• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did my best to take the same 3 images with a side view mirror on the Depstech ($20 amazon special) borescope. I'm not entirely sure if the focus is exactly the same, but the image quality appears no different to my eye.

Notable differences in the hardware: The semi-flexible part of the cable is thinner and less rigid on the Depstech model only 3.6mm diameter where the Teslong is 4.0mm and noticeably more rigid. I noticed the Depstech model immediately started getting hot; and claims a current draw of 1.0A where the USB specification only allows 500mA. That could shorten the life of, or completely kill the LED illumination if left unchecked (I guess don't leave the lights on if you're not using it). Depstech only comes with 2 mirrors, where the Teslong comes with 2 mirrors, and a 3rd mirror with built in magnet for retrieving things. Depstech; as a result of the slimmer semi-rigid part, comes in a smaller case, and can be coiled up smaller.

Both borescopes have the exact same resolution of 1280 x 720. Both come with triple interface, USB 2.0, microUSB (for OTG), and USB Type-C.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.09.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.10.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.10.38 PM.png

Nice review, thanks Lane and BeltFed, I copy cat ordered the 20 dollar special.  I will be looking for anomolies in my Faxon Barrel. Either I have a bad scope, bad ring torque, bad ammo, or just a plain bad Barrel.  I’m going to take a peek at my gas port, like looking up in then belly of a whale!  I bought some Hoppes Copper remover, maybe there is copper stuck in the barrel.  Pretty cheap way to find out.

43 minutes ago, Lane said:

Did my best to take the same 3 images with a side view mirror on the Depstech ($20 amazon special) borescope. I'm not entirely sure if the focus is exactly the same, but the image quality appears no different to my eye.

Notable differences in the hardware: The semi-flexible part of the cable is thinner and less rigid on the Depstech model only 3.6mm diameter where the Teslong is 4.0mm and noticeably more rigid. I noticed the Depstech model immediately started getting hot; and claims a current draw of 1.0A where the USB specification only allows 500mA. That could shorten the life of, or completely kill the LED illumination if left unchecked (I guess don't leave the lights on if you're not using it). Depstech only comes with 2 mirrors, where the Teslong comes with 2 mirrors, and a 3rd mirror with built in magnet for retrieving things. Depstech; as a result of the slimmer semi-rigid part, comes in a smaller case, and can be coiled up smaller.

Both borescopes have the exact same resolution of 1280 x 720. Both come with triple interface, USB 2.0, microUSB (for OTG), and USB Type-C.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.09.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.10.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 10.10.38 PM.png

Pic quality looks decent. Thanks for the info 👍. My $20 special  is being delivered Thursday I believe.  I may use as a backup to my Teslong or take it to work. 

2 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Pic quality looks decent.

Looks like the cheaper $20 borescope might have a lens with different Field Of View built on it; doesn't seem to be any difference in the mirrors.

I'll try to figure out the actual FOV angles, and do a few shots from each scope without the side-view-mirrors when I get a few minutes to mess around.

3 minutes ago, Lane said:

Looks like the cheaper $20 borescope might have a lens with different Field Of View built on it; doesn't seem to be any difference in the mirrors.

I'll try to figure out the actual FOV angles, and do a few shots from each scope without the side-view-mirrors when I get a few minutes to mess around.

Sounds good. Are the mirrors interchangeable between brands?

13 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Are the mirrors interchangeable between brands?

Mirrors are indeed interchangeable. I removed them both for these images. The FOV is different between cameras; the Teslong is the picture with blue hue. 

Both images are at max brightness of the onboard lighting. The Teslong may be limiting current to keep it from overheating and burning out the LEDs at the expense of max brightness; though that doesn't seem to be any harm in scoping a barrel. The Depstech at max brightness gets hot to the touch in seconds; and could likely runaway thermally in a few hours killing that illumination. If someone has an extra $20 to waste... They are welcome to try it.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 11.30.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 11.32.14 PM.png

19 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Do these work to verify the gas block is lined up or at least not blocking the port?

I think the answer it no; I was operating from across the room looking at a TV image of the camera, so I couldn't snap a picture. 

I gave it the best chances I could imagine, removed the lock ring for the side-view-mirror so I could get a further outward focal distance. Even still, with the brightest LED setting; the gas port looks like a black dot. Barely any depth of hole. I certainly didn't have enough light to be able to see inside it. I'm not sure what would happen if you could get a good light source into the other end of the gas tube though. Even a cheap laser pointer might be enough light to be able to see something. I still don't know if it would be too far out of focus to be of much value. And it would take me a bit to setup the laser scenario. 

Edited by Lane

In case you don't want so scroll to see the borescope compare. They are certainly different. And the cheaper one might be better for some people. Really depends on your desires. Side-by-side: $20 Depstech on the left, $45 Teslong on the right.

At the very least. That FOV difference when using a mirror is a big deal. But it's not the same when shooting open scope looking down the barrel. There, the focal distance is also clearly different.

*** Updated final image of a Teslong camera. Turns out that blue hue is a weird thing when white balancing the camera when inside the barrel. If you turn on the LEDs AFTER insertion it won't find a true white. You have to do it outside the barrel. Didn't have that problem turning on the LEDs inside the barrel with the $20 Depstech, seemed to "know" what white was already; or at least figure it out.

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 1.38.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 1.43.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 1.46.14 AM.png

Edited by Lane