• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Just ordered a new scope

I just ordered a Athlon Midas Gen 2 HD 4.5-27x50 mm.  What mount should I use on a DPMS LR 308?  It is a 30mm tube,  Should I get 0 MOA or a 20 MOA?  I would like to stay under $100.  One piece cantilever mount.  Should I try to lap a one piece mount?  How high should it be?  The more I type the more questions I have.  Sorry.  I have put scopes on bolt guns but these AR rifles are a little different.   Thanks       🙄:bitchslap:🙄

Steve

P.S.   Should I get a sun shade for it?

Edited by Steve crawford

LaRue LT-158 mount, in 30mm.  Trust me.  It has 10 MOA built in, and it's all you'll need, with that scope. 

Select "Legacy VFZ Mount", and it takes $50 off the price.  You're notgetting anything good for a hundred bucks, so brace yourself right now.  The LaRue is $210 with the regular QDs, but the VFZ mounts make it $160. 

Do you want to fit your eye to the scope, or your scope to your eye? I'm anal about this subject. I make various spacers and mock ups until I get the scope exactly where I want it for the most natural comfortable cheek weld. I measure that height off, and then I find the mount or rings that put me as close to that measurement as possible. 

I'm a dedicated fan of the LT-158 mount, for an AR, with it's 10 MOA built in, for AR guns up to the 50mm objective, and sometimes a little more.  They work, out to 1k yards, easily, if the scope has enough internal travel.  His Athlon scope does.  I have enough Athlons, mounted in LT-158s, on ARs, to prove this. 

He can't go wrong with that combo, no guesswork, no measuring, just order the mount. It's flawless out to 1k.  :thumbup:

That's my Money-Back Guarantee.  If it DON'T work, I'll pay you for the mount, plus the shipping that you had to incur, PLUS the shipping to me.  Zero loss on your part - just time.

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

LaRue LT-158 mount, in 30mm.  Trust me.  It has 10 MOA built in, and it's all you'll need, with that scope. 

Select "Legacy VFZ Mount", and it takes $50 off the price.  You're notgetting anything good for a hundred bucks, so brace yourself right now.  The LaRue is $210 with the regular QDs, but the VFZ mounts make it $160. 

There must have been a price increase.  LaRue site list LT-158 at $258 for both type of mount,  I might have spent $160 but wright now I would have to find a new home if I spent $260 on a scope mount.  If you can give me a link to the lower price I might  just PULL THE TRIGER on one,     Thanks for the replies.

Steve 

12 hours ago, Steve crawford said:

There must have been a price increase.  LaRue site list LT-158 at $258 for both type of mount,  I might have spent $160 but wright now I would have to find a new home if I spent $260 on a scope mount.  If you can give me a link to the lower price I might  just PULL THE TRIGER on one,     Thanks for the replies.

Steve 

Sure as hell, price went up.  I should have know it when the MBT-2S trigger went up.  I'll call them tomorrow and find out what the deal is, because they owe me another LT-158 from an outstanding order.   I'll interrogate, and report back. 

18 hours ago, shooterrex said:

I just bought one on these for my Creedmoor.

Screenshot_2021-08-18-03-33-25.jpg

I put that same mount on the 12.5" 6 ARC - because I'm still waiting on that LT-158.  I like the Athlon mount, and probably won't be taking it off that gun. 

Edited by 98Z5V

On 8/18/2021 at 7:26 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'll call them tomorrow and find out what the deal is, because they owe me another LT-158 from an outstanding order.   I'll interrogate, and report back. 

Got my shipping notification today, for the 158 mount and another piece, which was placed on 27 Feb...   I called anyway, and got good info.  ALL prices went up last Saturday.  There was no was they could keep the prices the same, with what they pay for materials now, in this hysteria, so they raised prices across the board, on all items.  I asked about my two items, just to see which one hung the order up - he said first it was the 158, and right before those came back into stock, the other one went out-of-stock.   Combination of both, at the worst possible different times, is what got me.  I asked about the prices, with VFZ usually being $50 cheaper, but now they're both the same price, and he agreed that was odd, but doesn't know why they decided that. 

Anyway, because it was an order from Feb, the VFZ 158 mount was $160.  

Just took my wife to the doctor this afternoon.  After X-rays and test,  She has a blood clot at the back of her right knee.  Lucky we caught it when we did.  Some HIGH DOLLAR blood thinner for a couple of weeks and she should be OK.  May wait a few weeks to get the mount.  The meds cost almost as much as the scope even with insurance.  That is AFORDABLE HEALTH CARE..   Just thankful that we have the money to pay for it.  Some people don't.   It all works out in the end.    She is worth every penny.   😊😊😊

Steve

On 8/19/2021 at 10:18 PM, Steve crawford said:

Just took my wife to the doctor this afternoon.  After X-rays and test,  She has a blood clot at the back of her right knee.  Lucky we caught it when we did.  Some HIGH DOLLAR blood thinner for a couple of weeks and she should be OK.  May wait a few weeks to get the mount.  The meds cost almost as much as the scope even with insurance.  That is AFORDABLE HEALTH CARE..   Just thankful that we have the money to pay for it.  Some people don't.   It all works out in the end.    She is worth every penny.   😊😊😊

Steve

Sorry to hear about your wife Steve. Those new Oral Xa inhibitors are pricey, but the alternative would be two subcutaneous injections per day with a Low Molecular Weight Heparin, albeit cheaper. I used to market that stuff. Glad you caught it early.

I took rat poison ( Warfarin ) for about five years.  That was before my Heart Transplant.  Lots of side effects.  I am glad they have the new blood thinners now.  Just would like the Affordable Care Act to be more affordable.  Swelling is down and pain is about gone. She is starting to get up and move around some now.  The man up there is always looking out for me and my family.  🙂🙂🙂

Steve

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 12:34 AM, Steve crawford said:

I took rat poison ( Warfarin ) for about five years.  That was before my Heart Transplant.  Lots of side effects.  I am glad they have the new blood thinners now.  Just would like the Affordable Care Act to be more affordable.  Swelling is down and pain is about gone. She is starting to get up and move around some now.  The man up there is always looking out for me and my family.  🙂🙂🙂

Steve

Yes He is, and these guys are looking out for you too! So is she doing better these days Steve??