Pricecheck on aisle 10

Lazerus2000

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By his mentality, we could also call everything a BAR10, and be correct.

He's a troll that refuses to learn, or listen.  Despite all the experience he states he has, he continually proves that he doesn't know very much at all.

You can't fix stupid.

A R-ose by any other name …

AR-10?

308AR?

AR308?

Big Chassis AR?

Cucumber or cabbage?

What does it really matter what we call the rose … we will know it by the beauty of its smell.

I am well aware that a particular manufacturer of modern AR type rifles has copyrighted the AR10 name.

SO WHAT??

Calling modern reproductions of many old classic items by the name of the original is common in business.  It does not mean the modern reproduction is the old classic.  It does not mean that the modern reproduction is the TRUE, REAL, by God’s Holy word, ONLY, ONE, version of the item.  It does not mean that the technical specifications are the same … it is merely a legal business maneuver, designed to cash in on the reputation of the original.

Just ask any motorcycle collector.

When I was a teenager I bought a beat up old INDIAN 45 motorcycle and got it running.  It was a classic … and it is now considered obsolete … ancient history … and a very very valuable collectible.  Just yesterday, at a stop light, a massive Vtwin motorcycle pulled up beside me and I read the name INDIAN on it.  Sure it was an “Indian” … some company bought the legal rights to the name, and sure, in some ways it may be much better than that old, classic INDIAN 45 I once owned, but it wasn’t a REAL Indian to me, and to most collectors.  Want to guess which is worth more on the market … the old obsolete original Indian, or the brand new shiny version??

I make, and will continue to make, the distinction between the old/classic/original AR10 rifles, with their larger bolt carrier outside diameter and buffer tube inside diameter, and all the modern AR15/AR10 HYBRIDS, which use the smaller diameter buffer tube, and usually as many AR15 parts as they can. We cannot know all the reasons why Stoner made the decision to use the AR15 sized buffer tube when he redesigned /  modernised his old design , but by doing so, he was brought hard up against the laws of physics. The Bolt Carrier/Buffer/Spring equation has to follow the laws of physics regarding action/reaction, mass and inertia. Given that the energy levels of the 7.62 NATO cartridge stay fairly constant, choosing to make the buffer tube smaller, required making the bolt carrier LONGER, with a reduced diameter tail, to approximate the same weight/mass/inertia. And while STONER was undoubtedly a genius, with good reasons for this decision, I suspect he did not make this choice due to technical reasons, looking for a way to improve the original design.  I suspect this decision was made for business, political, commonality of parts, procurement contracts, and cost cutting reasons.  All valid, but which compromised the engineering and the elegant balance that previously occurred between the larger diameter bolt carrier, and the larger buffer tube parts.

And that is where all the fun really started with all the modern AR15/AR10 hybrids.

I call these rifles AR15/AR10 hybrids.  And the Canadian government makes the same distinction. By the Canadian government legal definition, aka named specifically on the ORDER IN COUNCIL, AR15 rifles and any variant thereof are now restricted firearms. And the Canadian govt classifies all modern "Big Chassis" AR rifles as AR15 VARIANTS. So by Canadian legal definition ALL MODERN BIG CHASSIS AR rifles are variants of the AR15 … or as I call them, AR15/AR10 HYBRIDS.

While Canada may be a lightweight in the modern AR15/AR 10 hybrid market, due to our rather bizarre and unique gun law history, we probably have more of the ORIGINAL DUTCH/AI built AR 10 rifles inside our borders than any other country.  That gives us some heavy weight credibility.  And while our Canadian armed forces have not bought or issued many AR15/AR10 hybrids, the original contract competition was between Armalite and DPMS.  And Armalite AR10T won.  The current Canadian contract to replace the aging AR10T rifles is interesting.  The contract does not use the term AR 10, but is for a “Precision 7.62mm weapon “.

As described, the 'Precision 7.62mm Weapon' will be a gas-operated semi-automatic with "a lower receiver based upon an AR platform".

http://www.casr.ca/bg-army-precision-weapon-project.htm

As pointed out in one of my earlier posts, Wikiarms, who should/ know a bit about the subject, has made a list of all commonly available AR 10 type rifles.  They titled it AR-10 rifles.  Interesting isn’t it how Armalite does not show up till after DOZENS of other AR 10 type rifles from other manufacturers are listed??

http://www.wikiarms.com/group/ar10rifles

And GUNS magazine calls these type of rifles  “BIG CHASSIS ARs”

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0315/

And I find the terms 308ARand AR 308  rather limited. 

After all, we have Big Chassis ARs available now in a plethora of calibers … from .22-250 to .450 MARLIN and 45 Raptor..

COMPLICATED??
Maybe we should just start calling them BIG CHASSIS ARs,

But if all you Armalite true believers want to  complain that the rest of the world does not follow your naming convention, then so be it. 

Facts are facts, and calling a cucumber a rose will not change the smell 

And calling me a  troll will not change the facts.

Argue the facts, or shut your pie holes.

A R-ose by any other name …

AR-10?

308AR?

AR308?

Big Chassis AR?

Cucumber or cabbage?

What does it really matter what we call the rose … we will know it by the beauty of its smell.

I am well aware that a particular manufacturer of modern AR type rifles has copyrighted the AR10 name.

SO WHAT??

What it is called and what it is matters to people who buy parts and build these weapons. The name matters.  A MK11 isn't an AR-10, and an OBR isn't a SR-25.  Nor is a REPR a LAR 8  There are differences and the name matters.  308AR is generic term and those who deal with a variety of 308AR platforms find it easier to use 308AR as the macro view of the weapon and the MK11, AR-10, LR308, SR-25, M110, OBR, REPR, 417, etc etc etc the micro view for specific discussions.  

Although I can't speak for everyone, this is the way that the majority of us who shoot these weapons for a living and for recreation view this issue.  You obviously want to be part of this community so we ask that you honor this when discussing the many platforms here.  If not for yourself or the regulars, but for the new guys so that we may better assist them when they have questions about a specific platform....yes....most of us consider the term AR-10 a specific platform.  I think you will find most of us more receptive to that. 

Edited by StainTrain

He's just a complete fucking idiot, and a troll. However, he claims he was a professional gunsmiter, and people paid him for his services.

I think he's a joke.  He keeps proving it more everytime he posts something idiotic.

Hey Laz, you like those names?  You cast that stone, moron, so now you can have some of it back, you fucking embarrassment.  <thumbsup>

He's just a complete fucking idiot, and a troll. However, he claims he was a professional gunsmiter, and people paid him for his services.

I bet all those 308AR owners didn't read the fine print on the refund policy...

"All your AR-10s will be treated like AR-10s because all AR-10s are AR-10s.  Therefore no refunds will be issued for AR-10s that won't fire because they were repaired with AR-10 parts."

Edited by StainTrain

This is a small truck...and not a Ford Ranger. Just sayin. image.jpg

No it's a Chevy s-10 they are both light trucks it doesn't matter that they use different parts and built by different companies they're still both light trucks

Edited by shepp

No it's a Chevy s-10 they are both light trucks it doesn't matter that they use different parts and built by different companies they're still both light trucks

Anyone can plainly see that it is a Mercedes compact from Europe.  Narrow for the streets, short for the foot bridges.

Anyone can plainly see that it is a Mercedes compact from Europe. Narrow for the streets, short for the foot bridges.

We all know that the original pickup was in fact a modified Conestoga Wagon, therefore all pickups by virtue of their heritage should be called "wagons".