• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Liquid cooled Desert Eagle?

MaDuce

A friend of mine swears up and down that the people who make the Desert Eagle (which would be MRI, IMI CMI and IWI) make or made a liquid cooled Desert Eagle and swears he has one.

Firstly, I AM aware of the use of water jackets in early machine guns as well as some modern artillery and I DID ask to see his Desert Eagles, which he has not shown me yet though to be fair to him, he hasn't had much of an opportunity to do so as of yet. Furthermore, I myself have a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum and helped CMI improve the followers to the Desert Eagle factory magazines in exchange for several magazines for my own gun. Needless to say, I am no fool when it comes to the inner workings of this gun. To me the biggest problem with a liquid cooling system for the Desert Eagle is that; for it to work effectively it would have to encircle the barrel and the barrel of the Desert Eagle is heavily integrated with many other functions of the gun, so adding a water jacket to a Desert Eagle, much like any other modern handgun would cripple most of the guns other mandatory functions if you could even do it without downright removing essential components like the slide.

But the fellow also says that this is well known and well used technology in modern firearms and has even gone so far as accusing me of being poorly educated, way behind or something like that for not being aware of it.

I already know the overall truth as I have pointed out, but literally for the sake of argument, can someone explain to me any truth behind any of these claims, if anything at all?

Edited by MaDuce

Well if the Desert Eagle got any bigger, it could use the same holster as a Browning M1917 water cooled machine gun. SERIOUSLY, I don't see how, and I really don't see a need, unless it was a machine pistol.

LOL. Yeah, that's another point. Have you ever seen the cycle rate on a Desert Eagle? It's an AK47 in slow motion. That in a gun with a 7 (.50AE) to 10 (.357) round magazine. I watched a destruction test on an AR15 which has a similar barrel thickness but produces much more friction heat. They went through something like 300-500 rounds in full auto while reloading at a pretty modest rate before the barrel finally gave. Desert Eagle is probably 1/3 the cycle speed of an AR15 and; at most, 1/3 the ammo capacity.

I'll have to call MRI and ask them if they ever managed to get a barrel failure during destruction testing but I personally can't see how you're going to pull that off even intentionally. The Desert Eagle has to be pretty low on the list of guns that could ever possibly benefit in any practical way from a water jacket.

LOL. Somehow I knew someone was going to mention something about dunking the gun in liquid.

The cycle rate on a Desert eagle can be high.  I've seen where they can even triple on a person, without the person knowing.  I generally try to be open minded (within reason) but, a water cooled desert eagle, I'm not biting.

I'm with you 100% on everything but the cycle rate of a Desert Eagle. Maybe the .357 is super fast but the .44 through .50AE....no way. You can actually feel the slide "thadump" when you fire it much like an AK but even slower.

It's for brewing your coffee in the morning. Feeds directly from your camelback.

20 or 30 rounds into the nearest bad guy and DING....coffee time.

Don't you guys know nothin?

HAY!! That's a great idea!!

Update. I called up MRI today with the speaker phone on and him very close and asked them if they do or ever made a liquid cooled Desert Eagle or know any aftermarket companies who make such an add on. He said no and I thanked him and hung up. Not another word has been said in this debate ever since.

LOL. Somehow I knew someone was going to mention something about dunking the gun in liquid.

I'm with you 100% on everything but the cycle rate of a Desert Eagle. Maybe the .357 is super fast but the .44 through .50AE....no way. You can actually feel the slide "thadump" when you fire it much like an AK but even slower.

It was a .357 and it cycled much faster than I'd ever guess.  The person got it fixed.

It was a .357 and it cycled much faster than I'd ever guess.  The person got it fixed.

The .357 Magnum MARK I shoots like a normal gun. But the .44 Magnum MARK VII up are totally different ballgames.

IMO, the .357 Magnum MARK I is the only Desert Eagle that's actually a practical firearm. The rest are just big fireworks with killing potential.

Despite what the owner says, the gun in this scene is actually a .44 Magnum MARK VII, not the claimed .50AE. The part where he's shooting at the wall gives a pretty good sense of how the gun really shoots. That is to say, the recoil you imagine by watching it is probably not far from the way it really shoots.

Edited by MaDuce