• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Universal Vise Block!!!

Robocop1051

Our insiders at Armalite have been holding out on us! They have a nifty little device that looks LEAGUES better than the standard vise blocks that are available to us...

Better still... You can use it on AR-15's and it's .308 big brother!!

http://www.armalite.com/itemform.aspx?Item=15901202

ArmaLite’s Flat Top Vise Jaws are a new, unique set of Jaws that we developed specifically to hold all flat top AR-10 and M-15 upper receivers (including our new SPR Mod 1).  These Jaws hold the upper receiver in a sideways horizontal position, making barrel replacement easier and more secure than ever before.

These Jaws clamp onto the top and bottom of the upper receiver, so there is less chance of deforming the upper receiver when using them.  However, it is still important not to clamp the vise too tightly.

NOTE:

To allow you to bolt the Jaws to a vise of your choice, the Jaws come to you undrilled.  They may be used undrilled, or you may drill and bolt them to your vise for a secure, permanent application.

15901202LARGE700.jpg

on%20page%20images%5Clarge%5C15901202%281%29.jpg

on%20page%20images%5Clarge%5C15901202%282%29.jpg

I'm ordering this ASAP. I have been using the clam shell style for years, but that only works if you have a forged AR15. All my billet Mega receivers are too bulky to fit in the clam shell.

Armalite's idea is great, but it still has an "oops" factor. That "oops" is don't tighten the vise too much. Their design has a flaw, in that the receiver is being held at its weakest point, the lower side of the receiver, thus creating the potential of crushing or tweaking the receiver, especially if one's Torque wrench is set to 145 lb. ft. rather than 45 lb. ft. (Yes, it does happen - don't ask and I won't have to lie - LOL).

I made my vise block (3 piece unit) and it works on both the AR10's and AR15's, and when used properly, CANNOT crush the receiver, and CANNOT be overtightened. My block secures the receiver on its beefiest part, the Picatinny rail. My upper block is a piece of Phenolic machined to fit the Picatinny rail (thank goodness that is a standard dimension), the lower is two pieces of 3/8" steel plate machined square and joined at right angles to fit in the receiver and is a tad bit longer than the depth between the bottom end of the receiver and the inside of the Picatinny rail (where the charging handle resides), and finally, the alignment bar (keeps the 3/8" material centered in the receiver and eliminates the possibility of the setup twisting). When assembled to a receiver, crank the vise as much as you want, I doubt you'll crush the Picatinny rail, and there won't be any receiver tweaking.

With this setup, you need only change the alignment bar to use on either the AR10's or AR15's

post-629-136297282781_thumb.jpg

post-629-136297282791_thumb.jpg

post-629-136297282809_thumb.jpg

post-629-136297282825_thumb.jpg

I would use that in a heartbeat to install a rail system or barrel nut - I've made my own like that before.  If you use it to take off a rail or barrel nut, you run the risk of breaking the upper receiver at the front of the ejection port, from it's opening, straight down to the bottom of the upper - CRACK!

Ask me how I know...  :o

Maybe this design is better than my own stuff, but very early on, when building, I made my own that were much like this.  As soon as I removed a barrel nut and trashed an upper, I bought a set of clam-shells to hold the uppers.

Again, I'd use this all day long to build them...  <thumbsup>

If you use it to take off a rail or barrel nut, you run the risk of breaking the upper receiver at the front of the ejection port, from it's opening, straight down to the bottom of the upper - CRACK!

I had thought about that initially, that's why the alignment bar. Using the alignment bar prevents the twist in the receiver that could cause the "Crack" you refer to.

Not impressed , I'll continue to use my altered clam shell & DPMS type upper holder for the 308's.

Impressed or not, it works for me.  I'd rather use tools of my own design and have the satisfaction of saying "I built this rifle"  as opposed to saying "I assembled this rifle".....

Just my 2¢ ;-)

• 1 year later...

Can anyone give reports as to how well this tool functions?  Not a fan of the "claw" style. 

Works EXTREMELY well......much better than the clamshell crap. Mine is a bit different that the one above. Mine has pin holes for the lower block. I have yet to ever use the pins.

DSC02629.jpg

Edited by FAAWrenchBender

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Farkle bought the KAC tool that engages the barrel extension inside the upper. It was super easy to use and didn't break the bank. If I remember correctly, it was good for the LR308, the AR10 and the AR15...

The Knight's barrel extension wrench is compatible with LR308/SR-25, AR-10, and SR-15 barrel extensions. It unfortunately doesn't work with the AR-15 one. I have a Geissele Reaction Rod for that.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Whoa! The first gap was 2 years. Then the second gap was 4 years.

It seems to be multiplying by itself. Hmmmm

Will it come back again in 16 years? :laffs:

I only ask because my name rsquared (R2) defines the mathematics of the equation. :lmao:

Guess we'll have to wait around until 2036 to find out.

20 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Guess we'll have to wait around until 2036 to find out.

Someone will come along and fuk it up WAY before then, brother.  I'm just sayin'... 

The REAL answer to a universal vise block is the Geissele Reaction Rod.  They make it in small-frame and large-frame.  It's the answer.  :thumbup:

It's the reason vise-blocks died, just as M-LOK is the reason KeyMod died. 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 11:16 AM, dprice38444 said:

I was browsing at Brownells and found that rod, ordered it, but haven't received it yet. Any idea how it compares to the gazelle reaction rod?

3 hours ago, Bear said:

I was browsing at Brownells and found that rod, ordered it, but haven't received it yet. Any idea how it compares to the gazelle reaction rod?

same/same.  It'll work just fine.  This is my preferred method, for everything these days.  I have both geissele's, (big/little) and there's no AR that can't be built with them.  Same tool, different name.  Pretty damn tough to try to wear one of them out - probably never happen. 

Going thru all the shipping company lies. According to UPS, I'll get my handguard and scope today, but they said that yesterday too.

According to FedEx, the Brownells torque rod is scheduled to be delivered Saturday, but since they don't do home deliveries on the weekend, it'll be Monday.

I really hate waiting for parts. Almost as bad as "out of stock".

4 hours ago, Bear said:

Going thru all the shipping company lies. According to UPS, I'll get my handguard and scope today, but they said that yesterday too.

According to FedEx, the Brownells torque rod is scheduled to be delivered Saturday, but since they don't do home deliveries on the weekend, it'll be Monday.

I really hate waiting for parts. Almost as bad as "out of stock".

FedEx Ground/ home does do Saturday delivery. So you might actually receive it then.