imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, washguy said:

Your safe ,along with a few other brothers here she adores you.... I dunno why?:laffs: Wash

Because I said she looks GREAT in camo face paint, after you sent me that pic of her that she said you better not send ANYONE?...   :banana:

That was a trap...  I set it intentionally...  

• 2 weeks later...

This was from last summer; during my seven days of wood fired meat binge. A little bit of wood ash never hurt anybody... That's a few year old maple log that has local history, don't remember what sauce I was using; didn't seem to matter much with a wood fire. That week ended in a bad way unfortunately.

Has nothing to do with the lime kiln I built around the same time; cooks limestone at about 2000˚ F. It runs with a cap now of course... Side charger; and gets to 2100F just fine with lawn refuse; I simply don't need it to be that hot.

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3502.JPG

All true; I was surprised by the versatility of the design in the end. I did play with forging briefly last fall. Cast iron would require a lining and trap door; but neither would harm its ability to be used as a lime kiln. 

I originally looked at zirconia brick; but couldn't find it locally. Importing a pallet from china was an option, but that design wouldn't have been very portable. This contains 4" of kaowool, both the standard 2300F; and 2600F zirconia in the hot zone. I originally expected to need forced air and/or coal to hit the required temperature; but it runs fine on whatever wood I can shove through the 4" access ports. The smaller ports are usually plugged, but can be used with thermocouples if I need temperature monitoring. The first few firings (including the one shown), I tried to top load the furnace. If you couldn't tell; thats relatively dangerous, and ultimately proved inefficient in terms of fuel consumption as well. 

This spring I'm planning to drop it off the pedestal, since that proved unnecessary. I also want to design a new cap so I can adjust air flow; even with a full load of limestone it pulls more draft than I would like. With enough hands on deck, there is no problem cooking limestone and forging at the same time. There was even enough insulation left over to build a casting furnace as well.

St Louis ribs fer lunch today! 3-2-1 method o'course. Smoked mac-n-cheese to follow.

Got em wrapped up right now for the "2" with butter, brown sugar, and honey to keep em company.

I sure as hell don't miss getting up every 30 minutes to check on the smoke/fire. If you like smoked meat and don't own a pellet smoker, you just don't love yourself. :laffs:

20190317_093136.jpg

20190317_093326.jpg

20 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Very nice ? what smoker do you have brother? I have the Green Mountain.

I went with the Rec Tec Stampede last year. I love it. Perfect for my family. The only downside is, I can no longer order a steak at a restaurant. Nothing comes close to a reverse seared ribeye, cooked at home.