DNP said:

Btw...you’re an A-hole for getting me looking at these things again. I spent a few hours yesterday reading up and trying to decide what route to go again. This is not the time to spend 3k on an air rifle setup. I’m doing my best to refrain. Right now I’ve almost convinced myself to stay around 700 on the rifle and to start off with a hand pump.  

Is their any time to spend 3k on an air rifle?