• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

98Z5V's Marlin 1895 GBL

98Z5V

Been holding out on most of you guys...  <lmao>

Christmas this year was a new rifle for me.  Brand new Marlin 1895 GBL, the big loop. 

I was in a local place looking at handgun sales, and I saw the rifle in the rack - I thought it was the 30/30 lever, so I asked to look at it.  As soon as I saw the barrel diameter, I knew it wasn't 30 caliber!  This rifle is a 45-70 Govt. 

I immediately called my resident Marlin lever gun expert, Jon.  I told him about the rifle, and he said he'd drive up to Casa Grande and look at it for me, so see if it was a "good Remlin, or Marlington..."  <thumbsup>   Some bad rifles made it into production after Remington bought Marlin, and Jon didn't want to see me get a bad one.

He called back a very short time later, and told me he'd call Sportsman's in Tucson, and see if they had one - they did.  He asked me if I wanted him to go over there and check it out, and then he tells me he'll call me back in 10 minutes...  <laughs>   He did call me back in 10 minutes, and tells me that it's a very good one, it's got my name and number tagged on it, and it's in the back on hold for a week.  See Heinz to pick it up....  :eek:

So, I drove my a$s down to Tucson and picked it up a week later, on the Saturday night before Christmas week.  That Sunday, I took it to the local shooting spot and put some ammo through it.  100 yards out was the steel target, standing (shooting offhand), 3rd round was on steel.  Pretty damn good considering it was literally straight out of the box, not lubed at all, just stuffed with 6 rounds of 45-70.  I love it!

Took it down to the Range Fest last week, and everybody got some through it.

Marlin1895GBL1_zps4aa6dc0a.jpg

I only bought one box of ammo for it initially - Remington Core-Lokt 405gr soft points.  A box of 20 of those things was $43!  I immediately started buying reloading components, and had to find them before the Range Fest.  Picked up a 50rd box of Hornady new unprimed brass, 250ct box of Laser Cast 405gr projectiles (with gas checks), and some IMR 3031 powder.  Been loading that to 50.0 grains, and that's what we were shooting at the Range Fest.  Good stuff.

I didn't clear the pic-taking event with TactiCat first, so he had to inspect the rifle before I could get any pictures...  <dontknow>

Marlin1895GBL2_zpsca48a515.jpg

I'll have a different sighting system on the way for it next week - no windage adjustment on that rear sight setup, and it shoots left.  That will change.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice gun Tom!! BUT.....................................................................................................

Can you spin that bitch & rapid fire it like Chuck Conners yet??!!!!!! LOL

Ray.

Nice , is that a Hammer extension already on it for a scope ?

Yep, came with it, so I put it on.  It's nice to use, already, with no optics.  Right thumb can go up and grab the side, instead of the center.  I like that thing.

I'm waiting for him to come up with some piggy-back loads...four 185gr JHPs stacked on top of one another in the case, moving at 1400fps.

Yeah, EFF THAT.  You show me someone that's done that already, and I'll try it.  If someone HAS tried that and hasn't died doing it, and you can provide positive proof - PPP - I'll load that $hit up and you can shoot it first...  <lmao>

if anyone wants to know what shooting this thing feels like, just stand behind an ill tempered horse and whack him in the balls with a stick. should be pretty similar.

I think it's less than like being kicked by a horse (a horse is a pu$sy anyway - try getting kicked by a DEER sometime...).

It's not really a sudden, sharp kick, like this:

HorseKick_zps5bsoqrrw.gif

It's more like being run over by a hippo...

Come on down!  We'll go talk to Heinz and discuss his experiments in .357 Maximum with multiple projectiles (which is a MUCH higher pressure round than standard .45-70).

Not sure if he's put together MIRVs for .45-70 or not.

With round ball, there's a great deal of info over on MO with both .357 and .45 Colt out of leee-vur guns.

have you chrono'ed that load yet?... I load real close to that for my T/C Encore 45-70, most excellent load, will let the air out of an animal quickly... those bullets are to hard to expand but the way their built they just cut a big hole with that semi wad cutter design...

have you chrono'ed that load yet?...

Not yet, but I need to... 

I can send you a box of Winchester Ranger T-series 230gr .45 ACP (I don't remember if they're +p or not).... you can pull the proj's and reuse them in the 45-70. Get those fuckers over 2k fps and they'll vaporize anything under 300 lbs.

I would LOVE to try that out, brother.  I have some crazy experiments in mind for this thing.

On another note, XS Sighting Systems Lever Rail fully installed now.  Front & rear sight replacement, along with the rail setup.  VERY NICE system!  Need to get it out and Zero, and I'll try to do that on Sunday.  Might have to work on an engine for a guy, and that would completely scrap my plans with this rifle. 

I need to see if a Primary Arms red dot can hang with this recoil... 

Didn't get to sight these in today, but I'll try to do it Tuesday. 

The XS Lever Rail sight system is a VERY nice sight setup!  The rear is elevation and windage adjustable, and comes with two different sized aperatures - 0.230" and 0.191" openings. It ships with the larger one already installed, but I immediately swapped to the smaller one.  Install is damn near self explanatory - easy to see what you need to do, and no need to read the directions at all. 

On the rear, you'll need to set it up for whatever range you want to zero, and it's not something that you'll be able to change on the fly.  Once it's set, it's set.  For windage adjustment, you have a set screw on each side that you tighten down. For elevation adjustment, the aperature threads up/down in 1/2 turn increments.  There are flats on the sides that the windage screws mate up against.  So, set it up for your range, and it's good.

The front sight isn't adjustable - just screws right to the barrel.  It's got a white-painted center section, and should be easy to pick up when sighting. 

Can't wait to shoot it and sight it now, with a 100-yard zero.  <thumbsup>

post-7-0-00532300-1421019889_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-28177000-1421019893_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-91316500-1421019899_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-72215400-1421019904_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-50845100-1421019909_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-20131500-1421019913_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-00144300-1421019919_thumb.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

I love these GBL's! Hey, Skinner makes a guarded adjustable sight for these Marlins that i think is pretty cool. I believe that it is a fully adjustable peep, with wings coming up to protect both front and rear sight. The look is love it or hate it... but I love it! My dad is looking for similar sights for his gbl, but i cant talk him into this specific set... lol

Now you need to get a Magpul research bfr in the same caliber! That would be quite the deer loadout!